Join Early Retirement Today

Turbotax Changes
Old 11-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Turbotax Changes

FYI for TurboTax users- it looks like they moved key features for filing 2014 returns up to the "next level" in many cases of the software. So look before you buy your usual version...
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare.jsp

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's always been this way. I always by Deluxe and it always has the ability to handle Schedule D. I think they just like to defraud people by pimping them to by the higher end product. Maybe this year they "really mean it"....?

Every year I consider going with TAX CUT but default to "the devil I know" and use turbo again.

Speaking of fraud, I just got my annual Deluxe and my credit card has been charged for $59.99. But NOW I see it's been cut to $29.99 and premier has been cut to $49.99

I'll run deluxe and see just what it can do. I might end up buying TAX CUT just on f%&!ing principle!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #3

Tax Act is way cheaper and has Sch D.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the heads up and link, bizlady.

Edit to add: remembering last year, they included schedule D in the Deluxe desktop version but not the Deluxe online version. Now it's gone from both. We'll wait and see what Vanguard offers. It may be time to look at other products - or just do it by hand.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
It's always been this way. I always by Deluxe and it always has the ability to handle Schedule D. I think they just like to defraud people by pimping them to by the higher end product. Maybe this year they "really mean it"....?

Every year I consider going with TAX CUT but default to "the devil I know" and use turbo again.

Speaking of fraud, I just got my annual Deluxe and my credit card has been charged for $59.99. But NOW I see it's been cut to $29.99 and premier has been cut to $49.99

I'll run deluxe and see just what it can do. I might end up buying TAX CUT just on f%&!ing principle!
Difference in cost may be that you ordered State returns as well.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
remembering last year, they included schedule D in the Deluxe desktop version but not the Deluxe online version. Now it's gone from both. We'll wait and see what Vanguard offers.
Just a reminder that Fidelity will also give you a copy if you have a significant account with them. I only learned that last year (thanks, Dimsumkid!) and you have to ask for it.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think this is the year I toss turbotax for a competitor.

What is the minimum to get tax software from Fido?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up and link, bizlady.

Edit to add: remembering last year, they included schedule D in the Deluxe desktop version but not the Deluxe online version. Now it's gone from both. We'll wait and see what Vanguard offers. It may be time to look at other products - or just do it by hand.
Somehow, I can't see Vanguard offering a Flagship customer benefit tax package that cannot handle investment returns. It sort of defeats the purpose. However, dumber things have happened...
Old 11-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
What is the minimum to get tax software from Fido?
According to Dimsumkid, it's "call and see if you qualify" based on your account size and activity.

I have a designated account rep, which I think means around $1M total account value. I had a session with him last summer and asked him about it, and he said "Since you asked, I'll put you on the list to get one."

FWIW, I tried the free TaxAct software last year and hated it. Back to TT for me. In all fairness, my returns are basic enough that I'd probably be fine with paper and pencil, but I like having the extra oversight of the software. I would never use the online version though.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
It may be time to look at other products - or just do it by hand.
I don't recommend the latter unless you have really simple finances. In 2013 I decided to try and to the return for my state of residence because I was too cheap to download a second state (also had to file in the state where I worked). I'm very comfortable with finance and tax concepts, have been using software to do taxes myself for a few decades, and am a whiz with Excel. I royally screwed it up. Too darn many "gotchas" and "mini-worksheets" that all feed into each other in ways I couldn't get from the Instructions. Six months after our first nasty, threatening letter from the state, I think we're OK, but I still haven't gotten our $72 refund.

I switch back and forth between providers even though that may mean re-entering. I dropped TurboTax after they screwed up the AMT calculation on my taxes. I learned this from a letter from the IRS and then sent a note to TurboTax Customer Service. No acknowledgement at all. I didn't expect them to pay the extra tax- that was my obligation- but a thanks or an apology would have been nice.

My account at Fidelity is a little over $400K. Maybe I can get TurboTax free from them.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just a reminder that Fidelity will also give you a copy if you have a significant account with them. I only learned that last year (thanks, Dimsumkid!) and you have to ask for it.
I did not know that, thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I don't recommend the latter unless you have really simple finances. In 2013 I decided to try and to the return for my state of residence because I was too cheap to download a second state (also had to file in the state where I worked). I'm very comfortable with finance and tax concepts, have been using software to do taxes myself for a few decades, and am a whiz with Excel. I royally screwed it up. Too darn many "gotchas" and "mini-worksheets" that all feed into each other in ways I couldn't get from the Instructions. Six months after our first nasty, threatening letter from the state, I think we're OK, but I still haven't gotten our $72 refund.
Thanks, I appreciate the warning, it is easy to make a mistake. I may do it anyway, if for no better reason than to say to myself "I can".
Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the warning, it is easy to make a mistake. I may do it anyway, if for no better reason than to say to myself "I can".

You could be like Ralph Kramden and say:

"I GOT A BIIIIIGG MOUTH!"

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #13

I misunderstood all the warnings on this site and thought that the Deluxe edition just didn't allow e-filing of Schedule D and that it still had schedule D functionality if you wanted to file the paper version. I bought it from Costco. Of course the thing stopped dead when I indicated that I had capital gains and losses and I had to pay $30 to upgrade.

When Costco sent me an e-mail asking me to review the product, I was happy to comply. Also happy to see that nearly every review so far is a paraphrase of mine: "doesn't do what it did last year, had to pay extra if I wanted the same functionality, returning the product (or going to a competitor next year)".

I hope a few heads roll at Intuit over this but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
According to Dimsumkid, it's "call and see if you qualify" based on your account size and activity.

I have a designated account rep, which I think means around $1M total account value.
If you missed my updates, I've qualified for free Turbotax thru Fidelity for years. This year, they changed the asset requirements, this is as best I can tell as I've been in discussions for the last 3 weeks!

You need to meet all 3 requirements (terminology may not be entirely accurate as I scribbled it down as fast as I could) and they must be under 1 SSN, you'll be able to get Premier online only and it should work:

1) 1 mil in non retirement assets,
2) 100k in personal investment/invest-able assets and
3) 1 mil in total personal workplace assets.

It seems self employment retirement assets and annuities are completely removed from what they call "workplace" assets.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #15

Intuit's public relations nightmare and huge misstep has to have resulted in loss of market share. Things just keep getting worse and worse for TurboTax:

Intuit gets greedy, nearly doubles price of TurboTax

From the article:

Quote:
Needless to say, Intuit is getting skinned alive on Amazon. As of this writing, TurboTax 2014 has 852 one-star ratings on Amazon and just 81 five-star ratings, and TurboTax has been far and away the most popular home tax prep software on the market for years. User comments are understandably furious. Bob Meighan, a CPA and the vice president of customer advocacy for TurboTax at Intuit, is attempting to put out fires on the Amazon reviews, but it looks more like Intuit has thrown him to the lions.
Quote:
H&R Block, which has always run a distant second to TurboTax, smells blood in the water and is offering a free copy of its tax prep software, federal and state, to the many furious TurboTax users. There isn't a site for this, you have to email H&R Block at SwitchToBlock@hrblock.com and include your name, address, and phone number, operating system and a photo, scan, or email showing proof of TurboTax Basic or Deluxe purchase.

Once approved, H&R Block will then send a link for one free download of H&R Block Deluxe + State tax software. You can even import last year’s tax return from TurboTax into the H&R Block tax software.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've already bought TurboTax Premier this year, but I'm tempted to try H&R Block and see how it compares. I think it's smart they're offering it for free. Give it a shot for free this year and if it works well, we might have a new customer next year and so on.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Intuit's public relations nightmare and huge misstep has to have resulted in loss of market share. Things just keep getting worse and worse for TurboTax:

Intuit gets greedy, nearly doubles price of TurboTax

From the article:
I had purchased the TurboTax and was then forced to upgrade to Home & Business for the Schedule C. I sent an email to the H&R Block mentioned above and received my code for a free download today. I will run taxes on both and compare the numbers and see if I prefer H&R Block over TT. We have been long-time users of TT - but what they have done stinks.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I have been using TT and Quicken (and Quickbooks) since those products came out. As of now, I am no longer an Intuit customer after just trying out H&R Block tax software.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
This year, they changed the asset requirements, this is as best I can tell as I've been in discussions for the last 3 weeks!

You need to meet all 3 requirements (terminology may not be entirely accurate as I scribbled it down as fast as I could) and they must be under 1 SSN, you'll be able to get Premier online only and it should work:

1) 1 mil in non retirement assets,
2) 100k in personal investment/invest-able assets and
3) 1 mil in total personal workplace assets.
Thanks. I am probably in the same situation as you, and there was a definition change. My rep said I should qualify for it free, but the website still won't let me get it that way. He offered to reimburse me instead.

Rather than hassle with it, I just bought it from Amazon. Like last year, my poor planning means I have a refund coming, so I'll use the Amazon 10% bonus to pay for Turbotax.

However, I also bought a copy of TaxAct, and I plan to do my taxes in both systems side-by-side this year to compare. Next year I might just forget about TT entirely and use the much cheaper TaxAct instead.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks. I am probably in the same situation as you, and there was a definition change. My rep said I should qualify for it free, but the website still won't let me get it that way. He offered to reimburse me instead.

Rather than hassle with it, I just bought it from Amazon. Like last year, my poor planning means I have a refund coming, so I'll use the Amazon 10% bonus to pay for Turbotax.

However, I also bought a copy of TaxAct, and I plan to do my taxes in both systems side-by-side this year to compare. Next year I might just forget about TT entirely and use the much cheaper TaxAct instead.
Note if you have amazon prime the price for Premier is $54.99.

Tags
turbotax