Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Size 11 jeans I wore in the 80's would now be Size 4 or 6. Not sure if that's number shrinkage, or clothing expandage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And your wife suddenly has to buy a dress size 10, whereas she used to wear size 8. See what I mean?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The Size 11 jeans I wore in the 80's would now be Size 4 or 6. Not sure if that's number shrinkage, or clothing expandage.
Yeah, I'm now wearing size 8 jeans. That's crazy- I'm in good shape but have never worn size 8 jeans in my life. It was always 10 or 12.

This brings up another thought, though- the last few pairs of dress pants I bought start at the hipline, not the waistline. (This was a few years ago.) VERY annoying- I can't wear a blouse or shirt that has to be tucked in. It saves a fraction of a yard of material, though. DH has also pointed out that he can't find good, heavy T-shirts anymore- the fabric is flimsier. I notice shortcuts like fewer stitches per inch and smaller seam allowances (the margin between the seam and the raw edge). Anything to keep that price at $3.99.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I agree that the hipline-jeans thing is annoying. I still have my defined-waistline pants, but risk being taunted about "mom jeans" when I wear them.

Good clothes definitely cost a whole lot more than the cheap ones...but I think they are still cheaper, accounting for inflation, than "back in the day." It would cost me more $$ to make my clothes, than to buy good ones. I still make a simple sundress now and then, using a $10.00/yard cotton print and a $17.00 pattern. It's worth it to get the length and fit just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

This brings up another thought, though- the last few pairs of dress pants I bought start at the hipline, not the waistline. (This was a few years ago.) VERY annoying- I can't wear a blouse or shirt that has to be tucked in. It saves a fraction of a yard of material, though. DH has also pointed out that he can't find good, heavy T-shirts anymore- the fabric is flimsier. I notice shortcuts like fewer stitches per inch and smaller seam allowances (the margin between the seam and the raw edge). Anything to keep that price at $3.99.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's the reverse effect of what I was suggesting. People would not think they got "bigger", but they did.

Quote:
I agree that the hipline-jeans thing is annoying. I still have my defined-waistline pants, but risk being taunted about "mom jeans" when I wear them.
But aren't we qualified to be in the grandma or grandpa age range?

My wife would not wear clothes for the younger generation. Nor would I.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I figure the older I get, the more age-ranges I am qualified to represent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

My wife would not wear clothes for the younger generation. Nor would I.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
DH has also pointed out that he can't find good, heavy T-shirts anymore- the fabric is flimsier.
Costco t-shirts seem to be heavier than most others, IMHO. At least the black and grey ones I bought are. But, they don't have them in stock very often.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Costco t-shirts seem to be heavier than most others, IMHO. At least the black and grey ones I bought are. But, they don't have them in stock very often.
Or Duluth Trading Company, heavy T's with 3" extra tail for those around you. Not cheap but they last.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Or Duluth Trading Company, heavy T's with 3" extra tail for those around you. Not cheap but they last.
A little extra tail never hurts.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

marie callender pie

My sister recently showed me her collection of Marie Callender pie tins. She has been saving them for 20+ years. You would be shocked at the current size tin versus what they sold many years ago. Kind of funny if it wasn't so pitiful.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, those package sizes Now I don't have feel self conscious when my wife complains about the shrinking package size anymore.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #71

From a post by Amethyst:
"Good clothes definitely cost a whole lot more than the cheap ones...but I think they are still cheaper, accounting for inflation, than "back in the day." It would cost me more $$ to make my clothes, than to buy good ones. I still make a simple sundress now and then, using a $10.00/yard cotton print and a $17.00 pattern. It's worth it to get the length and fit just right".[/QUOTE]

This brought back memories. I remember when chicken feed came in printed cloth sacks. Like maybe 50# bags. Mom saved these and would then make her house dresses out of this material. On her Singer treadle sewing machine. We're talking the early forties-the war years. The good old days.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I sure hope a can of beer is never reduced to 10 1/2 ounces or something similar! 😁

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum
I've seen the occasional 11.5 ounce beers from Europe in my beer store. Sometimes I buy them id the price is right. The store advertises them as 12 ounce anyway! Also you can now buy 7 ounce bottles of beer, called *pony bottles*. Way overpiced of course, but people have them at parties for some reason. People with money to burn I guess.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Also you can now buy 7 ounce bottles of beer, called *pony bottles*. Way overpiced of course, but people have them at parties for some reason. People with money to burn I guess.
We used to buy Miller's in small bottles, and also Little Kings. More expensive, but better in hot weather. Easy to slam drink before it gets warm...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Did anyone else read the title "The Shrinking Package" and think of something else?
why yes, I did think of George Costanza.

but other than that , small packages are better imo. I would rather pay more per ounce than have to get through the giant economy size of most things other than laundry detergent.