Surest Way to $1M

Isn't that the purpose of government? Not sure why kindness and benevolence even enters into the discussion. Your hmmmm implies that you think I somehow disagree?

Your post seemed to imply that "the gov't" deserved some sort of credit for the achievements of the successful as though it was some sort of independent entity apart from the citizens who formed it and fund it. My pov is the gov't is a subset of the citizens. The successful citizens provide the resources and frequently the direction for shared services to be provided and delivered. There is no need for them to share credit with some perceived second party named "gov't." They are the gov't.

Of course here in Illinois, the politicians have a completely different view of the role of gov't........... :(

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone mention the way many get to $1M.
Having the good luck/fate to have wealthy parents.
Even if they don't inherit - they are usually able to go to better schools, without accruing student debt, making the connections with future board room buddies.

I've seen studies that show the best indicator of financial success is the wealth of the parents.

The successful citizens provide the resources and frequently the direction for shared services to be provided and delivered. There is no need for them to share credit with some perceived second party named "gov't." They are the gov't.
But some of them act like the government, their fellow citizens, and their employees don't even count in the equation. As you say, the citizens are the government and the government provides the foundation on which the successful build their success. They owe a debt to America just like everyone. Some seem to be saying the government (i.e. all their fellow citizens) owe them for being the job creators. Or, as your first sentence above could be construed (not as you intended I suspect) -- that some elite undefined subset of citizens, the " successful citizens" provide the resources and direction for government.

Last edited:
That was before my time, and I have not seen the movie either. However, $1M back then was worth $7.52M now.

Hey, that $7.5M is reasonably close to the $8.3M reported in another thread as the minimum net worth of the top 1%. I propose that if this movie is remade, it shall be entitled "How to marry a 1% dude".

I know it sounds like a broken record and I wish Nords would write for "Money" cuz he would tell them it's not about how much you make.... it's how much you save and don't spend.
I'm late getting caught up on this thread, but if anyone here knows someone at Money then I'd be happy to give them a free article or two...

Back
Top Bottom