Turbotax Deluxe and H&R Block Deluxe Question and State Efiling

Romer

Recycles dryer sheets
I have used Turbotax Deluxe for as long as I can remember with no issues.

As reported elsewhere, Intuit is cracking down on accounts. My adult kids would come over and do their taxes on my computer. Last year I had them load it on theirs so they wouldn't be so stressed getting it done in an evening at my house.

We each have our own Intuit account for e-filing, but looks like that won't work with the License based on what I read

Does H&R Block Deluxe require an account to efile and is it tied to the SW license?

They both say can file 5 returns. I don't see how an individual or married couple can file more than 1, so I have always used it for my daughters to gives us 3 returns out of the 5 allowed.

My basic question is how do the two SW packages differ relative to License, computers loaded on and filing (Need account??)

On another related Topic, I have been paying $20 for years (now $25) to file my state taxes.

T his article says I am wasting my money and can file directly with the state. Anyone done that?
https://thefinancebuff.com/free-efile-state-tax-return-direct.html

Your daughters can still do their taxes on their own computers with TTax, but after they finish, they will have to copy the .tax2023 file over to your computer in order to e-file or create a printable pdf.

I don't know how H&R Block works with regards to accounts and the e-file limits, so somone else will hopefully fill in that blank. I can tell you that the max of 5 e-files per non-professional preparer is set by the IRS, not by Intuit or Block.

You may or may not be able to file your state returns for free. Different state programs have different capabilities. For example, CalFile can't handle a state return where the corresponding Fed return has Schedule C, D, E, F or S, so I haven't been able to use it for DH's and my return. I was able to use it for our daughter's return before she started a side gig that requires a Sched C, so now I just email her the pdf that TTax produces and she prints it and mails it in to the state. (Yes, we are cheap!)

This is what the software license states for H&R Block desktop software

Software copies. You may only install and use the Software on one computer. You may copy the Software for backup and archival purposes only, as long as the original and each copy are kept in your possession and control.

The license does state that you can prepare and file up to five returns for you or immediate family.

You and your kids could try out freetaxusa. Free Fed and $14.99 state. Just another option to think about.

SC used to have an online filing system, but it went away a couple of years ago. It’s tempting to file paper out of principle but I’ve been paying the filing fee with H&RB. I usually get my paltry refund (if I’ve done my homework) within 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom