Join Early Retirement Today

There are still some good managers out there!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are still some good managers out there!

I just had my very final 'annual review' of my working career. These little meetings are usually a non-event but I'm floored at what just happened.

I've volunteered to be laid off on January 11 (my company is letting 30k people go). Since I'm being released I had no expectations of a bonus.

I just learned that my manager (he's a Sr. VP) awarded me a $10,000 bonus for a special project that I was on this year and another 5% of my salary as an 'annual bonus'. 5% might not seem like much but to get anything in our tech company is the exception and for him to give it to me when he knows he's laying me off which will give me severance is a pleasant surprise!

So I guess there are still some good guys out there!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I just learned that my manager (he's a Sr. VP) awarded me a $10,000 bonus for a special project that I was on this year and another 5% of my salary as an 'annual bonus'. 5% might not seem like much but to get anything in our tech company is the exception and for him to give it to me when he knows he's laying me off which will give me severance is a pleasant surprise!
Nice! Is this a privately held company? I have a hard time believing any business accountable to Wall Street would allow this.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just had my very final 'annual review' of my working career. These little meetings are usually a non-event but I'm floored at what just happened.

I've volunteered to be laid off on January 11 (my company is letting 30k people go). Since I'm being released I had no expectations of a bonus.

So I guess there are still some good guys out there!!
Nice! Especially nice as a sendoff!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Nice! Is this a privately held company? I have a hard time believing any business accountable to Wall Street would allow this.
No, it's a Fortune 50 tech company but it gives its senior leaders complete discretion on how they use their bonus budget.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nice! Especially nice as a sendoff!
Agree! Especially since I'm getting severance in January when I'm released.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow! So this was icing on the cake!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Great news! Congrats on your ER. You are worth every penny!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

Congrats!
Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Lisa!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nice on your part too! Let's face it, the typical employee has one thought in mind during their final months with an employer regardless of how well they've been treated over their career. That is how can they maximize their own situation and screw the employer. You, OTOH, did an outstanding job on your project. No wonder your manager rewarded you! You're one in a zillion! I'm glad it's working out as a win-win situation!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Maybe your Sr VP is also leaving the company.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a hard time believing any business accountable to Wall Street would allow this.

Where I worked we were allowed to bank unused vacation, up to 10 days each year. You could borrow some back if you needed to. When you retired, you had the option of taking pay for those days, or you could tack them on to your last day in the office to extend out the last day with the company.

I had a significant amount of days banked when I retired. My last day in the office had come and gone, but the 'vacationing out' days carried me past the day when raises were handed out. Of all the stupid things, they gave me a 3% raise (or something like that). The difference in pay for a few months was trivial, and it did not affect my pension calculation in a significant manner. But it did come out of the raise budget, and thus somebody else could have had a bit more.

Oh well!
Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

He is a good manager. It must have been that you have done some good work and he feels that you deserve it and that the firm owes you. I'll admit that in a similar situation that I would tilt the benefits to those who would be with me going forward while at the same time trying not to noticeably shortchange those who were leaving.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #14

Well it looks like Santa came early for you, congrats and this shows hard work does pay off!
Old 12-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
If publicly traded companies didn't offer competitive compensation packages they would go out of business.

Congrats to OP!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
I have a hard time believing any business accountable to Wall Street would allow this.
Ours was a public company "accountable to Wall St" and things like this were a very common practice.

You need to attract and retain good people in order to remain in "Wall Street's" good graces. Our company was quite forward looking and provided some unheard of benefits and perks.

And yes, we were the world/industry leader in what we did, thanks at least in part to our aforementioned ability to attract the best in class people.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #17

Congrats!
So what are you going to do with the windfall?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #18

This was fairly common at my employer. I regularly gave good bonuses (if deserved) to people who were retiring. My employer would always give the employee the benefit of any discretion in these types of circumstances. Contrary to what many people think, there are many great organizations and management out there. Not all, but quite a few.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #19

Congratulations! This is a very nice way to wrap up a career and get ready to enjoy retirement.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
If publicly traded companies didn't offer competitive compensation packages they would go out of business.

Congrats to OP!
+1. I think this is more about the management mindset than the business classification. I've seem generous and cheap in public and private.

Good for you Lisa and don't forget to spend some of the bonus on something fun...!