Turbotax Changes

It's always been this way. I always by Deluxe and it always has the ability to handle Schedule D. I think they just like to defraud people by pimping them to by the higher end product. Maybe this year they "really mean it"....?

Every year I consider going with TAX CUT but default to "the devil I know" and use turbo again.

Speaking of fraud, I just got my annual Deluxe and my credit card has been charged for $59.99. But NOW I see it's been cut to $29.99 and premier has been cut to $49.99

I'll run deluxe and see just what it can do. I might end up buying TAX CUT just on f%&!ing principle!

Thanks for the heads up and link, bizlady.

Edit to add: remembering last year, they included schedule D in the Deluxe desktop version but not the Deluxe online version. Now it's gone from both. We'll wait and see what Vanguard offers. It may be time to look at other products - or just do it by hand. :)

Last edited:
It's always been this way. I always by Deluxe and it always has the ability to handle Schedule D. I think they just like to defraud people by pimping them to by the higher end product. Maybe this year they "really mean it"....?

Every year I consider going with TAX CUT but default to "the devil I know" and use turbo again.

Speaking of fraud, I just got my annual Deluxe and my credit card has been charged for $59.99. But NOW I see it's been cut to $29.99 and premier has been cut to $49.99

I'll run deluxe and see just what it can do. I might end up buying TAX CUT just on f%&!ing principle!

Difference in cost may be that you ordered State returns as well.

remembering last year, they included schedule D in the Deluxe desktop version but not the Deluxe online version. Now it's gone from both. We'll wait and see what Vanguard offers.

Just a reminder that Fidelity will also give you a copy if you have a significant account with them. I only learned that last year (thanks, Dimsumkid!) and you have to ask for it.

I think this is the year I toss turbotax for a competitor.

What is the minimum to get tax software from Fido?

Thanks for the heads up and link, bizlady.

Edit to add: remembering last year, they included schedule D in the Deluxe desktop version but not the Deluxe online version. Now it's gone from both. We'll wait and see what Vanguard offers. It may be time to look at other products - or just do it by hand. :)

Somehow, I can't see Vanguard offering a Flagship customer benefit tax package that cannot handle investment returns. It sort of defeats the purpose. However, dumber things have happened...

What is the minimum to get tax software from Fido?

According to Dimsumkid, it's "call and see if you qualify" based on your account size and activity.

I have a designated account rep, which I think means around $1M total account value. I had a session with him last summer and asked him about it, and he said "Since you asked, I'll put you on the list to get one."

FWIW, I tried the free TaxAct software last year and hated it. Back to TT for me. In all fairness, my returns are basic enough that I'd probably be fine with paper and pencil, but I like having the extra oversight of the software. I would never use the online version though.

It may be time to look at other products - or just do it by hand. :)

I don't recommend the latter unless you have really simple finances. In 2013 I decided to try and to the return for my state of residence because I was too cheap to download a second state (also had to file in the state where I worked). I'm very comfortable with finance and tax concepts, have been using software to do taxes myself for a few decades, and am a whiz with Excel. I royally screwed it up. Too darn many "gotchas" and "mini-worksheets" that all feed into each other in ways I couldn't get from the Instructions. Six months after our first nasty, threatening letter from the state, I think we're OK, but I still haven't gotten our $72 refund.

I switch back and forth between providers even though that may mean re-entering. I dropped TurboTax after they screwed up the AMT calculation on my taxes. I learned this from a letter from the IRS and then sent a note to TurboTax Customer Service. No acknowledgement at all. I didn't expect them to pay the extra tax- that was my obligation- but a thanks or an apology would have been nice.

My account at Fidelity is a little over $400K. Maybe I can get TurboTax free from them.

Just a reminder that Fidelity will also give you a copy if you have a significant account with them. I only learned that last year (thanks, Dimsumkid!) and you have to ask for it.
I did not know that, thanks for the tip.

I don't recommend the latter unless you have really simple finances. In 2013 I decided to try and to the return for my state of residence because I was too cheap to download a second state (also had to file in the state where I worked). I'm very comfortable with finance and tax concepts, have been using software to do taxes myself for a few decades, and am a whiz with Excel. I royally screwed it up. Too darn many "gotchas" and "mini-worksheets" that all feed into each other in ways I couldn't get from the Instructions. Six months after our first nasty, threatening letter from the state, I think we're OK, but I still haven't gotten our $72 refund.
Thanks, I appreciate the warning, it is easy to make a mistake. I may do it anyway, if for no better reason than to say to myself "I can".

I misunderstood all the warnings on this site and thought that the Deluxe edition just didn't allow e-filing of Schedule D and that it still had schedule D functionality if you wanted to file the paper version. I bought it from Costco. Of course the thing stopped dead when I indicated that I had capital gains and losses and I had to pay $30 to upgrade.

When Costco sent me an e-mail asking me to review the product, I was happy to comply. Also happy to see that nearly every review so far is a paraphrase of mine: "doesn't do what it did last year, had to pay extra if I wanted the same functionality, returning the product (or going to a competitor next year)".

I hope a few heads roll at Intuit over this but I'm not holding my breath.

According to Dimsumkid, it's "call and see if you qualify" based on your account size and activity.

I have a designated account rep, which I think means around $1M total account value.

If you missed my updates, I've qualified for free Turbotax thru Fidelity for years. This year, they changed the asset requirements, this is as best I can tell as I've been in discussions for the last 3 weeks!

You need to meet all 3 requirements (terminology may not be entirely accurate as I scribbled it down as fast as I could) and they must be under 1 SSN, you'll be able to get Premier online only and it should work:

1) 1 mil in non retirement assets,
2) 100k in personal investment/invest-able assets and
3) 1 mil in total personal workplace assets.

It seems self employment retirement assets and annuities are completely removed from what they call "workplace" assets.

Intuit's public relations nightmare and huge misstep has to have resulted in loss of market share. Things just keep getting worse and worse for TurboTax:

Intuit gets greedy, nearly doubles price of TurboTax

From the article:

Needless to say, Intuit is getting skinned alive on Amazon. As of this writing, TurboTax 2014 has 852 one-star ratings on Amazon and just 81 five-star ratings, and TurboTax has been far and away the most popular home tax prep software on the market for years. User comments are understandably furious. Bob Meighan, a CPA and the vice president of customer advocacy for TurboTax at Intuit, is attempting to put out fires on the Amazon reviews, but it looks more like Intuit has thrown him to the lions.

H&R Block, which has always run a distant second to TurboTax, smells blood in the water and is offering a free copy of its tax prep software, federal and state, to the many furious TurboTax users. There isn't a site for this, you have to email H&R Block at SwitchToBlock@hrblock.com and include your name, address, and phone number, operating system and a photo, scan, or email showing proof of TurboTax Basic or Deluxe purchase.

Once approved, H&R Block will then send a link for one free download of H&R Block Deluxe + State tax software. You can even import last year’s tax return from TurboTax into the H&R Block tax software.

I've already bought TurboTax Premier this year, but I'm tempted to try H&R Block and see how it compares. I think it's smart they're offering it for free. Give it a shot for free this year and if it works well, we might have a new customer next year and so on.

Intuit's public relations nightmare and huge misstep has to have resulted in loss of market share. Things just keep getting worse and worse for TurboTax:

Intuit gets greedy, nearly doubles price of TurboTax

From the article:

I had purchased the TurboTax and was then forced to upgrade to Home & Business for the Schedule C. I sent an email to the H&R Block mentioned above and received my code for a free download today. :dance: I will run taxes on both and compare the numbers and see if I prefer H&R Block over TT. We have been long-time users of TT - but what they have done stinks.

I have been using TT and Quicken (and Quickbooks) since those products came out. As of now, I am no longer an Intuit customer after just trying out H&R Block tax software. ;)

This year, they changed the asset requirements, this is as best I can tell as I've been in discussions for the last 3 weeks!

You need to meet all 3 requirements (terminology may not be entirely accurate as I scribbled it down as fast as I could) and they must be under 1 SSN, you'll be able to get Premier online only and it should work:

1) 1 mil in non retirement assets,
2) 100k in personal investment/invest-able assets and
3) 1 mil in total personal workplace assets.

Thanks. I am probably in the same situation as you, and there was a definition change. My rep said I should qualify for it free, but the website still won't let me get it that way. He offered to reimburse me instead.

Rather than hassle with it, I just bought it from Amazon. Like last year, my poor planning means I have a refund coming, so I'll use the Amazon 10% bonus to pay for Turbotax.

However, I also bought a copy of TaxAct, and I plan to do my taxes in both systems side-by-side this year to compare. Next year I might just forget about TT entirely and use the much cheaper TaxAct instead.

Thanks. I am probably in the same situation as you, and there was a definition change. My rep said I should qualify for it free, but the website still won't let me get it that way. He offered to reimburse me instead.

Rather than hassle with it, I just bought it from Amazon. Like last year, my poor planning means I have a refund coming, so I'll use the Amazon 10% bonus to pay for Turbotax.

However, I also bought a copy of TaxAct, and I plan to do my taxes in both systems side-by-side this year to compare. Next year I might just forget about TT entirely and use the much cheaper TaxAct instead.

Note if you have amazon prime the price for Premier is $54.99.

You're welcome. Hopefully you asked Fidelity for the reimbursement. If you haven't opened up TaxAct yet, I would recommend contacting HR Block and ask them to send you their software, it's a free download once you send them proof of Turbotax purchase. Why pay for an alternate tax software if you don't have to?

I've been using TaxAct since '98 and it's been fine by me. If you don't care about importing last years data, the FED version is free ( web or download )

After many years of using Turbotax Deluxe I just downloaded TaxAct. TurboTax shenanigans this year really got to me. My wife has a tiny income from a hobby farm so I can't even use the free Premier download from Vanguard ( no schedule F) and I'd be forced to use the Home and Business version which is over $80 . This fine performance by the folks at Intuit also has me looking at alternatives for Quicken which I've used since the early DOS version.

I do need Schedule D this year and that is all that would require me to have Premier so I just said "no" and bought HR Block Deluxe instead. I also decided not to update Quicken and just use YNAB (Before I was using both). HR Block so far looks fine and I imported last year's TT data so I'm happy with the change.

I misunderstood all the warnings on this site and thought that the Deluxe edition just didn't allow e-filing of Schedule D and that it still had schedule D functionality if you wanted to file the paper version. I bought it from Costco. Of course the thing stopped dead when I indicated that I had capital gains and losses and I had to pay $30 to upgrade.

When Costco sent me an e-mail asking me to review the product, I was happy to comply. Also happy to see that nearly every review so far is a paraphrase of mine: "doesn't do what it did last year, had to pay extra if I wanted the same functionality, returning the product (or going to a competitor next year)".

I hope a few heads roll at Intuit over this but I'm not holding my breath.
I noticed Premier was $55 at Costco this week which was cheaper than expected.

Now that we downloaded Premier for free following the Fidelity link, I don't intend to pay for it ever again! :)

Back
Top Bottom