Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Premier is really overkill for most of us, I think.

Deluxe is adequate and $50 on Amazon for Fed and state.

Costco also usually has a good price in January.
I actually had a question on that. I need schedule D and schedule E and related depreciation schedules and prefer to e-file. Can I do that with Deluxe? If so then I'll go with that.

I have a faint recollection that with one of the TT versions you could fill out some schedules but not efile them but I don't recall the details.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here is a table showing what each version of TurboTax covers:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...ompare/desktop

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
I cut all ties to VG (moved the last of what was once north of $7 million there a few months ago) because of their crappy website, worse policies and even worse customer service. So glad I did. After moving all my money, they dinged me for a $4.95 fee for some garbage. Took a month and a FINRA complaint to get them to straighten it out. Still trying to get them to close my accounts so they can't screw anything else up. Supposed Flagship rep never returned calls.
Just found out that web upgrades killed off at least one nice feature--ablity to make contributions to my SEP-IRA:

Quote:
A recent update to the website has caused an error related to SEP-IRA contributions and may prevent you from making the contribution online. We are working diligently to resolve this, however, we would request that in the mean time you call and make contributions to your SEP-IRA with a representative over the phone.
After the beginning of the year, I'll start looking at other options. I never thought I'd fall out of love with Vanguard.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #24

With the issues that TurboTax had last year I'm not surprised that Vanguard cut ties.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #25

Went ahead and bought Tax Cut yesterday for $22. Done with Turbo Tax. Too bad Vanguard no longer offering the TT deal but can't blame them after last years fiasco.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Went ahead and bought Tax Cut yesterday for $22. Done with Turbo Tax. Too bad Vanguard no longer offering the TT deal but can't blame them after last years fiasco.
Good price…where did you get it for $22?

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #27

Fidelity's web site claims they'll still offer TurboTax with more details "in December" (yeah, I know it's December). We can also get it through Costco but I may get TaxAct anyway. I got TurboTax last year but didn't get a refund because I hadn't used it the year before. (I had used them in many previous years.) Now I know they're sneaky. I'll go elsewhere.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Good price…where did you get it for $22?
My Bad, I said Tax Cut but I meant Tax Act. Sorry for the confusion. I used tax Act last year and it worked well which is why I bought it again this year
Old 12-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #29

Emailed VG Flagship rep and told him I heard that VG was not offering TurboTax Deluxe complimentary to Flagship members, or discounted to others. His reply email was the same verbiage as originally posted here, which arrived 3 minutes after the original email broadcast from Vanguard today.

I had gone to Taxact and put the $21.99 offer in my account cart, but didn't buy it before logging off. Today it has disappeared from my cart and the price in now $29.99.......
Old 12-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Looks like I am going to Taxact for $22...

H&R and TT are now in the $50 to $60 or more range....

Kinda POed that Vanguard is cutting this from our benefits...
Yes. Then you get the opportunity like I did in May of each year to pre-order the following year for only $19 (fed/state). I would never TT's prices, nor H&R's.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Wow - big change.

As long as Deluxe will offer the schedule D, we can go back to Deluxe, and buy it from Costco or Amazon depending on who has the best deal.

Got a free Premier from Fidelity last year, but don't know what they will offer for 2015 taxes.

The TT link doesn't say which versions handle schedule D.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - big change.

As long as Deluxe will offer the schedule D, we can go back to Deluxe, and buy it from Costco or Amazon depending on who has the best deal.

Got a free Premier from Fidelity last year, but don't know what they will offer for 2015 taxes.

The TT link doesn't say which versions handle schedule D.
TurboTax Restores Popular Forms to Desktop Software | The TurboTax Blog
Old 12-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Also if you click a product, you can then click on a tab that shows you the forms included with that product. For example, for deluxe download:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...oad/deluxe.jsp
Old 12-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #34

TaxAct:

Looks like they have increased their prices. The link below is for on-line access and storage on their site. If you prefer desktop products, add $10 more.

https://www.taxact.com/index.asp

For years, their deluxe version for itemizers had everything in it for $9.99. They were acquired by Blucora (formerly Infospace) in 2012, and now offer a product for small businesses. In any event, they are STILL less expensive than TT, and put out a good product.

I prefer the desktop version. I pre-order in May (based on email from them) and paid $12.99 to be charged in January when the final version is ready. They sent out the preliminary version for review at the beginning of November.

Rita
Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Turbo did fine for my simple needs, just sent this message to my Flagship rep. In the entire time I've had Flagship status it's the only message I've ever sent her:

"I just wanted to pass along how disappointed I am to learn today that Vanguard will no longer be offering a complimentary copy of TurboTax software to it's Flagship clients this year. It was one of the few perks that helped me ignore competitive offers to move my accounts; it really is the little things that matter."

Edit: I received a response fairly quickly:

Dear Mr:

I will share your feedback via our Voice of the Client response. Many of my
clients share your disappointment that Vanguard is no longer offering a
complimentary copy of TurboTax. I hope to be able to serve you in the
future and demonstrate the value of Flagship and Vanguard.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Turbo did fine for my simple needs, just sent this message to my Flagship rep. In the entire time I've had Flagship status it's the only message I've ever sent her:

"I just wanted to pass along how disappointed I am to learn today that Vanguard will no longer be offering a complimentary copy of TurboTax software to it's Flagship clients this year. It was one of the few perks that helped me ignore competitive offers to move my accounts; it really is the little things that matter."

Edit: I received a response fairly quickly:

Dear Mr:

I will share your feedback via our Voice of the Client response. Many of my
clients share your disappointment that Vanguard is no longer offering a
complimentary copy of TurboTax. I hope to be able to serve you in the
future and demonstrate the value of Flagship and Vanguard.
My Flagship representative never responded to my follow-up email after his original response. Guess when your out in front and are among the least expensive - you don't have to worry about Customer Service. Was also the first time I've contacted this (my third) Flagship Rep.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

We buy our TT from this site SaveDealz. We've bought from here for several years. Never a problem. Download to our desktop. Their prices cannot be beat. TT Deluxe is $24.99 for Federal and State.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
We buy our TT from this site SaveDealz. We've bought from here for several years. Never a problem. Download to our desktop. Their prices cannot be beat. TT Deluxe is $24.99 for Federal and State.
There you are! I've been searching for the post that told me about SaveDealz. I bought Home and Business from them last year at your suggestion, and only paid $45, as opposed to $80 on Amazon. Great deal, easy download, and full featured. I second (and thank you for) your recommendation.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Much as I will miss the free TT, I think it is in Vanguard's best interest to do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
With the issues that TurboTax had last year I'm not surprised that Vanguard cut ties.
Yes. I don't think Vanguard owes me a discount, and I don't think, based on Intuit's history, that it is the kind of company with which Vanguard wants to be associated.

I'll probably go with H&R Block's product again. I liked it better than Tax Act, and found it to be just as good as/considerably cheaper than Turbo Tax. Doing taxes is such a PITA and a missed "opportunity" is so costly that I don't mind spending a few dollars more for a product that I've found to be easy to use and which works well.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post

I used same site last year for TT Home And Business. No problems encountered.