Join Early Retirement Today

Thoughts on turning 62
Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thoughts on turning 62

Today’s the day, I’m now 62!

Some birthdays have been tough to get through, 50 was a hard one for me. But this one I’m CELEBRATING! I’m just feeling like this one is a mile marker. I think it’s related to Social Security. I wasn’t eligible for SS until about age 53 in 2008 when I finally completed my 40 SS credits. I had worked until we had kids but that left me at just 33 credits, so in 2006 I was 51 and realized if I was going to get this credit thing completed I was going to have to go back to work. I didn’t really want to work but that looked like the only way to ever get anything out of SS. I took the most minimal job I could find, as a school crossing guard, because it paid just enough to qualify for quarterly credits. By the 2nd quarter of 2008 I had accomplished my goal.

It turns out I really like my crossing guard job (an hour in the am and an hour in the pm) so I continue to do it. Since about 2010 I’ve put all of my pay into IRAs which feels very good to me.

So as of today, I could collect SS, but I’m not going to. At 62 it’s only $578 a month and I’d like to let it grow. One significant reason to wait is that (in the current situation) about 16% of it would go toward higher Obamacare premiums. If that aspect changes, I may reconsider. At FRA of 66 and 2 months it would be $804 a month. I’m planning on waiting until age 65 and Medicare or 14 months later at FRA. For now it’s nice to know that it’s there if I change my mind. Yeah, that’s tempting…..

About TRAVEL…….Neither of us feel the need to travel. DHs family lives in the Denver area so he goes there at least once a year and I also go some years. I like an occasional trip to a beach so we’ve done that a few times. But travel is not a big priority to us. We are just happy at home.

(I know this is getting long, but hang in there, it gets interesting.)

Then life gives you a SURPRISE….. Our 30 year old son met a young woman when he was in Kauai in Jan 2016 and she lives in Beijing, China. It’s hard to make this a simple explanation but I’ll try. She is an English speaking tour guide for tourists mostly from USA, Canada and some from Europe. My son was visiting friends who have a vacation home in Kauai who had been her clients on a tour in China. They thought she was wonderful and told her if she was ever in Kauai she was welcome to stay with them. She was visiting them when he was also visiting them. Two young single people meeting in paradise, what could possibly happen?

They kept in touch for a year and then she was arranging a few months of travel to USA and Canada and staying a few weeks with their mutual friends who are local in our area. Well, she didn’t stay long with them, she stayed with my son and they realized they are much more than friends. She has been here for 6 weeks and is leaving tomorrow. A few weeks ago they let us know what’s going on and it’s SERIOUS. He is planning a visit to meet her family in Beijing later this year and they have let us know that they are moving toward an engagement. Heads up, Mom and Dad, the wedding will be in Beijing and it’s important that you be there. Yikes! We don’t have passports! I hate flying! Don’t make me go to China!

Ok, I didn’t say that last part out loud. Within the next few days I convinced myself that this is a wonderful thing and the travel to China is something that most people would see as a wonderful opportunity and the adventure of a lifetime. Slowly, I’m getting there. The first step is trying to find my birth certificate so that I can apply for a passport, after that we have to get visas from the Chinese consulate. One step at a time.

As for the happy couple, we like her a lot. Most importantly, they are crazy about each other, get along well and have a lot of the same goals (kids!) and values. He is trying to learn what he can about her culture. She loves to cook for, and with him and he loves her cooking. We are already feeling attached to her. It all seems to be happening so fast, but they have known each other over a year, just not on the same continent. Relationship via texting and video chatting, these crazy kids nowadays!

This is a very nice life surprise for us. At 62 I will learn to “enjoy” travel.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. Great story!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! Congratulations!
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #4

Congratulations! You'll like Beijing - lots to see. No way around passports, but you COULD travel by ship, if flying is out of the question
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Congratulations!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Cool!

If you can't find your birth cert, your state's department of records can order one for you. We ordered Mr. A.'s online for $48 ($20 for the vital records company, $10 for the state processing fee, $18 to have it sent by UPS rather than snail mail).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

One thing I've noticed about turning 60 is that people now attribute every accident, ailment, or forgetful moment (theirs or mine) to age, even if the exact same things also happened at age 30.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Nice to see that your are embracing the venture! I have never been to China outside Hong Kong but I am sure it will be amazing. We rented out place to a couple from Shanghai and their parents visited. It is a different world so keep an open mind.

On the mention of cruising, you might find an enjoyable cruise that takes in a few countries on the way. Also be prepared for many eating experiences. China has more varieties than the US. Congratulations. Love knows no boundaries...
Old 02-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

What a nice story, thanks for sharing. You never know what you will be dealt in life. Have fun.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

You are now eligible for the lifetime senior pass for national parks. A milestone!
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

On the pass thing I was in Zion N P the last week of Jan and the cost was still listed as 10 dollars, does anyone know if they actually raised the price to 80 as was talked about on this forum?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #12

Happy Birthday, Sue J! I can relate to your thread because I am also looking forward to turning 62 in 7 months as will be retiring.

The National Park Service senior pass is supposed to increase to $80 on July 1, 2017 per some websites. However other web articles have stated that it will happen later this year but no definite date.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am also 62. It beats the alternative) My son did a similar thing accidentally meeting a girl from Poland at the age of 33. They dated long distance for 3 years and then married. 8 years later they are very much in love. We went to Poland for the wedding. Had a wonderful time! I have an awesome DIL and it sounds like you will too. Congrats!!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #14

You'll love China.
We spent a couple of weeks there a long time ago, and besides the cultural wonders, I've never eaten so well consistently in my life.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #15

A while ago, I ordered a paid for a senior pass to the national parks. Never got the pass though.

Here's a website that'll get you that senior pass:
https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior_pass_application.pdf
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
One thing I've noticed about turning 60 is that people now attribute every accident, ailment, or forgetful moment (theirs or mine) to age, even if the exact same things also happened at age 30.
At age 26 I left my apartment one unremarkable morning without remembering to put on my pants. (Fortunately I didn't get too far before discovering the mistake). I try to keep this episode in mind as part of my "baseline" when looking for deterioration in my mental abilities.
I was misinformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

I also turned 62 this year and the first thing I did was get my National Park pass. It was still $10 earlier this month.
inmygardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, Sue!

DW turned 62 last July. I turn 62 this August. Got the National Park Pass last year. Now to start visiting the parks.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Happy Birthday Sue and Congratulations !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #20

Sue,

Thank you for taking the time to share this. It is all good, but the love story is especially fun to read. Please keep us posted on the trip and festivities.

Happy for you and your family!
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote