Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The REAL Cost of Healthcare Premium Caps
Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: The REAL Cost of Healthcare Premium Caps

The minute we hit the general breaking point where companies will divest themselves of the medical benefits altogether is the minute the bill starts getting written.

Something tells me we're not terribly far from that point.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most people with jobs have no idea what their medical insurance cost. I pay our company bills so see the cost but since the company pays 100% I think most would be shocked if they had to pay it. If you had them pay $100 a month they would say that was the cost of the insurance then when offered COBRA at 1,400 they would be shocked.
Unless you are in excellent health insurance is not only expensive but hard to find.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Yes. It's impossible for health care spending to grow significantly faster than the economy as a whole indefinately. I think the law of large numbers is already starting to take hold and is probably the reason for the deceleration from 11% to 8%.

One can only hope.
I have been retired a little less than a year - I had an 18% increase when I turned 50 -- and was just notified that my payment is going up another 11.5% in July.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I have been retired a little less than a year - I had an 18% increase when I turned 50 -- and was just notified that my payment is going up another 11.5% in July.
Do you feel they gave you a teaser rate?
Have you tried looking at other insurance companies and seeing if maybe
they are jacking your rates up hoping you don't notice?
TJ
Old 06-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Do you feel they gave you a teaser rate?
Have you tried looking at other insurance companies and seeing if maybe
they are jacking your rates up hoping you don't notice?
TJ
Good point

I had heard that when you hit certain ages (50, 55 etc) it triggers an increase -- are others seeing this?
I will check on quotes from others and my current ins. co. thru the various health ins. brokers and see if they are "teasing" or if prices w/ them...and others have risen.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #26

Well, I checked -- the cost for my family showed up on ehealthinsurance......the same as my new cost -- no teaser here.

It seems like Bluecross is staying lower whle others are going up. I printed out all the quotes I got last year (in April) and used it as reference. BC was close, most others have gone up around 25% for me(big 5-0) and my family. Hopefully I will not see any other years with hikes like this. When I turn 55 my wife turns 50......that should be interesting.
It is still well w/in budget...so back to the "party".