Join Early Retirement Today
Trouble understanding I Bond interest calculation
Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Trouble understanding I Bond interest calculation

I have a fair number of I Bonds purchased more or less yearly between 2002 to 2009. Recently there was a discussion about I bonds and I took away from it that starting in May 2011 I bonds were paying 4.6% inflation adjustment May thru November.

Disregarding the fixed interest rate portion on the majority of my older I bonds, I am under the impression that I should see a minimum monthly increase in value of my I bonds over this 6 month period = 4.6% / 12 months X total face value of I bonds.

What is wrong with this calculation? What Treasury Direct shows is much less than this. Additionally, these same I Bonds were earning in excess of $700 per month two years ago, and for the month of July 2011 I received only $236.80 compared to $420.00 in July 2010. I thought I Bonds were paying zero for inflation adjustment last year, but Treasurey Direct calculated more monthly interest last year than this year, (I assumed totally on the fixed % of my older I Bonds).

I have tried to get a handle on the calculation of interest on the Treasury Direct web site but can't really get an understanding why the monthly calculated interest continues to decline.

What am I missing?

My motto is.... "a dollar saved is better than a dollar earned. I don't pay tax on the dollar I saved."
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Have you tried the i-bond calculator on the treasury direct website?

Calculate the Value of Your Paper Savings Bond(s)

It will tell you what your bonds are currently earning.

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
What am I missing?
Each bond has its own six-month cycles depending on the month it was issued. The 4.6% rate is in effect May through October for bonds issued in May. For bonds issued in July, the cycle is July through Dec. and Jan. through June. July isn't over yet. You are looking at the previous cycle for July bonds. Inflation was lower in the previous cycle.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote