Stocks looking a lot like April

Hey, Dex has his methods and y'all have yours. Personally, I'm with him in anticipating bad things happening in the economy. I just don't believe these guys (Bernanke, Geithner, etc) are smart enough to continue balancing the ball on their nose without dropping it at some point. I don't buy into the bands and charts and such so much, but to each his own. I was over 50% in cash before the 2008 crash, mostly through extenuating circumstances, but the half of my net worth that was in cash is still worth more than the half that was in the market. That's with me being FIRE and not adding anything.

The rampant glee and "I told you so" attitude in this thread and in the general investing public has me leaning more to cashing out my existing 50% in equities than it does to jumping back in full force. This sounds an awful lot like the way people were jumping down the throats of posters who were warning us about the market back in 2007. And there are obviously a lot more market timers here than we tend to admit to.

Dex, feel free to keep posting your opinions. Just like everyone else here, they're worth what they cost.

Just like everyone else here, they're worth what they cost.

Some folks have better track records than others. And if there is any positive value to be had from an opinion forum, one has to try to separate the wheat from the chaff.

The rampant glee and "I told you so" attitude in this thread and in the general investing public has me leaning more to cashing out my existing 50% in equities than it does to jumping back in full force. This sounds an awful lot like the way people were jumping down the throats of posters who were warning us about the market back in 2007. And there are obviously a lot more market timers here than we tend to admit to.

Dex, feel free to keep posting your opinions. Just like everyone else here, they're worth what they cost.
First of all, no one suggested he wasn't free to post opinions, so please don't mistake disagreement or even criticism with censorship. That's a common mistake people make when defending what they perceive to be unpopular arguments. Critical response to someone's arguments is NOT censorship, folks, and is NOT an attempt to force someone to shut up.

Secondly, you make it sound like it's only the "anti market-timers" doing the I told you so routine. Have you already forgotten late 2008 and early 2009 when some of the seers of doom came back to exact revenge on folks whose 401Ks became 201Ks?

And finally, I don't know many people who are "raging bulls" who see explosive growth ahead -- just that there may be enough in the long run that they don't feel confident in going 100% defensive at this point or at any other point. Considering all the "expert" money managers whose calls are so regularly bad (to be fair, some are a bit better but none are what I'd call a "long term guru"), tuning out the noise and keeping with a steady plan at least avoids worst-case outcomes.

Last edited:
Ziggy, this is not directed at you personally, but at the idea that someone should welcome what is called criticism but is most often just carping.

Realistically, a person would have to be masochistic to keep posting getting the "criticism" that Dex has seen here. Why do it? Should he care if we lose all our money?

Like I said to one poster who likes to demand what he calls evidence "sorry pal, but I pass". It is a disease of white middle class American men to think that they should be free "criticize" like this and still expect a continuance of any interaction.

Sometimes the most critical people produce the fewest helpful ideas (often enough no ideas at all), other than that whatever their target says is wrong.They make great candidates for the ignore function.

Ha

Hey, Dex has his methods and y'all have yours.
I'm not sure which method has the better track record-- asset allocation or going to 100% cash, but I haven't had to spend every waking moment keeping an eye on the market.

Maybe I'll have to spend more time on the Passion Savings website.

Ziggy, this is not directed at you personally, but at the idea that someone should welcome what is called criticism but is most often just carping.

Realistically, a person would have to be masochistic to keep posting getting the "criticism" that Dex has seen here. Why do it? Should he care if we lose all our money?

Like I said to one poster who likes to demand what he calls evidence "sorry pal, but I pass". It is a disease of white middle class American men to think that they should be free "criticize" like this and still expect a continuance of any interaction.

Sometimes the most critical people produce the fewest helpful ideas (often enough no ideas at all), other than that whatever their target says is wrong.They make great candidates for the ignore function.

Ha

Here are my thoughts about 'carping' in general.
- three of the people that posted here are on my ignore list, so I don't see their posts.
- 'carping' is more a refection on that person than on the OP.
- some people think they are funnier than they actually are - their posts might help them in some way.
- some have personality disorders but, I read their posts anyway.

What is negative about this that it might inhibit some people from posting.

You can find out a lot about a person from their relation with money. Discussions about it can elicit some emotional responses.

Everyone can tell a good post from a bad one. A good one gives a rational for their position. A bad one just makes a judgment.

if you keep crying "WOLF" eventually a wolf will show up.

Chased by a bear.

1287776472866.jpg

Back
Top Bottom