The shrinking package

I did not know that we were supposed to finish these big bags in one sitting. I guess that explains our low BMI.

Bars of soap.

They used to be nice ingots. Regular old bricks.

Now, they have divots and curves to them. All to take away mass.

I called up Dial when they started this and the kind lady said that it was to help me hold the bar better. I got cranky and she kind of admitted that they were just following the competition. This happened right after Dial sold out to a big multinational conglomerate.

I did not know that we were supposed to finish these big bags in one sitting. I guess that explains our low BMI.
Our chips usually go stale before we are done with those big bags...It takes us weeks to finish them.

Well, then if you are frugal as we are, you will remember to hit it again the next days until it's gone. :)

Actually, when my son was still living with us, he cleaned it off for us, and very few food items go stale in this house.

Also, "60 Minutes," because we're all starting to sound like Andy Rooney (he used to grumble about product shrinkage on the show - he may have invented the term "shrink ray.")

Indeed, a certain Seinfeld episode did come to mind... :hide:

The Size 11 jeans I wore in the 80's would now be Size 4 or 6. Not sure if that's number shrinkage, or clothing expandage.

And your wife suddenly has to buy a dress size 10, whereas she used to wear size 8. See what I mean?

The Size 11 jeans I wore in the 80's would now be Size 4 or 6. Not sure if that's number shrinkage, or clothing expandage.

Yeah, I'm now wearing size 8 jeans. That's crazy- I'm in good shape but have never worn size 8 jeans in my life. It was always 10 or 12.

This brings up another thought, though- the last few pairs of dress pants I bought start at the hipline, not the waistline. (This was a few years ago.) VERY annoying- I can't wear a blouse or shirt that has to be tucked in. It saves a fraction of a yard of material, though. DH has also pointed out that he can't find good, heavy T-shirts anymore- the fabric is flimsier. I notice shortcuts like fewer stitches per inch and smaller seam allowances (the margin between the seam and the raw edge). Anything to keep that price at $3.99.

I agree that the hipline-jeans thing is annoying. I still have my defined-waistline pants, but risk being taunted about "mom jeans" when I wear them.

Good clothes definitely cost a whole lot more than the cheap ones...but I think they are still cheaper, accounting for inflation, than "back in the day." It would cost me more $$ to make my clothes, than to buy good ones. I still make a simple sundress now and then, using a $10.00/yard cotton print and a $17.00 pattern. It's worth it to get the length and fit just right.

This brings up another thought, though- the last few pairs of dress pants I bought start at the hipline, not the waistline. (This was a few years ago.) VERY annoying- I can't wear a blouse or shirt that has to be tucked in. It saves a fraction of a yard of material, though. DH has also pointed out that he can't find good, heavy T-shirts anymore- the fabric is flimsier. I notice shortcuts like fewer stitches per inch and smaller seam allowances (the margin between the seam and the raw edge). Anything to keep that price at $3.99.

That's the reverse effect of what I was suggesting. People would not think they got "bigger", but they did. :facepalm:

I agree that the hipline-jeans thing is annoying. I still have my defined-waistline pants, but risk being taunted about "mom jeans" when I wear them.
But aren't we qualified to be in the grandma or grandpa age range? ;)

My wife would not wear clothes for the younger generation. Nor would I.

I figure the older I get, the more age-ranges I am qualified to represent!

My wife would not wear clothes for the younger generation. Nor would I.

DH has also pointed out that he can't find good, heavy T-shirts anymore- the fabric is flimsier.

Costco t-shirts seem to be heavier than most others, IMHO. At least the black and grey ones I bought are. But, they don't have them in stock very often.

Costco t-shirts seem to be heavier than most others, IMHO. At least the black and grey ones I bought are. But, they don't have them in stock very often.

Or Duluth Trading Company, heavy T's with 3" extra tail for those around you. Not cheap but they last.

Or Duluth Trading Company, heavy T's with 3" extra tail for those around you. Not cheap but they last.
A little extra tail never hurts.

marie callender pie

My sister recently showed me her collection of Marie Callender pie tins. She has been saving them for 20+ years. You would be shocked at the current size tin versus what they sold many years ago. Kind of funny if it wasn't so pitiful.

Oh, those package sizes :blush: Now I don't have feel self conscious when my wife complains about the shrinking package size anymore.

From a post by Amethyst:
"Good clothes definitely cost a whole lot more than the cheap ones...but I think they are still cheaper, accounting for inflation, than "back in the day." It would cost me more $$ to make my clothes, than to buy good ones. I still make a simple sundress now and then, using a $10.00/yard cotton print and a $17.00 pattern. It's worth it to get the length and fit just right".[/QUOTE]

This brought back memories. I remember when chicken feed came in printed cloth sacks. Like maybe 50# bags. Mom saved these and would then make her house dresses out of this material. On her Singer treadle sewing machine. We're talking the early forties-the war years. The good old days.

Last edited:
I sure hope a can of beer is never reduced to 10 1/2 ounces or something similar! 😁

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

I've seen the occasional 11.5 ounce beers from Europe in my beer store. Sometimes I buy them id the price is right. The store advertises them as 12 ounce anyway! Also you can now buy 7 ounce bottles of beer, called *pony bottles*. Way overpiced of course, but people have them at parties for some reason. People with money to burn I guess.

Also you can now buy 7 ounce bottles of beer, called *pony bottles*. Way overpiced of course, but people have them at parties for some reason. People with money to burn I guess.

We used to buy Miller's in small bottles, and also Little Kings. More expensive, but better in hot weather. Easy to [-]slam[/-] drink before it gets warm...

Did anyone else read the title "The Shrinking Package" and think of something else?

:LOL::LOL: why yes, I did think of George Costanza.

but other than that :LOL:, small packages are better imo. I would rather pay more per ounce than have to get through the giant economy size of most things other than laundry detergent.

Back
Top Bottom