Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The "Do I Have Enough?" and "Should I Quit Now?" debates
Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole
If you saved and your neighbor of the same age didn't, expect to share.
I fully expect this to happen. I also fully expect that many previous law-abiding citizens will become criminals (tax-evasion) at this time.

Of course, I myself would NEVER break the law.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have always assumed that the introduction of Roths simply provide a temptation to find another way to tax "tax exempt" cash. Plain ol' sales tax won't be enough.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

> If I run FIRECalc (the most conservative of the calculators I've found), I can withdraw > almost as much as my current "take home" with a 95% success prediction.*

Help me here - I am new here and just started messing with FIRECalc ...

Why are you comparing FIRECalc's SWR against your current "take home" ?
FIRECalc does not back out axes does it ? (It can't really, since it doesn't
ask how much of your investment is iax-advantaged, taxable, etc).
So why would your SWR being equal to "take home" be ok ?

John

Old 09-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just thought I would offer some information on the real amount of SS one can expect to receive. This will not work for everyone and there are some that would say if you are paying taxes on more SS benefits you have enough other income not to worry about it. That said it has been our experience that fully 25% of our SS benefits are returned to the govenment. This is due to MEDICARE costs (just the currently $88.50 (heading for $93.50 each next year)) times 2 paid each month (of course you never see that; they just take it, but, it comes off the gross). Of course you can eliminate that if you dare since it is Part B and optional. Additionally we have paid taxes on 85% of SS last year and expect about the same or a little less this year. So when you say you will be getting X benefit per month just think about actually 3/4 of that number and with the latest on MEDICARE Monthly Deductions maybe less. And remember the base figures for calculating the amount of SS benefits that are taxable IS NOT INDEXED. And even tho you never see the MEDICARE Insurance deductions you will be taxed on them, as applicable, as they are part of your "gross" benefits.*
Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles
> If I run FIRECalc (the most conservative of the calculators I've found), I can withdraw > almost as much as my current "take home" with a 95% success prediction.*
Help me here - I am new here and just started messing with FIRECalc ...
Why are you comparing FIRECalc's SWR against your current "take home" ?
FIRECalc does not back out axes does it ?* (It can't really, since it doesn't
ask how much of your investment is iax-advantaged, taxable, etc).
So why would your SWR being equal to "take home" be ok ?
You're right, FIRECalc does not account for taxes. You have to enter your expenses into FIRECalc, and those expenses have to include your estimate of your taxes. Of course in ER those taxes are usually a good bit lower, as the FIRECalc documentation discusses.

You're also right in your SWR comments. Salary, take-home, and other pay-related comparisons to ER are no more relevant than those other still-working deadline-crunched journalists who claim that retirement will require 70-85% of your current salary. (Or at least somewhere between 0-150%.) What counts in ER is your current expenses, not what you used to earn.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Guy
So when you say you will be getting X benefit per month just think about actually 3/4 of that number and with the latest on MEDICARE Monthly Deductions maybe less.
Good point.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
just the opposite seems to be happening.each year the tax brackets are extended upward increasing the 15% and 25% tax brackets higher and higher by about 3,000 bucks.its been doing so for quite a long time now.at this rate you can earn 100,000 bucks or so and still be in the 15 % bracket in a bunch more years
You'll have to go back to the 1980's and thank Reagan for indexing the tax brackets to inflation . . . eliminated "bracket creep" that was a huge problem in the late 70's early 80's.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
You'll have to go back to the 1980's and thank Reagan for indexing the tax brackets to inflation . . . eliminated "bracket creep" that was a huge problem in the late 70's early 80's.
well, it was the least he could considering that he also racked up the biggest deficit in history up until then. Of course, that was history....now we have W, who has brought 'guns AND butter' to yet another level

Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you have a problem with Reagan's indexing of tax brackets to account for inflation, simply calculate your taxes without the indexing and send in the extra money. The tax forms have provisions for sending in extra to apply against the debt.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
If you have a problem with Reagan's indexing of tax brackets to account for inflation, simply calculate your taxes without the indexing and send in the extra money. The tax forms have provisions for sending in extra to apply against the debt.
my problem is with the deficit spending which causes inflation which necessitates the indexing.

given the deficit spending, I'll take the indexing.

I would be happy to pay more taxes if I could "line-item" them....specify which programs they would apply to. This, to me, would be democracy in action--voting with the pocketbook.