This is not so much about travel

^ ^ ^
I keep getting private messages from forum members asking me to send them money if I find their posts entertaining. So far this year I'm out about $3,200. Luckily for me those dividends keep rolling in.

That's my thought. I always buy the cheapest cabins I can because other than to go to sleep I am never in them.

DW and I take a cruise every year, and I am adamant about getting an inside cabin. We just don't spend much time in the cabin, DW, though, wants that ambient light and open door to the outside. Me adamant vs DW's wishes. Care to wager who wins?

I cannot imagine staying in an inside cabin. Yes, I get the fact that you aren't there much, but if I'd probably pay $500 to NOT go on a cruise and stay home versus staying in an inside cabin (no, not offering to pay other people :).

On the other hand, I've only been on one cruise in my life (Royal Caribbean as I recall, so I think kind of low end). Last one I'll ever go on in my life. Couldn't deal with the crowds - if you weren't up at 6AM, no way in heck you were going to get a deck chair near the pool, and the idea of wearing a suit on vacation - heck no!

Not my cup of tea.

I obviously don't know what your exposure was, but if it was drifting around the Caribbean going from one T-shirt shops & cab drivers island to another, each indistinguishable from the previous/next one, then I'd have to concur.

Likewise the 'Adult Sleepover' types where people play dress up, overeat/drink - but if you're going to/from someplace you wanted to visit it sure beats flying.
We flew to Vancouver, then did a 7-day one-way to Alaska. We agreed to just fly all the way next time (assuming we ever return). Plenty of t-shirt/gift shop stops. And don't forget the inimitable ever-present zip-lines. But we were there for the wildlife and got plenty of that.

I am NOT bragging, but in the course of my life, I have been on 45 cruises, from an 8 passenger river barge to the mid size cruise ships.
Actually, after our first cruise experience in a "high density" ship with crappy food, I am surprised we ever cruised again.
The discussions of inside vs. balcony IMO is like Ford vs. Chevrolet, or in my case, high wing vs. low wing light aircraft. It is really YMMV.
Our longest cruise was 32 days, from Buenos Aires to LA. If we had to be in an inside cabin for that cruise, we would be both taken off in straight jackets. BUT, that is just us. We opted for a mini suite to "Blow that Dough":)

I really believe there are cruises for everyone. The largest ship we have ever been on is one of Celebrity’s smaller ships, about 1600 passengers I believe. We opted for Aqua Class on that cruise and only ate once in the main dining room. It was OK, but we much prefer smaller cruises such as Windstar and the Paul Gauguin. No big crowds, quick disembarkation in ports, no formal nights, no dressing up required. Even better are private charters - 6 friends on a sailboat with a captain & chef - breakfast & lunch in swimsuits and dinner in shorts. Barefoot all the time except when going ashore. That’s more our style. YMMV. My point is that in the cruising industry, there is something for everyone.

I am NOT bragging, but in the course of my life, I have been on 45 cruises, from an 8 passenger river barge to the mid size cruise ships.
Actually, after our first cruise experience in a "high density" ship with crappy food, I am surprised we ever cruised again.
The discussions of inside vs. balcony IMO is like Ford vs. Chevrolet, or in my case, high wing vs. low wing light aircraft. It is really YMMV.
Our longest cruise was 32 days, from Buenos Aires to LA. If we had to be in an inside cabin for that cruise, we would be both taken off in straight jackets. BUT, that is just us. We opted for a mini suite to "Blow that Dough":)

+1, especially YMMV. DW and I take 2 main vacations per year (she still w*rks). Our annual cruise is the secondary vacation. Because DW is a teacher, that cruise takes place Christmas week. Living in New Jersey, we're just looking for someplace warm. Over the years, we've learned survival tactics for the cruise and know how to enjoy ourselves, and avoid the downsides of cruising.
The most important trick, IMO, is stoicism about expectations. For example, we find cruise food good, not great. But even at home, we are not into gourmet eating, even when dining out, so we are quite happy with the food....and make sure to order dishes that we know can't be ruined.

I really believe there are cruises for everyone. The largest ship we have ever been on is one of Celebrity’s smaller ships, about 1600 passengers I believe. We opted for Aqua Class on that cruise and only ate once in the main dining room. It was OK, but we much prefer smaller cruises such as Windstar and the Paul Gauguin. No big crowds, quick disembarkation in ports, no formal nights, no dressing up required. Even better are private charters - 6 friends on a sailboat with a captain & chef - breakfast & lunch in swimsuits and dinner in shorts. Barefoot all the time except when going ashore. That’s more our style. YMMV. My point is that in the cruising industry, there is something for everyone.

Yeah, I guess I don't consider 6 friends on a sailboat "cruising," but I agree with you 100% that there is something for everyone on a boat. My problem is that what I'm looking for is a 60 foot yacht with a large stateroom, sailing through the Virgin Islands, one other couple and a full staff (chef, captain, and someone to make me cocktails) :) A little on the spendy side.

A standard cruise ship - definitely not for me. If I won an all expense paid 7 day cruise on a boat with more than about 1,000 people, I'd donate it to charity.

The Duchess agreed to send Eagle a check from her share of the refund.
We'll take checks, money orders, gift cards, credit cards or even cruise tickets, inside or balcony. [emoji3]

My problem is that what I'm looking for is a 60 foot yacht with a large stateroom, sailing through the Virgin Islands, one other couple and a full staff (chef, captain, and someone to make me cocktails) :) A little on the spendy side..

+1, except I’d trade the one other couple for the Swedish bikini team...

While we are still on the subject, our cell phones won't work in Mexico unless we pay AT&T an extra $10.00 a day for each phone (at least I think that might be the fee). Any thoughts about paying/not paying for cell phone activity? We're leaving in three hours, so don't spend too much time thinking about this.

I looked into this a few months ago when we went on a cruise.

First, you need to "opt in" by going to the website and signing up.

Second, you only get charged for days you actually use the phone. Actually, I think it is a 24 hour period from first use.

We set up one phone, just in case, but never used it.

We'll take checks, money orders, gift cards, credit cards or even cruise tickets, inside or balcony. [emoji3]

Great. But, I must tell you at CardsFan's insistence, we signed up for international calls. That expense will unfortunately reduce the size of your award. Thank you for understanding.

Have a great time, redduck!

Last edited:
While we are still on the subject, our cell phones won't work in Mexico unless we pay AT&T an extra $10.00 a day for each phone (at least I think that might be the fee). Any thoughts about paying/not paying for cell phone activity? We're leaving in three hours, so don't spend too much time thinking about this.

Keep your phones on no roaming?

T-Mobile includes Mexico and Canada in their US plans.

Have a great trip!

Circa 1998, when my late wife and I were fulltime RVing, we drove from Parker, AZ, to Yuma with another couple who were looking for people they knew......pulled into this huge RV park and asked the first people we saw where they might possibly be......apropos of nothing one of them commented that "He and his wife had been coming to this same park every winter for 15 years.."

Simultaneously the four of us in our truck blurted out "WHY?"
Our friend's Father went there every winter. To the same question, she said it was all he could afford. He also used to smuggle cheap alcohol under the floor of his RV upon his return to Canada, enough to last him until next winter.

We came through Yuma on our way to Mexico in 2008. We left the hotel in the morning in the midst of a blinding sandstorm. We drove along the interstate toward Nogales for an hour with emergency flashers on. Then we just had sagebrush to contend with.

We never have trouble finding a deck chair to sit in. We want to visit with others and are rarely in our room.

Great. But, I must tell you at CardsFan's insistence, we signed up for international calls. That expense will unfortunately reduce the size of your award. Thank you for understanding.

I guess you have embarked by now. Hope you have a great trip.

Yeah, I guess I don't consider 6 friends on a sailboat "cruising," but I agree with you 100% that there is something for everyone on a boat. My problem is that what I'm looking for is a 60 foot yacht with a large stateroom, sailing through the Virgin Islands, one other couple and a full staff (chef, captain, and someone to make me cocktails) :) A little on the spendy side.

A standard cruise ship - definitely not for me. If I won an all expense paid 7 day cruise on a boat with more than about 1,000 people, I'd donate it to charity.

Last year we did a cruise through the British Virgin Islands on a 48 foot yacht with 2 other couples, a captain and a chef/cocktail waitress. A 7-day cruise was about $7K/couple including tips. A lot more than a huge cruise ship but all of us felt it was a good value.

Last year we did a 7-day cruise through the BVI on a 48 foot yacht with a captain and chef/first mate/cocktail waitress. We shared the yacht with 2 other couples and all had nice staterooms with private baths. It was $7K/couple including tips. A lot more than a huge cruise ship but far more relaxing and a truly customized experience. We all felt it was a good value.

We have done far fewer cruises since retiring. This may seem counter intuitive.

Now that we have more time we are doing independent land tours. Often two a year, two months at a time. We may pick up a last minute cruise as part of the journey. Independent land travel can be tiring, especially when we typically only plan a few days in advance. So the cruise is a nice vacation from that-in the same manner it was when we were working.

Now retired, we prefer to travel at our own pace and spend more time in some locations than would otherwise be possible on a cruise or an organized land tour. We do enjoy a cruise. Last year we combined a SA cruise with independent travel. Worked out well for us.

We have done far fewer cruises since retiring. This may seem counter intuitive.

Now that we have more time we are doing independent land tours. Often two a year, two months at a time. We may pick up a last minute cruise as part of the journey. Independent land travel can be tiring, especially when we typically only plan a few days in advance. So the cruise is a nice vacation from that-in the same manner it was when we were working.

Now retired, we prefer to travel at our own pace and spend more time in some locations than would otherwise be possible on a cruise or an organized land tour. We do enjoy a cruise. Last year we combined a SA cruise with independent travel. Worked out well for us.

Looking into slow travel next year. Care to share some of the places you have toured for a month plus?:)

Looking into slow travel next year. Care to share some of the places you have toured for a month plus?:)

Mexico Baja. Cabo, Loreto, La Paz, Los Barilles, Todos Santos. We stay 4-7 days in each place

Back
Top Bottom