The Safe Water Reservoir: (SWR): An analogy?

Thats because you Brits put up with less horsepuckey from your government ;)

And Uncle Al thinks CPI *overstates* inflation by ~1%...you know what THAT means.

We have an excellent supply of clean, cool water in Canada. :D

Maybe if you'd stop screwing us around on beef and softwood lumber, we'd sell you some.

.......and there is an awful lot of oil in the tarsands.

Zipper, I am looking out my window at work right now on the big lake the US shares with you. No water issues here. Oh, and I own some of those tarsands, for what it is worth.

Martha

Just curious Martha?

Which Lake?

I'm 30 minutes from Lake Erie, an hour from Lake Huron, and 90 minutes from Lake Ontario. :D

The big one, Superior. One upside to my job is the great view out the window of the big lake.

They don't call it "Superior" for nothing. Same with the
"Great" in Great Lakes. I have heard of people who had never seen nor been around the Great Lakes
who were awestruck when they finally got there.
They simply could not believe it.

JG

Martha, and others, if you are up Superior way and want some outstanding kayaking try the Apostle Islands. Wonderful caves to play in. Also Michigan has the Painted Rocks waterfront area. If you get really brave then go to Isle Royal. All is the big lake. One note,if you are planning to paddle in water as cold as Superior (there was ice in the caves in the Apostles on Memorial day when I paddled there!) remember to be dressed for cold water immersion.

Wouldn't want to lose a good poster......be Safe in the Water

In the middle of last summer, two kayakers died in lake superior from hypothermia. They were experienced, had lifejackets, but no dry suits.

Believe me, that lake is cold all year around.

I've gone off and read the material on the Retire Early Homepage...

Wow. Obviously a lot of effort has gone into calculating the SWR
subject to a range of variables (inflation, lifetime, expenses, stock
allocation, etc). This confirms what I feared. You need to run many
simulations of historical data to get an intuitive understanding of
how each of these variable affects the SWR.

Is there another way? More precisely, is there a closed-form analytic
solution for the SWR problem? Going back to the reservoir analogy, the
SWR can be looked at as solving a linear differential equation from
freshman calculus. The main difficulty that I see is that the real
return (or rainfall) is a stochastic function and we only know its
expectation value and its variance. This is a problem outside of my
experience.

(Let me apologize to those who think this is all just "mental
masturbation". I'm interested, and I'd like to understand it
better. Thats all there is to it.)

P.S. Petey. Your reply was very helpful but I'll have to digest it for
a bit. Apparently its not just only about trying to have an asset mix
that maximizes return and minimizes risk. You seem to saying that
withdrawals complicate the strategy.

Zorba, my take is you're way overthinking this. Calculating SWR is like calculating your future income/raises. Sure you can plug in some average and make some pretty excel worksheets, but all it will give you is a rough estimate. One promotion/layoff and your numbers are skewed. You make adjustments, and ride out the wave, and move on! Firecalc shows you what rate would have survived our bleakest hours, and you go from there! If you try to come up with a huge algorithm to garantee an exact withdrawal rate, you'll just go crazy, or blind, or both! :D

I'm trying not to assume that every new member who immediately skips over the usual introductions to rush into the "great SWR debate" is a reincarnation.... ;)

My wife is going to bed, and unless I want to go blind myself, good night all!

Probably a reasonable assumption. Not only because the behavior is unusual, but mostly because hardly anyone really gives a rats @#%$ about SWR, including the troll. I dont think anyone ever actually debated genuine SWR 'concerns' in any of those 'debates' anyhow.

A mining town on the edge of the desert has built a dam to hold the
  water it needs to survive. Each year the rains come. In some years
  the rainfall is enough to replenish the reservoir, but in other
  years evaporation depletes the water level. How much water can
  the town draw from the reservoir each year to be reasonably certain
  of not running it dry?

Analogies can be useful. They help us identify the essential elements
in any problem. Would the SWR experts here have a look at this toy
model and tell me what what is common and what is missing?

Zorba
The town needs to start with the average rainfall less evaporation, and then reduce that by enough to allow for as many non-rainy days as are within reason. What's "within reason"? Look at past droughts and see how long they lasted.

That's exactly what the whole SWR thing does, using historical data. So I'm not sure why you like this analogy yet say historical backtesting doesn't do it for you.

In practice, with both water and dollars, you might make adjustments if your initial calculations proved too conservative. In SWR terms, this is the "POPR" approach. In water terms, you get to water your lawn every day, AND wash your car every day.

Dory36

Investors are gradually seeing that a higher than 10% allocation to real estate and timber works better than bonds alone. Ibbotson has done studies that show that adding 20% for REITS with a lower allocation to stocks & bonds added to returns and reduced portfolio volatility, for instance.

Petey

Petey, Zorba;
Not sure if you guys have ever looked at getting a mean variance optimizer and running lots of studies to find 'efficient frontier' for blends of assets you find in the range you could stomach, but it may be worthwhile. I did this with my DFA advisor a few years back, and we kept running different tweaks until we got a perfect soup.

Only other thing about any of these historical studies is they get skewed by history so the outstanding asset classes show up being overly big in explaining the success of recent portfolios, leading everyone to pile into possibly inflated asset classes. You could try to solve this by using really long historical series, but then you run into the problem that there are simply no long historical series for many of the more interesting (less correlated) asset classes. Sort of a pickle.

But Zorba ( I know you are not the troll) you are tight to be asking pointed questions about asset allocation, both for return, for volatility and for standing up to an SWR.

My intuition is that, if expected return is the same, lower volatility portfolios stand up to the steady withdrawals better than high-volatility ones (anybody know different please let me know). Got to also have an expected return of at least SWR + inflation + fees. This thing can't work with an all-bond portfolio yielding 5%.

Also, if it were possible to have an extra 1% of headway, it makes steering easier (in a boat, and I think in a long run SWR). In other words, don't plan to just land at stationary-in-real-terms targets, since the future is long, living standards rise, inflation could notch up, who knows what kind of bad stuff can happen. If you have an extra hpercent or so on your side, it can cover a lot of errors in the assumptions going forward.

My portfolio historically (20 years) returns 9.5% with Standard Deviaition around 7%. 60% SP500, 40% Treasuries returned 8.5% with S.D. of 9.2%, not a lot worse, and a heckuvalot easier to manage. For me, slicing it up (16 asset classes, fees under .4%) is fun and frankly makes me feel safer to have eggs more spread around, but you could probably do as well from the SWR survival p.o.v., at least within the limits of peering into the fog of the future, with a pretty simple diversification strategy..

Here is a portfolio and that comes pretty close to matching the asset allocation I use, all available out of Vanguard , 8 funds plus a money market:

30.0% VWELX Vanguard Wellington
4.0% VMMXX Vanguard Prime MM
5.0% VGSIX Vanguard REIT Index
20.0% VBIIX VG Intmdt. Bond Index
11.0% BEGBX Am Cent Foreign Bond
8.5% VTMSX Vanguard TM Small
5.5% VGTSX Vanguard Total Intl Index
10.0% VINEX Vanguard International Explorer
6.0% VEIEX Vanguard Emerging Markets Idx

Lacks just four other asset classes I own:
High Yield, Commodities, (easy to get with funds), private equity and market neutral hedge fund (harder to get without fees or legwork)

Haven't run all the numbers, but I think it would come in, in terms of yield and volatility, somewhere around 9% average return, and 8% standard deviation, with enough diversification to let you sleep well, low enough volatiliity to safely support a 4-4.5% swr, fees around .35%. Rebalance once a year, spend your time out fishing or figuring out what you like to do with your life and then doing it.

There is no "perfect soup" although Mom's clam chowder
is pretty darn good.

JG

John,
You are right -- perfect soup for me, a 40-something early retiree with a hand in a few income-generating sidelines, but not perfect for everybody.

Still, would you mind sharing your mom's recipe for clam chowder? Always interested-- had a great one tonight with sherry in it that had a real kick!

Petey, Zorba;
Not sure if you guys have ever looked at getting a mean variance optimizer and running lots of studies to find 'efficient frontier' for blends of assets you find in the range you could stomach, but it may be worthwhile.  I did this with my DFA advisor a few years back, and we kept running different tweaks until we got a perfect soup.

Only other thing about any of these historical studies is they get skewed by history so the outstanding asset classes show up being overly big in explaining the success of recent portfolios, leading everyone to pile into possibly inflated asset classes.   You could try to solve this by using really long historical series, but then you run into the problem that there are simply no long historical series for many of the more interesting (less correlated) asset classes.  Sort of a pickle.

But Zorba ( I know you are not the troll) you are tight to be asking pointed questions about asset allocation, both for return, for volatility and for standing up to an SWR.

My intuition is that, if expected return is the same,  lower volatility portfolios stand up to the steady withdrawals better than high-volatility ones (anybody know different please let me know).  Got to also have an expected return  of at least SWR + inflation + fees.  This thing can't work with an all-bond portfolio yielding 5%.

Also, if it were possible to have an extra 1% of headway, it makes steering easier (in a boat, and I think in a long run SWR).  In other words, don't plan to just land at stationary-in-real-terms targets, since the future is long, living standards rise, inflation could notch up, who knows what kind of bad stuff can happen.  If you have an extra hpercent or so on your side, it can cover a lot of errors in the assumptions going forward.

My portfolio historically (20 years) returns 9.5% with Standard Deviaition around 7%.  60% SP500, 40% Treasuries returned  8.5% with S.D. of 9.2%, not a lot worse, and a heckuvalot easier to manage.  For me, slicing it up (16 asset classes, fees under .4%) is fun and frankly makes me feel safer to have eggs more spread around, but you could probably do as well from the SWR survival p.o.v., at least within the limits of peering into the fog of the future, with a pretty simple diversification strategy..  

Here is a portfolio and that comes pretty close to matching the asset allocation I use, all available out of Vanguard , 8 funds plus a money market:

30.0%      VWELX      Vanguard Wellington
4.0%      VMMXX      Vanguard Prime MM
5.0%      VGSIX      Vanguard REIT Index
20.0%      VBIIX      VG Intmdt. Bond Index
11.0%      BEGBX      Am Cent Foreign Bond
8.5%      VTMSX      Vanguard TM Small
5.5%      VGTSX      Vanguard Total Intl Index
10.0%      VINEX      Vanguard International Explorer
6.0%      VEIEX      Vanguard Emerging Markets Idx

Lacks just four other asset classes I own:
High Yield, Commodities, (easy to get with funds), private equity and market neutral hedge fund (harder to get without fees or legwork)

Haven't run all the numbers, but I think it would come in, in terms of yield and volatility, somewhere around 9% average return, and 8% standard deviation, with enough diversification to let you sleep well, low enough volatiliity to safely support a 4-4.5% swr, fees around .35%.  Rebalance once a year,  spend your time out fishing or figuring out what you like to do with your life and then doing it.

Bob,

I'd be interested to see your 16 asset class setup!

Agree with your comments.

All the best,
Petey

Petey,
Here it is, the slicer's dream. Sorry I can't figure out how to get columns to line up.

US Large Value Tilt 12.0%
US Small Value Tilt 8.5%
Int'l Small 10.0%
Emerging Mkt 6.5%
Int'l Large 5.0%
US Government Bonds 4.0%
ST Corp /Money Mkt 4.0%
Med Term Int'l Bonds 12.0%
Med Term US Bonds 10.0%
GNMA Bonds 5.0%
High Yield Bonds 3.5%
Oil and Gas 3.5%
Market Neutral Hedge Fund 2.0%
Commodities 4.0%
Commercial Real Estate 5.0%
Private Equity/ Venture Capital 5.0%
100.0%

This is the one that earns 9.5% before fees during the last 18 years, and has Standard Deviation of 7.16% and a beta of .28%, which does make sleeping at night pretty easy.

Getting Private Equity and Market Neutral are not so easy, but there are ways. I've just seen something in WSJ about a handful of public venture capital and private equity funds which might help. All the big institutions love the asset class.

Market Neutral has high fees, especially if you get one of the Funds of Funds (e.g. Rydex), but is small enough that you could probably ignore it unless you want to play in an actual hedge fund. I found one that seems good, but it was through friends who lowered the minimum etc. etc.

You could also call this asset allocation the Chicken Portfolio -- nothing is big enough that I ever have to worry . But it is not without risk -- small, international, developing, high yield etc -- the return comes because you take on risk. But you manage it and thus keep volatility at an acceptable level.

ESRBob,

Thats quite a slice & dice. How close to that can you get with Vanguard funds or any one family of funds? I expect my wife will move her 403b funds to Vanguard next year and I was just thinking of the 2025 Target fund as a single destination but slice & dice can work if it does not bring too many fund fees.

Yakers, I think you can come pretty close with Vanguard: use the 8-fund plus MM from the earlier post, and maybe add GNMA, High Yield Bonds along with a PIMCO Real Assets - Commodities fund (I think Vanguard gets people into PCRIX now which is the institutional one, and it has much better fees than QRAAX.) for 4% each, pulling a few percent away from each of the biggest fund allocations.

At that point, you are awfully close. I actually tried to allocate out the 8-fund into all these asset classes in a spreadsheet if you are interested send me an email at my regular address and I'll send you the attachment. (Private Message function won't let us send attachments))

Back
Top Bottom