NASDAQ 4,850
S&P 500 2,150
10-Year 3.00%
Gold $1,200
Oil $65
$CAD $0.95

Dow will finish at 18714
S&P at 2202

Hmmm.....I think this coming year will be the one that tests my ER resolve (ER'd in Aug.). I'll jump in and guess:

19,600 DOW
2,110 S&P

Definitely bought some XOM today...when seven analysts say BUY, I buy...lol. I did enjoy our cheap gas prices, now its time to reinvest those dividends.

Still trying to figure out where to put the other cash stash.

DJI 19,500 S&P 2250.

Unless we have a strong first quarter and GDP sustains with low jobs numbers, then I will be back to revise my estimate higher provided there are no global catastrophes, bad weather, and just about anything else you could think of.

I think I want to revise my estimate already, based on some new knowledge. Politics aside (which is impossible as politics do affect markets). in years where there is a Dem Pres and Rep Senate, avg returns have been 21.3% (years 1961 to 2010).

With that in mind, I am going to already revise my estimate up on the S&P500: 2497.4 when the bell rings Dec 31, 2015.

Let's hope I win !

What Happens to the Stock Market in an Election Year?

Wow - well they are quite optimistic on the oil prices, IMO.
Recognize that these predictions were all made 12 months ago! I will post the current ones after the 2015 deadline.

For 2014, the category winners with forecasts were:
DOW avrex 17800
GOLD dubmac 1175
OIL HaroldCrump 82
all very close except for OIL!

Last edited:
I think I want to revise my estimate already, based on some new knowledge. Politics aside (which is impossible as politics do affect markets). in years where there is a Dem Pres and Rep Senate, avg returns have been 21.3% (years 1961 to 2010).

With that in mind, I am going to already revise my estimate up on the S&P500: 2497.4 when the bell rings Dec 31, 2015.

Let's hope I win !

What Happens to the Stock Market in an Election Year?
I think that article wa written at the start of 2012, and needs some serious updating.

My crystal ball for 2015 says DOW 16700 and S&P 1870. Most years it is wrong and I seriously hope it continues to be wrong based on these guesses.

Last edited:
I may have been too optimistic when I posted on this thread.

Will we be able to make up some lost ground in the last quarter and finish strong?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Well, since we humans seem to be trend confirming creatures I would expect that guesses for next year will be too low... (or so I hope)

I was expecting about a 10% correction this year, so both the Dow and S&P finished about 7% above my forecast so I guess I should be happy.

BTW, dividends will make the S&P and Dows total return positive this year.

I was expecting about a 10% correction this year, so both the Dow and S&P finished about 7% above my forecast so I guess I should be happy.

BTW, dividends will make the S&P and Dows total return positive this year.

Just barely! At least on the S&P500!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom