Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is it possible that the health care funding has something to do with your gas tax?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
$5 for a gallon of gasoline in 2012 - Dec. 27, 2010

The former president of Shell Oil, John Hofmeister, says Americans could be paying $5 for a gallon of gasoline by 2012.
Not quite $5 yet, but getting closer...

Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing is for sure: my future retirement home will not be using heating oil. Most likely it will be a hybrid of solar, LPG, kerosene and firewood.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #64
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratto View Post
One thing is for sure: my future retirement home will not be using heating oil. Most likely it will be a hybrid of solar, LPG, kerosene and firewood.
If you're 6 feet under (your future final "retirement home"), you don't need to worry about it ...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
If you're 6 feet under (your future final "retirement home"), you don't need to worry about it ...
rescueme, you're so bad! I almost ruined my keyboard while sipping my tea.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Isn't that interesting. Though I didn't post on the thread, I remember his projection, and I remember thinking the guy was a loon. Shows you what I know.

$5/gal gas looks inevitable this year now. We've seen $4.459/gal here already (not to mention downtown Chicago which is already over $5), and the summer formulations will only push prices up this summer.

However, the crude oil prices don't correlate with the gas prices we're seeing, at least based on what we say in 2008. So maybe there's some fluff that will shake out, but I'm not holding my breath...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
However, the crude oil prices don't correlate with the gas prices we're seeing, at least based on what we say in 2008. So maybe there's some fluff that will shake out, but I'm not holding my breath...
In reality these prices don't really even correlate with current supply and demand, either. It's based on what *might* happen and the futures markets (both businesses hedging future costs and pure speculators) jack up the price of oil. It can rise $10 a barrel overnight if someone in the Middle East sneezes the wrong way, even though ***nothing*** has changed about the current supply and demand balance.

Frankly, the way the oil market is today pretty much guarantees no robust recovery. As soon as really promising economic numbers come out, we'll see $150-200 oil and that will kill it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
In reality these prices don't really even correlate with current supply and demand, either. It's based on what *might* happen and the futures markets (both businesses hedging future costs and pure speculators) jack up the price of oil. It can rise $10 a barrel overnight if someone in the Middle East sneezes the wrong way, even though ***nothing*** has changed about the current supply and demand balance.

Frankly, the way the oil market is today pretty much guarantees no robust recovery. As soon as really promising economic numbers come out, we'll see $150-200 oil and that will kill it.
I can't disagree. I hope we'll be pleasantly surprised, but not betting on it...it's more out of our hands as a country than ever, and will only get more so IMO.

But I've been surprised many times before. I remember when I was expecting Japan was going to be "the superpower" - that sure didn't come to pass.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #69

We already have better options than $20/hr gas.

The Volt is too expensive at current gas prices, but move gas to $8/gallon and they will sell as fast as they can be built. Most people live close enough to work that they would need very little gasoline if they owned a Volt.

Businesses are already starting to switch everything they can over to natural gas. I expect to see some gas stations on major trucking routes start providing natural gas refueling. I wouldn't be surprised to see much of our trucking switch over to natural gas in the next ten years.

I think we may have seen peak gasoline demand in the US.

We are now a net exporter of refined fuels. There are a growing number of businesses in the US that benefit from higher gas prices, and our other business have shrinking dependence on gas. In twenty years, I wouldn't be stunned to have high gas prices be a net positive to the US economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Why not? Gas was $1.03/gallon 12 years ago.

Vehicle Technologies Program: Fact #364: March 21, 2005 Historical Gas Prices, 1919–2004

So we have had a 3x-4x increase in just 12 years. I fully expect a 5x-6x increase over the next 30 years (about 5-6% growth). Unless some affordable alternate energy form takes off before then, but we didn't get that in the past 30 years either.

-ERD50
Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
We already have better options than $20/hr gas.

I think we may have seen peak gasoline demand in the US.

We are now a net exporter of refined fuels. There are a growing number of businesses in the US that benefit from higher gas prices, and our other business have shrinking dependence on gas. In twenty years, I wouldn't be stunned to have high gas prices be a net positive to the US economy.
Sounds like you read this. I did, and it's certainly a thought provoking book...

Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #71

I haven't actually.

I just saw the export numbers for last year, and was surprised that our largest export was refined fuels, and that we were a net exporter of them for the first time in many decades.

Our GDP has returned to pre-crisis levels, but our gasoline consumption (and employment ) are dramatically lower.

It would be ironic indeed if twenty years from now we are hoping for higher gas prices to juice our economy.

Quote:
Sounds like you read this. I did, and it's certainly a thought provoking book...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
$5/gal gas looks inevitable this year now. We've seen $4.459/gal here already (not to mention downtown Chicago which is already over $5), and the summer formulations will only push prices up this summer.
That's amazing. I filled up yesterday and paid $3.79/gal. I know there are differences based on location, but I didn't realize i was that big. Back in the DC metro area it tends to run 20-30 cents higher, but I think that's mostly a reflection of higher real estate costs. The difference between diesel and gas (~10%) vs. the difference in mpg for our diesel Bug (45-50 mpg) is really paying off these days.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
The Volt is too expensive at current gas prices, but move gas to $8/gallon and they will sell as fast as they can be built. Most people live close enough to work that they would need very little gasoline if they owned a Volt.
I work at home full time, rarely drive out of town and put maybe 4,000 miles a year on my car lately. And since I can get from any place in town from any other place without going on streets with posted speed limits over 35, I am more and more tempted to get a "neighborhood electric vehicle" and use that for all my puttering around town.

At its current price I'd sooner ride a bike even in the Texas summer than buy a Volt.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #74

A Volt is always going to be a bad choice if you don't drive much.

Of course, if you don't drive much, gas prices aren't a big concern.

Quote:
I work at home full time, rarely drive out of town and put maybe 4,000 miles a year on my car lately. And since I can get from any place in town from any other place without going on streets with posted speed limits over 35, I am more and more tempted to get a "neighborhood electric vehicle" and use that for all my puttering around town.

At its current price I'd sooner ride a bike even in the Texas summer than buy a Volt.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29

I've been using my bicycle for most of my around town transportation since I fired last month. Once my sedentary cubicle body got used to it, I much prefer it over using the car. I took a risk and splurged on a nice city bike that rides efficiently. That and the fact that my suburb is well developed makes going to the market a fun activity and not a chore.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

A place down the road sells golf carts...it sounds like a good idea. I think that one of the best things we ever did was to build our 1300 sq. ft. house on 10 acres of oak trees (although it took 5 years!). We are self-sufficient except for electricity - we do have a generator, though. Last month our power bill was $54.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #77

We just drove chicago to phoenix. I should have kept track of gas prices, but itt was too depressing. I dont want to see the next credit card bill.

I just garaged my F-150 and I'll drive my corvette(24mpg) whenever I need to drive during the spring/summer/fall. Also bike whenever I can. And i work remotely 90 % of the time I have to work. So with a little planning, I won't need to use much gas.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I just garaged my F-150 and I'll drive my corvette(24mpg) whenever I need to drive during the spring/summer/fall. Also bike whenever I can. And i work remotely 90 % of the time I have to work. So with a little planning, I won't need to use much gas.
Tells you something about the F-150 when a Corvette is the "economical" option on gas...

Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Tells you something about the F-150 when a Corvette is the "economical" option on gas...
And both of them are better than the jeep grand Cherokee I just sold. But you're right - its funny that the corvette is the "economical" option. We've been joking about how I've switched to my gas miser.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I feel sad now.

Though we usually drive very little in our daily life, the gas-guzzling MH is my concern. I really want to spend time in Alaska in it, but my wife said we should just take an Alaskan cruise. And the truth is that the gas for the RV round trip is higher than the cost for the cruise!

I still say screw the cost, because to me sitting on a boat watching the ice for an entire trip is boring. I would do that just by taking a water excursion if we go by RV. But the higher cost of the RV trip will just give more ammo to my wife's argument, and I am losing out here.

And if the gas price keeps going up, then I may just have to travel the TromboneAl's way. Yeah, camping out along the Alcan highway besides a little Toyota Echo, and hope I would wake up in time in my tent to shoot the intruding grizzly with my 357. But how do I even get the gun through Canada?