Join Early Retirement Today
Took the plunge... Utah UESP/Vanguard 529 plan
Old 11-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Took the plunge... Utah UESP/Vanguard 529 plan

Was going thru a bunch of plans and plopped a few thousand bucks to open up an account for my firstborn for the UESP 529 plan this week.

had been going back/forth with this 529 vs the Nevada/Vanguard and Alaska/T Rowe Price, but ultimately was convinced that Utah was the better choice (at least for my family's needs).

It's weird now having to account for this expense (will be doing the monthly DCA after the initial lump sum amount to avoid random fees), in addition to IRA, 401K's, insurance, etc...

Kids definitely cost a lot of money. But they are so worth it!

How are your experiences with whatever 529 plan that you've chosen?

wilkens21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
We just cashed out our Utah UESP plans for the tax deduction. It's a good plan. You have chosen wisely.

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe
We are in the UESP 529 plan, and are still down quite a bit. Luckily, the kids are still young. We chose a "fixed" equities (10% international) option rather than the age-based options. I'm considering changing to the 30% international option at some point.

If you live in Utah, be sure to watch for the UESP section on your Utah tax return.
axtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When our daughter was 2 -- she's 27 now! -- DH and I invested in one of the first pre-paid tuition plans in the nation. That $7,400 paid her full tuition/fees at an outstanding state school, with several smaller scholarships covering the rest of her costs. Sure was a good year of tuition/fees would have been in excess of $10,000 without the plan.

Congratulations on setting up your plan for your child!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote