Suggestions on How to Spend More Money

Is this thread a sign of a market top, similar to when you start getting stock tips from the checkout clerk at the grocery?

Last time I felt this way was December of 2007. You be the judge.

I find I am more willing to spend to a limit, however, I still look for trade offs.

Bought a Blue Ray player that allows for Netflix view now. So I upped my internet speed, reduced the number of disk I get from Netflix per month, and added Blue Ray. Total change about $10 a month, but have access to more movies on big TV and sound system.

I'll upgrade the computer sometime this year. I am still stuck on what to get here. Needs to be a desk top, looking for speed, but don't know why, I just want it fast. Thinking of an AMD Phenom processor rather than Intel. Trade off is about $200 in cost.

We will also take a second Cruise this year, once more it is a repositioning cruise which gives us 14 days for $600 plus air fair.

One thing slowing us down is our retirement income comes in four chunks. Two have kicked in and two have not. That other two is almost two thirds of our income. Until then we are working on savings. That slows the spending down considerably.

Maybe we should add "rebalancing" and "taking some off the table" to the lists...
Not to highjack this thread, but my finger has been hovering over the Exchange button in my equities index fund account all morning. I should rebalance, but putting more money into bonds right now seems dangerous, and I already have too much cash. What to do? What to do? :confused:

What have you spent money on that you felt was worth the expense?
Maybe this idea would be better for those who posted in that other thread that they feel in touch with their inner child (I didn't).... but my Wii has provided me with many delightful hours of recreation.

My inner cheap-old-bastard and my inner-child are frequently at war with one another. Recently the inner-child has gotten smarter, and has been able to convince the cheap-bastard to cut loose with some funds.

The Great Recession had given the cheap dude the upper hand. Whenever the little twerp came by to ask for money the old guy would shout[-] "get out of my yard" [/-] "no way, we have to hang on to every penny or we'll be eating Lil Friskies fer dinner!"

The cheap guy is hard-headed, but he does learn the lessons eventually. Like the fact that there is no way to buy an extra second of life to enjoy. And that being too thrifty can lessen the enjoyment of what time there is left, or even add to the frustration level.
I'll upgrade the computer sometime this year. I am still stuck on what to get here. Needs to be a desk top, looking for speed, but don't know why, I just want it fast. Thinking of an AMD Phenom processor rather than Intel. Trade off is about $200 in cost..
My inner-kid just won this battle a couple of weeks ago. The old system was causing more nightmares than I could stomach and had to be upgraded. For the first time I let the priorities of needs overrule the price concerns. Quad processor, 4 gigs memory, 3 Tb HD's in a RAID 5 array, and a video card that made my eldest (the computer geek) turn green with envy. The reward is that I actually get to use my system to do what I want and need it to do. I still have tons of video rendering I need to do, and I no longer put it off because the system can't handle it very well. Instead of hitting "render" and going away for several hours, now I can render in the background, listen to music, download an online video, and cruise the internet while Quicken is downloading transactions. I still looked at bang for the buck when picking things, it's just that I decided the bang was important this time and didn't always pick the cheaper route. I hit the "shuffle" key sometimes and see all the concurrently running programs smoothly doing their thing and I think "that's how it's supposed to be."

Maybe we should add "rebalancing" and "taking some off the table" to the lists...
Yeah. Problem is, everything else stinks now, too. I think that's part of the reason for the runup in stocks. Quality bonds yield 4% and have a lot of interest rate risk and inflation risk at current levels and cash is yielding 1% or less.

I suspect the lack of attractive alternatives has been drawing a lot of money into stocks.

Well I guess we're doing our part to "spend more"!

DH just dropped $5K on a new camera body.

Of course, his old camera body is 5 years old and pretty out of date in many key features, and he had taken over 60,000 photos with it.

So, I guess this will be Happy 55th Birthday for him!

(But wait! I thought we were buying him a new house for his birthday!:confused:)

Audrey

One lifestyle change that we haven't quite figured out yet is "recreational travel". We're great at "travel with a purpose"-- accompanying spouse when she was on Reserve orders, attending family events, or traveling to conferences. But we're still not very good at "what the heck, let's take a cruise next week" travel. We'll work on this in another 136 days when our kid starts college...
Great post Nords!!!!

LOL! If I lived in Hawaii, I'm not sure how much "recreational travel" I'd be doing either - other than inter-island travel, that is.

Audrey

Not to highjack this thread, but my finger has been hovering over the Exchange button in my equities index fund account all morning. I should rebalance, but putting more money into bonds right now seems dangerous, and I already have too much cash. What to do? What to do? :confused:
Yeah. Problem is, everything else stinks now, too. I think that's part of the reason for the runup in stocks. Quality bonds yield 4% and have a lot of interest rate risk and inflation risk at current levels and cash is yielding 1% or less.
I suspect the lack of attractive alternatives has been drawing a lot of money into stocks.
We've been good at the "taking off the table" part-- sold a few more covered calls, made some charitable contributions of appreciated stock (easy to find appreciated stock these days!), set our share's dividends to be paid in cash vice reinvested, and sold a few more shares of a small-cap value ETF. AAs are back in the middle of their bands.

I'm not seeing anything I want to buy either. I'll just hold the cash in that rockin' 0.70% APY money-market account for a few months and see how "sell in May & go away" plays out.

When the market is setting highs it hasn't seen in months, and if W2R is going "Wheeeee!", then I'm not sure there is such a thing as "too much cash"...

LOL! If I lived in Hawaii, I'm not sure how much "recreational travel" I'd be doing either - other than inter-island travel, that is.
The way we most often hear it expressed is "All y'alls are from Hawhyuh and yer vacationin' heeyer?!?"

Rumors of a family trip to Kalaupapa in May (but it's volunteer-related for spouse) and a "getting-to-re-know-you" empty-nester's inter-island cruise in the fall.

We've been good at the "taking off the table" part-- sold a few more covered calls, made some charitable contributions of appreciated stock (easy to find appreciated stock these days!), set our share's dividends to be paid in cash vice reinvested, and sold a few more shares of a small-cap value ETF. AAs are back in the middle of their bands.

I'm not seeing anything I want to buy either. I'll just hold the cash in that rockin' 0.70% APY money-market account for a few months and see how "sell in May & go away" plays out.

When the market is setting highs it hasn't seen in months, and if W2R is going "Wheeeee!", then I'm not sure there is such a thing as "too much cash"...
We finally pulled the trigger this morning and moved 4% from equities to, gag, a money market fund. Still looking for some way to earn more than 0.52%. Maybe it is time to look into USAA CDs.

Perhaps one of the reasons that the market has been on such a tear lately is that investors look at the options and...
stan1.gif

There are cheaper alternatives

We were just informed that our kids will get absolutely no financial aid for college. That's $50K+ per year new spending. Would you like to help?

First try in state schools, they are cheaper than the 50k per year. Second look at community college for the first 2 years, thats 5-6k per year. Both work as well. In particular if the kids are looking at grad school, thats the more critical school than the undergraduate school, if you go to a major state school. Many years ago my dad said I will pay your way to any in state school, (1968-1972) which even then was 3x cheaper than a private/out of state school.
In any case unless you want to go to some companies on wall street where you go doesnt make a lot of difference.

I sanned a number of the photos from my family

I'm having a bunch of family slides scanned that I'll send to my siblings.

My folks made a large contribution every three years to a family reunion. In the early years it made coming cheap enough that none of the kids missed it. In later years it did the same for the kids' kids.

Coach
If retired, a good scanner is only a couple of hundred dollars and you can get a 1 tb drive for about 100 today. So rather than pay someone get a scanner (I have an epson 4490) It works great, scans prints as well as slides. (Slides if scanned at 4800 dpi do take about 12 mins for 4 slides)

Firearms, alcohol, and fishing. Sometimes they can be combined (in the correct order) to create an experience. No, seriously, I'm usually happy with 2 out of 3. Don't wanna get the juices flowin' too fast. New hobbies that tie into existing ones. Fly tying, gunsmithing, blender shopping (thanks ER forum).

Otherwise, new technology: to enjoy music (in-dash mp3 CD player); "new" Nikon D40 digital cam. to capture family moments, trips (camping, 2-3 day fishing resort getaways, weekends with family at a mutually selected location, annual trips with friends), etc. I, too, am firmly in the 'experiences' category.

What provides benefit to you, Al, so that we know where you're comin' from?

-CC

I figured out how to spend more money today, and did it!

How to spend more money in retirement - - such a dilemma.

So, I bought a Kindle this afternoon.

I am really hoping that the enlarged font will make reading easier on my aging eyes. I thought and thought - - do I want the standard Kindle with the 6" display, or the DX version with the larger display? The latter might be easier to see with the large fonts, but it is heavier too so that could be a disadvantage and the small one would fit in my purse.

So, I ordered the small one. It should arrive on Tuesday, and the website said that if I didn't like it that within 30 days I could return it for a full refund. I could do that and then get the larger one if I have any regrets.

I'm considering this

Toshiba Regza 40XF550U 40-inch 120Hz LCD TV

but I think we'll get something at Costco that we could return.

Also, I've got a great idea for a short trip. I can't share it here because it's a surprise for DW, who lurks here.

Spring is here, so I just bought two pairs of New Balance walking shoes (buy one pair, get 50% off the second pair).

Splurged on some costume jewellery and a scarf at a neat store at the Toronto airport the other day.

I am thinking about a new laptop to replace my 2003 Toshiba. PC or Mac? I would like something that's easier to carry as I travel a lot. And it would be a corporate expense.

Bought a property last month. Tenants are lined up and will be moving in soon. This may be my ER home in X years. Meanwhile it's an investment. Lowered my interest rate on the mortgage for another rental property, before interest rates rise. ING is great, now I have 5 years locked in at 4.8%.

Perhaps one of the reasons that the market has been on such a tear lately is that investors look at the options and...
stan1.gif
I think that *is* the reason. To some degree the rally was simply correcting for the fact that stocks were pricing for economic armageddon, and when the worst case didn't seem to materialize they repriced somewhat higher.

But I think the length and steepness of the rally is largely due to the fact that all the other alternatives to equities flat out suck right now. Bonds have been in a 25-year bull market and would seem at high risk of inflation and higher interest rates, and cash equivalents return less than zero after taxes and inflation. People are holding their nose and buying stocks, I think, simply because the alternatives are so terrible at the moment.

I hate shopping for clothes. Everything I have is starting to fade and fray. It's been so long I have no idea what size I wear. There's a Sears not far from me.

Khan said:
It is mystifying. I keep spending less.

Khan said:
I do give money to people on a random basis (my own criteria).

Knowing that you make charity donations, may I suggest another way of [-]giving[/-] spending money?

Just now, being outside w*rking on my RV, I met a man who was biking around my neighborhood inserting his business cards into door jambs. He does ceramic tile work, and wants to drum up some work for himself. I like that, and wish I have some work for him.

You mentioned in another post that your house needed maintenance work. Spring is around the corner. Please find a contractor, hopefully an honest one, and let him help you. Everybody can win, and everybody can feel good.

We recently made an unplanned purchase and, though not a large one, has made a nice difference in the curbside appearance of the house as well as the back garden area. My SO was watching QVC a few weeks ago and they had a special deal on a set of solar landscaping lights. He really liked them (which is very unusual since he rarely shows any interest in the garden or landscaping in general), and decided to order them. Well, I have to give him credit for this, they are *really* nice and have worked out great.

Every so often I am surprised by something like this - a relatively small purchase that makes a big difference. It's nice when it works out this way! :)

Back
Top Bottom