Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I put all my fixed income into short-term TIPS fund in october,when Vanguard released it.Also increased my stock percentage a bit.Seems ok for now.The future,I will have to borrow Brewer"s 8 ball.

okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Sorry I wasn't very clear...yes, the situation is interest rate risk that I am concerned about. Similarly to FireD, CD's and I-Bonds look more stable going forward. Right now I am inclined to open a Roth CD for this year (actually, 2012); We have a neighborhood bank nearby that had only one foreclosure during the recent housing crisis. I'll let the other parts of our portfolio stay put.

Some food for thought: John Bogle gave an interview (sorry, I can't provide a link) that he is concerned with what is happening with TIPS and Treasuries right now re: rising interest rates. There is, of course, lots of info on the Boglehead site.

Thanks a lot for your continuing response, Everyone!
It isn't just Bogle that is concerned, everybody from Bill Gross, the manager of PIMCO, to Warren Buffett have described US Treasury as "return-free risk". Now collectively these smart guys,and those off us who follow them have been wrong on our prediction that the bond bubble is going to burst for 4 or 5 years. On the other hand we have been right saying equities will do better, and bonds funds are finally starting to dip.

I recently started moving some of my 87 year old mom's money from Vanguard GNMA to Wellesley. I know Wellesley is still 60% bonds, but
I have some confidence the Wellesley managers will be able to navigate the tricky fixed income water better than the average manager/investor.

If you comfortable with Wellesley than even 100% allocation to the fund only moves your asset allocation for 40% equities to 56%. A 50% allocation to Wellesley along with some CDs seems very sensible to me. BTW, Vanguard also offers CDs and they are generally very competitive.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
gone traveling

wife and i have a bunch of cds expiring this year. they were all started prior to the crash in 2008 and had interest rates 3.3-5.

now i am looking at far less interest rates on new CDS.

these will be a roth and non roth cds(mostly non -roth).

since i know nothing about wellington or wellesly whats your advice
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Those were the days weren't they?...when CD's had reasonable interest rates.
The plan I am settling on is to:

1. Continue gradually transferring the stocks in taxable into our Roth accounts; our easy, online business will enable us to have the yearly earned income for that.

2. Open a new account in our Roth IRA's that we will use to hold our money as we age into our 70's and 80's. We are considering one of these three:
a. Vanguard Wellesley
b. Vanguard Target Retirement Income VTINX
c. Vanguard Lifestrategy Conservative Growth fund VSCGX

3. Laddered CD's...our local credit union has reasonable rates, and they have a good "credit rating."
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
When DH got "whacked by a RIF," to borrow Ziggy29's phrase, it was June 2008, and he rolled his 401(k) over to his Schwab account, where I built him a CD ladder.

Those last few great 5% CDs are maturing this August, and we will fill in a few rungs to the ladder where the holdings are light, but also move some to the Wellesley bucket.

Chief Retirement Strategist
The AR Group
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote