Suze Orman Advises Against ER!

If you feel that way (I don't watch her so have no opinion on her at all)...why do you watch at all?

i only watch the can i affort it segment then off it goes . its amazing how clueless folks can be.

I don't like her condescending attitude and her preachy nasally voice. Her speaking in the 3rd person and constantly saying her name is very annoying too. I really can't stand her and fast forward through 80% of the show watching the Can I Afford It and How am I doing segments.

+1

If you feel that way (I don't watch her so have no opinion on her at all)...why do you watch at all?

I don't now, but I have seen her just enough to form the same opinion. You watch, you don't like, you move on.

+1. Same question I had on another thread (and others before), some of the same posters even, and had my head handed to me there for pointing it out (without naming). If you don't agree with someone that's absolutely fine, even welcome, just explain why objectively and leave it at that. What I don't get are the nasty personal attacks, especially without explaining why someone disagrees on content. I doubt "we" would be that nasty if not for Internet anonymity, a poor excuse IMO.

Again, I don't follow Suze so I am not defending her in particular. Flame away if you'd like...

Last edited:
i only watch the can i affort it segment then off it goes . its amazing how clueless folks can be.

What scares the devil out of me is that these Spendzillas VOTE & seem to expect the same reckless spending behavior out of their gov't :crazy:

When I used to watch her, it was painful to see her tell people what they couldnt do. Seemed if you followed her ideas, that you would never be "good" enough to retire, let alone early. Once i personally threw off the chains of bad advice and negative talk, I could walk free into FIRE. Walk your own walk.

I don't take retirement advice from people who are not retired.:D

The second was "Under no circumstances should you assume you can afford to retire early. Stop working at 60 or so and your savings, social security, and pension may have to sustain you for 25 or 30 years."
Tango, sorry for jumping into the thread so late. But, I'm curious. How did you jump from the quoted statement above to the bolded statement below? The above statement just doesn't seem to drive your conclusion below.
Now I understand this was a short (two page) article that is addressed to the masses----but to say that no one should retire early? What about people whose pensions are COLA and who get 90% or more of their ending pay? What about people who have saved lots of money?

Don't know what she would say about those of us who have retired early---would she say that we were crazy and did a foolish thing?

My own opinion is that few should "assume" they can retire early. Tools like FireCalc and a decent understanding of everyday finances come into play.

I'm not familar with Orman's work, but based on the statement you quoted, I don't see a problem. Folks shouldn't just "assume" they can retire early. Her quote doesn't say that "no one should retire early."

Last edited:
Not sure why you guys think her advice has no value on this forum?

I garee the majority here are most likely long past needing her advice, but surely there are younger members who could get a little value from some of her advice.

I'm sure many folks who read this forum could learn a thing or two from Suzie.

I just don't believe we should simply dismiss her, as she has done a lot of good.

Both Dave and Suze are targeting people who have no clue how to handle money, who dont even know principle from interest,....

....or know the difference between principle and principal :)

Sorry - couldn't resist.

For most posters here, watching Suze is like Einstein attending a high school physics class.

Some of the Can I Afford It participants are living so far beyond their means, I sometimes wonder if the calls are real. I imagine the more extreme cases are deemed "better TV", thus get aired more often than do ordinary ones.

Last edited:
Not sure why you guys think her advice has no value on this forum?
I garee the majority here are most likely long past needing her advice, but surely there are younger members who could get a little value from some of her advice.
I'm sure many folks who read this forum could learn a thing or two from Suzie.
I just don't believe we should simply dismiss her, as she has done a lot of good.
We've had this discussion a number of times, and the consensus is that Suze does give good advice about getting out of debt.

My daughter's teen years were spent learning the rules to "Can I Afford It?", and she's heard "You are SO denied" many times. However the "How Am I Doing" segment has been a springboard for discussion. Even a teenager begins to question Suze's advice when she knows that both of her parents are retired and are still in their 40s, much less their 60s. I'm talking about the teenager's parents, not Suze's parents.

Suze just refuses to see the gray areas of early retirement, and she refuses to admit when she's ignorant. In her black & white world you're either 67 years old and living off the dividends (never touching the P-word) or you're dutifully slaving away in a corporate environment that is (for most people) a much different world than hers.

She's also destroyed her credibility by flogging cars for GM and with her debit card.

But, hey, you can read these posts and decide for yourself:
Suze Orman’s debit card does not support the troops (the incident where she called a top 20 personal finance blogger an "idiot" on Twitter)
Suze Orman’s bad military divorce advice
Suze Orman disrespects the military again
Suze Orman advises a dual-military couple

She's also destroyed her credibility by flogging cars for GM and with her debit card.
Since I don't follow her (though I've seen her on TV a few time), I wasn't aware of either. So I Googled, and read a little. Whoops, doesn't do much for her credibility.

Though it appears her very basic advice on debt and budgeting is very helpful to many people, sad but true. But anything beyond that like investing, retirement - the wheelhouse of this group, not so much...

I read one of her first books many years ago and thought it was pretty decent information at that time. Since then she has become more entertainment than anything and after all she is a fairly decent looking blonde in a black leather cat suit. Just too bad she bats for the home team, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
she is a fairly decent looking blonde in a black leather cat suit.

I could care less what her predelictions are, but she is one of the scariest looking chicks I can think of. Up there with Grace Jones, IMO. Plus the advice she dispenses is alternately ignorant and embarassingly basic.

I could care less what her predelictions are, but she is one of the scariest looking chicks I can think of. Up there with Grace Jones, IMO. Plus the advice she dispenses is alternately ignorant and embarassingly basic.

:LOL:

Grace Jones is scary looking!

Tango, sorry for jumping into the thread so late. But, I'm curious. How did you jump from the quoted statement above to the bolded statement below? The above statement just doesn't seem to drive your conclusion below.

My own opinion is that few should "assume" they can retire early. Tools like FireCalc and a decent understanding of everyday finances come into play.

I'm not familar with Orman's work, but based on the statement you quoted, I don't see a problem. Folks shouldn't just "assume" they can retire early. Her quote doesn't say that "no one should retire early."

Youbet, the way I interpreted was that she was saying under no circumstances should anyone retire. She didn't qualify it with "Unless you are one of the select few who has saved millions, live simply, have a great pension, etc." I do agree that the fast majority shouldn't assume they can retire early. But as you pointed out, she didn't then go the next step and point out that people can use something like FireCalc to go beyond the assumption and do the math....

Suze just refuses to see the gray areas of early retirement, and she refuses to admit when she's ignorant. In her black & white world you're either 67 years old and living off the dividends (never touching the P-word) or you're dutifully slaving away in a corporate environment that is (for most people) a much different world than hers.

But, hey, you can read these posts and decide for yourself:
Suze Orman’s debit card does not support the troops (the incident where she called a top 20 personal finance blogger an "idiot" on Twitter)
Suze Orman’s bad military divorce advice
Suze Orman disrespects the military again
Suze Orman advises a dual-military couple

1. Agree Suzie appears to be overly concerned with retirement and only sees black and white. However, in her defense, I've listened to some of her programs, and she is right, that many to the majority of us are not properly prepared for retirement..

2. Agree her debit card didn't go over so well.

3. I read the articles on the links you provided, and I'm not sure what this guy has against her. IMHO the titles are a little misleading. I just don't see why the first one has the title "Suze Orman’s debit card does not support the troops"? Maybe I missed something in the article about our troops? The same goes with "Suze Orman disrespects the military again"; again, maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any disrespect there, only her advice indicating she didn't think it was a prudent purchase. Mr. Nordman apparently doesn't agree with Suzie, but to sensationalize his titles is just as bad to me.

4. Maybe Suzie has lost her way lately, and she's far from perfect; but she's managed to privide many with some sound wisdom over her career.

Youbet, the way I interpreted was that she was saying under no circumstances should anyone retire. She didn't qualify it with "Unless you are one of the select few who has saved millions, live simply, have a great pension, etc." I do agree that the fast majority shouldn't assume they can retire early. But as you pointed out, she didn't then go the next step and point out that people can use something like FireCalc to go beyond the assumption and do the math....
As several have already mentioned, actually she did based on your OP:
The second was "Under no circumstances should you assume you can afford to retire early. Stop working at 60 or so and your savings, social security, and pension may have to sustain you for 25 or 30 years."
That last sentence matches up to the math FIRECALC is based on.

Like some others here, you don't care for Suze Orman, got it...

3. I read the articles on the links you provided, and I'm not sure what this guy has against her. IMHO the titles are a little misleading. I just don't see why the first one has the title "Suze Orman’s debit card does not support the troops"? Maybe I missed something in the article about our troops? The same goes with "Suze Orman disrespects the military again"; again, maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any disrespect there, only her advice indicating she didn't think it was a prudent purchase. Mr. Nordman apparently doesn't agree with Suzie, but to sensationalize his titles is just as bad to me.
Maybe I'm missing the irony/sarcasm, but you realize that I am "this guy" you're referring to?

Her debit card (with its fees) doesn't support anyone-- especially not the unbanked-- including the troops. "Support" would be having the card pay its expenses from advertising, or donating the profits to some worthy cause. But admonishing people that her product is good for them, and then charging for it, and then calling her critics "idiots"... I'm not feelin' the love there.

As for the disrespect, that's why I included the transcript. She missed a valuable opportunity to discuss military benefits with her audience. Would you like to be spoken to that way in a private conversation, let alone on national TV?

Back
Top Bottom