Join Early Retirement Today

Or Semi
Old 11-28-2019, 12:13 AM   #301
Dryer sheet wannabe

Or Semi

Cyberbus!,lol!, love that Major.

Byton, Lordstown, truck looks very appealing!
The Rivian too, both and others will beat the "ugly one" to market.
Elon said it wasnt for everyone. And doesn't care.,lol!
They say beauty is only skin deep. Sledgehammer ,9mm. steel cannon ball, Ha;, True here, It's the Specs that reveal a leap in cost and efficiency improvements,all that power,drivetrain, adaptive suspension, Apilot, on board air compressor 240v.250mi range for $39,900. Up,..? In 2021 dollar's? Deal.
TSLA -3% misses the fact that the Shanghai factory will be selling Mdl III as fast as iPhones, hee,hee, .
I think you'd rather have Semi truck, me too.
Meanwhile, Ford E before Tesla Y?

Update:
146,000 Preorders already? Let me guess,
could be the Pentagon procured the APC, aka, Cybrtrk. Think it through, she fits in our Nuclear powered aircraft carriers, Fully charged!, Better and cheaper than a Humvee, as ugly,..lol, no gas or oil aboard, can't rust,.hits the battlefield silently, no heat signature or exhaust, powers a railgun, Has K9 mode !, 5G connected to SpaceX Starlink global array, she will kick ass in Afghanistan,Iran,Iraq, Syria,. perhaps Mexico and Los Angeles.
Potus like at ten x the price, priceless!

Faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #302
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it is more like a quarter million pre-orders now.

Even if some ppl are not serious, in this day and age it is impressive that a quarter million people actually have a spare $100.

Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #303
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I think it is more like a quarter million pre-orders now.

Even if some ppl are not serious, in this day and age it is impressive that a quarter million people actually have a spare $100.
A $25,000,000 interest free loan is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
True, never thought about it like that. Since the trucks will not even launch until 2021 at the earliest, Tesla is making $3,000,000 in saved interest (if you figure the best loan they could get is 6% rate) in addition to the great advertising the pre-orders do.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Even better than a loan, it's a non-refundable deposit and probably half of the depositors won't follow through with a purchase. I'm sure Tesla would rather get the purchase but free money in any case.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #306
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Even better than a loan, it's a non-refundable deposit and probably half of the depositors won't follow through with a purchase. I'm sure Tesla would rather get the purchase but free money in any case.
These are actually refundable deposits.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
Assuming Tesla continues to stay out of bankruptcy.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Assuming Tesla continues to stay out of bankruptcy.
Eh, they are a long way from bankruptcy. SpaceX would probably bail them out just like Tesla bailed out SolarCity
Old 11-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Eh, they are a long way from bankruptcy. SpaceX would probably bail them out just like Tesla bailed out SolarCity
The rating agencies would beg to differ.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post

Yea you're right, I had assumed they followed the same non refundable order deposit policy as their other models.
Tesla
Old 11-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #311
Recycles dryer sheets

Tesla

I have the same F-150 as the OP. 2018 and love it.

I will buy the F-150 E version when it is available. Done with fossil fuels.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Yea you're right, I had assumed they followed the same non refundable order deposit policy as their other models.
The Model 3 deposit was and is refundable...

https://www.tesla.com/support/model-...vation-deposit
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 512AAF36-939A-40D2-A808-F9F332B9EAB9.jpeg (161.3 KB, 21 views)

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The Model 3 deposit was and is refundable...

https://www.tesla.com/support/model-...vation-deposit

I believe that's the old policy, if you go through and try to place an order on their web site it's a $100 non-refundable order fee.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...policy-change/

Quote:
Specifically, the company is revising its policies surrounding the return and exchange of its vehicles, as well as the way it handles customer deposits. With deposits, the company is nixing its policy of taking $1,000 refundable customer deposits. Instead, according to a report published Thursday by CNBC, it's dropping the cost of a deposit to just $100 and making that amount non-refundable.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:25 PM   #314
Dryer sheet wannabe

[QUOTE=zinger1457;2331776]I believe that's the old policy, if you go through and try to place an order on their web site it's a $100 non-refundable order fee.

You are both correct,..For the Mdl III pre production,. It WAS $1000 . , refundable. However Today, in production, order a Mdl III and you get it in weeks, so now its $100 non refundable.

However, For the Mdl Y the deposit is $2500. Refundable.

For the Roadster 2.0 I think it's $5K down on C.C., $45K wired within 10 days, and you're in.
Ditto For the Tesla Semi Truck.
But, smart individuals here know you must review your MVPA , motor vehicle purchase agreement carefully.

Its all about the Grin factor !!, And worth every penny!
Faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #315

I should open a Robinhood special account with $100 and see if I can turn it into enough to buy a baseline Cybertruck by 2022.

Lets see...I would need....only a 40,000% return in 2 years. So about 6% per week compounded for 104 weeks.

Seems doable.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #316
Give me a forum ...

Just noticed this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
Since you have brought it up numerous times, after I had moved on...To the poster who stated "you can't get a 35k Tesla" you were proven incorrect about that. ...
Yes, and did you notice I owned up to my mistake, once it was pointed out? It's not hard, really.

It was a more-than-honest mistake. I actually took the effort to go to Tesla's web site, to see if there was a $35,000 M3 for sale. I didn't want to rely on my memory, and be called out for that if I were wrong or things had been updated and I hadn't heard. There was no $35,000 on their site at the time. Seemed like a reasonable conclusion that they weren't selling them at that time. But it turns out you can get them if you call or go into a store. OK, you "got me"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
.... In post #109, you stated "going down a large grade in an EV with a near full battery is problematic." Nope. Not true. If you meant to say something else, fine. As written, false. ...
If after all the discussion on this, you still don't understand the difference between going down a long grade with a fully charged EV versus an ICE, then you never will. I re-read post #109, and I stand behind what I wrote, it is exactly what I meant. Check the full context ( a long, steep grade that would overheat unaided friction brakes to the point of failure). I will leave it at that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:11 AM   #317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Just noticed this...

Yes, and did you notice I owned up to my mistake, once it was pointed out? It's not hard, really.
After stating ‘I still don't see the promised $35,000 Model 3, and the tax credit is running out soon, raising the effective price by $7,500 over when that promise was made’ at least twice.

First you tried to say you knew all along, false. Then you whined, rationalized and qualified your mistake instead of just admitting you were wrong - that came much later. And you’re claiming it was off menu/not available on their website when you were shown it was available online at $35K briefly last Spring. You missed the $35K window, that’s your problem not Tesla’s.

Not hard?

Not that anyone needs to bother re-reading.
Quote:
RE: $35,000 M3 -

Yes, I was aware it was available for a short time, which is consistent with my "good luck in finding the truck at $39,900".

Though doing some searching, it appears you can buy a $35,000 M3 if you call them or go into a store, they just don't have it on their web site. I think there were some other 'downgrades' they did t make it less attractive, but $35,000 is $35,000. Tesla seems to be burying it, as I assume the profit margin (if any) isn't helping them. That's OK, but it's just not going to happen at the volumes all the EV sites were excited about when it was announced.

So yes, with the time frames on that truck, I suspect it will be a very long time, if ever, that you can buy one at $39,900. Or that it would be configured such that you would want to buy on at that price.

-ERD50
Quote:
Well, at the time I wrote it I did not see it on the web site. And I still don't see it on the web site.

I think you are getting a little too specific with the wording. I think the common usage would include the following scenario:

A) A product is available for sale.

B) Later, the product is on back order.

C) Sometime later, I look again, and it is still on back order.

I think in common usage, a person wouldn't be questioned if they said the product is still not available. The fact that it was available in the past isn't applicable to that context.

Regardless, I was unaware that the $35,000 M3 is available through phone/store, so I was wrong about the availability anyhow. But how was I supposed to know it was an 'off-menu' item? Not being on their web site sure gives the impression it is not for sale. So either way, it is available. But the point remains, it took about 3 years from showing prototypes to delivering any $35,000 M3s at all. So yes, I still think "good luck in finding the truck at $39,900" applies. It will take a while, if ever.

-ERD50
And now, more rationalizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
It was a more-than-honest mistake. I actually took the effort to go to Tesla's web site, to see if there was a $35,000 M3 for sale. I didn't want to rely on my memory, and be called out for that if I were wrong or things had been updated and I hadn't heard. There was no $35,000 on their site at the time. Seemed like a reasonable conclusion that they weren't selling them at that time. But it turns out you can get them if you call or go into a store. OK, you "got me"!

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote