Ugh, here we go again.

anothercog

Recycles dryer sheets
Just need to vent a bit. Over my 20 years at MegaCorp there has been around 4-5 times I felt my job was in jeopardy. The last time was a few years ago when we went through a big merger. I survived but it was a lot of extra work for a while but given Covid shutdowns I had nothing better to do anyway.

Now, another merger has been announced to close sometime this summer. Once again I have to worry about my job. Given we are the acquiring entity, I think my odds are good I'll survive but it just gets exhausting worrying about what will come next. Timing is terrible too as I already have a lot of planned time off this summer.

I'm at least 4 years from hitting my FIRE goals. If I lose my job I'd likely be pounding the pavement in my 50's. Not ideal and also not sure if I want to start over at a new company. I could probably survive without another job but it would require some belt tightening.

On the plus side, if I do survive this next round I should be good until I retire and then I'll be wishing for the next deal so I can get an exit package. Fingers crossed.

The best is have an acquisition, get rid of key people from the acquired company, have a company wide RIF (constant) and then the company reports a blow out quarter.

I survived 7-8 RIF before I walked away. It is outside of your scope of control, so I wouldn't worry about it much past a venting.

Back
Top Bottom