Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Gasoline.
Right.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2 thoughts.

1) should we have a 2 cent piece to replace the penny? it shouldnt cost anymore to make than a penny (and therefore wont cost more to make than it is worth) and would reduce the amount of rounding required if we got rid of the penny.

2) wrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's a big hurdle for people to have things cost an amount that can't be paid for without rounding. Once we eliminate the penny, that hurdle will be jumped, and it will be easier to eliminate nickels and dimes.

There's only one thing that I can think of that we pay cash for whose price usually has to be rounded up or down. It's something people buy every day. Can anyone guess what I'm thinking of?
Gasoline.

(I think newspapers do not have tax charged on them.)
Right.
please explain how gasoline is "usually" rounded.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
please explain how gasoline is "usually" rounded.
When you fill your tank with exactly 10 gallons, the cost doesn't have to be rounded: 10 gallons of gas X $2.999 = $29.99.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #44

Quote:
When you fill your tank with exactly 10 gallons, the cost doesn't have to be rounded: 10 gallons of gas X $2.999 = $29.99.
are there that many people who, when putting gas in their vehicle's tank, put in an even number of gallons? what i see usually happening (and saw when i worked at a gas station in my youth) was people would do 1 of 2 things; 1) fill 'er up or 2) put $X worth of gas into the tank. i dont see how rounding applies to these 2 cases.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
are there that many people who, when putting gas in their vehicle's tank, put in an even number of gallons? what i see usually happening (and saw when i worked at a gas station in my youth) was people would do 1 of 2 things; 1) fill 'er up or 2) put $X worth of gas into the tank. i dont see how rounding applies to these 2 cases.
In your two examples I believe the final cost is always rounded to the nearest penny (the "usually rounded" referred to earlier). Not sure if it's always rounded up to benefit the gas station but I suspect it is.

I thought you were questioning the "usually" in terms of cases when the cost is not rounded (which would only be when the total cost is an even cent).
Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #46

Quote:
In your two examples I believe the final cost is always rounded to the nearest penny (the "usually rounded" referred to earlier). Not sure if it's always rounded up to benefit the gas station but I suspect it is.

I thought you were questioning the "usually" in terms of cases when the cost is not rounded (which would only be when the total cost is an even cent).
well if this is what you mean by rounding then any time you buy produce priced by the pound there is always rounding. any time you buy any of the bulk food (which is priced by the pound) there is always rounding. any time you buy meat (which is priced by the pound) there is always rounding. and the list goes on and on. in fact, if when you buy gasoline you go inside and pay for $X, then computer will stop the pump right on $X worth of gasoline and an argument can be made that there is no rounding. but if you are controling the flow with your hand on the pump valve, even if you stop on what you think is the exact amount, you didnt and really there is rounding. i dont see the significance of buying gasoline and rounding. care to explain it to me?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Because gasoline is always priced in tenths of cents per unit and the other things you mentioned (and virtually everything except gasoline) are always priced in full cents per unit? I believe that is the only point Trombone Al was making.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Because gasoline is always priced in tenths of cents per unit and the other things you mentioned (and virtually everything except gasoline) are always priced in full cents per unit? I believe that is the only point Trombone Al was making.
thank you