The "Do I Have Enough?" and "Should I Quit Now?" debates

mathjak107 said:
just the opposite seems to be happening.each year the tax brackets are extended upward increasing the 15% and 25% tax brackets higher and higher by about 3,000 bucks.its been doing so for quite a long time now.at this rate you can earn 100,000 bucks or so and still be in the 15 % bracket in a bunch more years

You'll have to go back to the 1980's and thank Reagan for indexing the tax brackets to inflation . . . eliminated "bracket creep" that was a huge problem in the late 70's early 80's.

3 Yrs to Go said:
You'll have to go back to the 1980's and thank Reagan for indexing the tax brackets to inflation . . . eliminated "bracket creep" that was a huge problem in the late 70's early 80's.

well, it was the least he could considering that he also racked up the biggest deficit in history up until then. Of course, that was history....now we have W, who has brought 'guns AND butter' to yet another level

If you have a problem with Reagan's indexing of tax brackets to account for inflation, simply calculate your taxes without the indexing and send in the extra money. The tax forms have provisions for sending in extra to apply against the debt.

youbet said:
If you have a problem with Reagan's indexing of tax brackets to account for inflation, simply calculate your taxes without the indexing and send in the extra money. The tax forms have provisions for sending in extra to apply against the debt.

my problem is with the deficit spending which causes inflation which necessitates the indexing.

given the deficit spending, I'll take the indexing.

I would be happy to pay more taxes if I could "line-item" them....specify which programs they would apply to. This, to me, would be democracy in action--voting with the pocketbook.

Back
Top Bottom