Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The Story of Frujinator
Old 04-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ok sorry still lost and having a blonde moment.

Why would he have to hold it between his knees?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

He means that it would have been illegal for Ballmer to sneak one out and not have it show up on the books. The law, in theory, is supposed to prevent things like Enron.

SOX is a real big deal and creates lots of headaches even for those of us not in the finance world. As a software engineer, I deal with it almost daily.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the info.

Interesting, how do you deal with it as a software engineer specifically if you are not an accountant
Old 04-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hee...This reminds me of why my husband was more interested in me than in the pretty younger things he was also dating at the time. I knew what Jack Nicholson's waitress was supposed to hold between her knees--and why.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nicholson: I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes, tomatoes instead, a cup of coffee, and wheat toast.
Waitress: (She points to the menu) No substitutions.
Nicholson: What do you mean? You don't have any tomatoes?
Waitress: Only what's on the menu. You can have a number two - a plain omelette. It comes with cottage fries and rolls.
Nicholson: Yeah, I know what it comes with. But it's not what I want.
Waitress: Well, I'll come back when you make up your mind.
Nicholson: Wait a minute. I have made up my mind. I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes on the plate, a cup of coffee, and a side order of wheat toast.
Waitress: I'm sorry, we don't have any side orders of toast...an English muffin or a coffee roll.
Nicholson: What do you mean you don't make side orders of toast? You make sandwiches, don't you?
Waitress: Would you like to talk to the manager?
Nicholson: ...You've got bread and a toaster of some kind?
Waitress: I don't make the rules.
Nicholson: OK, I'll make it as easy for you as I can. I'd like an omelette, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
Waitress: A number two, chicken sal san, hold the butter, the lettuce and the mayonnaise. And a cup of coffee. Anything else?
Nicholson: Yeah. Now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.
Waitress (spitefully): You want me to hold the chicken, huh?
Nicholson: I want you to hold it between your knees.
Waitress (turning and telling him to look at the sign that says, "No Substitutions") Do you see that sign, sir? Yes, you'll all have to leave. I'm not taking any more of your smartness and sarcasm.
Nicholson: You see this sign? (He sweeps all the water glasses and menus off the table.)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Hee...This reminds me of why my husband was more interested in me than in the pretty younger things he was also dating at the time. I knew what Jack Nicholson's waitress was supposed to hold between her knees--and why.
ding ding ding!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frujinator
Interesting, how do you deal with it as a software engineer specifically if you are not an accountant
There are a LOT of rules that we have to adhere to, actually. The most notable being that one person cannot have complete access to update code in production if they wrote the code. For instance, one of the sites I worked on had a shopping cart component. I could not make changes to the cart then put them into production without help. The reason is I could have compromised the code and just pushed out something that deposited all the charges into my bank account, for instance.

That's a really simplified answer, but that's the gist of it. In theory, it's supposed to only apply to code that impacts financials, but most companies apply SOX across the board. The reason being that if the software isn't affecting your bottom line, why are you paying to have it developed :
Old 04-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by frujinator
What is Sarbanes Oxley?
You are almost done with college and getting a degree in accounting and SOX has never come up in any of your accounting classes
Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

No I mean I have like two more years to go. I guess halfway done. I just finishing GED requirements, I took a few accounting classes, but not in the program yet.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
CFB, remember when ** would ask questions on the forum and get someone too look things up for him becasue he was too lazy/thought it was fun to get others to do the work for him? :

That young man had CFB running all over the back-court, and when he got good and winded, he started hitting lob shots at the net.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Wifes watching "the sopranos" and whoever is doing the writing this season...sucks.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Wifes watching "the sopranos" and whoever is doing the writing this season...sucks.
Amen to that! Just hurry up and start a mob war, finish off everybody, it's the last season! All this deep/weird stuff is getting out of hand.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

LOL
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I think Gandolfini might have said "Ok, I'll do the season for that paltry $9 million, but I get to do 3/4 of it lying in a bed with my eyes closed. And everyone else has to squabble like a bunch of 9 year old girls." :P
Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Deja vu: http://www.examnotes.net/archive18-2003-8-1019341.html
Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Well, back to the topic and CPA...

You can get a CPA and not be a CFO... it gives you a lot of options that you will not get with some of the other business degrees... yes, you will more than likely be doing something financial, but it does not have to be accounting...

And as for the hours... way back when, I was putting in 80 to 100 hour weeks during tax season.. when I could only find time at 3 AM to wash my clothes, I decided to chuck it all... now just do financial analysis for a decent wage, but do not work the long hours anymore... and I do not care to get into a job that requires 10 to 12 (or more) hours a day plus weekends... since you have already made $100,000 in a year, you will learn that money is not everything no matter how much you think so now.. as the other CPA said (can not remember his name) you can make a lot of money if you want, but you have to do the time.. stay at a Big 4 firm and you will get to the $500,000 per year range if that is what you want... but not me.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

The that the company I work for has indeed cycled thru CFOs every couple years, and they are indeed always here when I arrive and here when I leave.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBT
The that the company I work for has indeed cycled thru CFOs every couple years, and they are indeed always here when I arrive and here when I leave.
At the mini-megacorp where I toiled for 27 years prepared myself for not-so-early retirement, I counted 13 CFOs during my imprisonment employment. The standing joke was that box on the org. chart was going to be changed from "Chief Financial Officer" to "The Widowmaker Postion".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

You guys are pushing me real hard into a career change ...
Old 04-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Well, back to the topic and CPA...

You can get a CPA and not be a CFO... it gives you a lot of options that you will not get with some of the other business degrees... yes, you will more than likely be doing something financial, but it does not have to be accounting...

And as for the hours... way back when, I was putting in 80 to 100 hour weeks during tax season.. when I could only find time at 3 AM to wash my clothes, I decided to chuck it all... now just do financial analysis for a decent wage, but do not work the long hours anymore... and I do not care to get into a job that requires 10 to 12 (or more) hours a day plus weekends... since you have already made $100,000 in a year, you will learn that money is not everything no matter how much you think so now.. as the other CPA said (can not remember his name) you can make a lot of money if you want, but you have to do the time.. stay at a Big 4 firm and you will get to the $500,000 per year range if that is what you want... but not me.

Thanks for all the responses guys, but to quote the above poster, thats one of many reasons that becoming a CPA is lucrative. It will give me many options. I can go work for the state, start my own firm maybe, etc, etc.

And regards to becoming a CFO, I wouldn't mind being thrown around every few years if my income will be $300k per year. Bare in mind I am a VERY good saver