Turbotax or Taxcut ??????

Been using TurboTax for about 10 years. See no reason to change. Does what I need with no muss, no fuss.

Grumpy

I switched from Tax-Cut to Turbo-Tax 2 years ago. Either one is clunky, but Turbo-Tax overall seems better for my needs.

Ha

I've used both but have been using Taxcut the last couple of years. Will stick with it this year. Both perform about the same.  :-\

I have only used TT and for the last 8 years. I have been very satisfied with it. Since my income will have flunctuated from last year to the next several years, it has helped me determine my approximate annual taxes.

MJ

I've used both over the years - switching from one to the other based on price. I can't recall any meaningful differences between the two. One thing to consider when shopping is the cost of "State Tax Modules". I have the great fortune of being required to file both NY and NJ state income taxes and often the difference in price between Turbo Tax and Tax Cut came down to how much the state tax packages cost. If both packages were priced identically I would probably go with the package I used the previous year to avoid any backward compatability issues when importing data.

Check with your broker or financial institution, they may give you one or the other for free or at a reduced cost. For example, vanguard gives me access to turbotax and turbotax state free of charge.

Whichever one you go for, look for the coupon deals with the office supply stores (staples, officemax, officedepot) on www.fatwallet.com/ You may get the tax s/w, quicken or money, and a bunch of other stuff either free after rebate or under ten bucks total.

http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18/

This is an example:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...adid=565859&highlight_key=y&keyword1=turbotax

I've used Turbo Tax for about 5 years. I tried TaxCut once when TurboTax was having DRM issues (2 years ago?) and didn't like it. Many things beyond the simple stuff, it doesn't seem to offer you much help, e.g. "enter your basis" instead of having you enter the purchase/sell dates & prices. Yes, I think I know how to do that myself, but the point of tax software is to catch me when I do it wrong, not to be an electronic form filler. I think the help for K-1 partnerships was much better in TurboTax as well.

Of course, Intuit is always trying to push the envelope in what they can do to tee you off or force you to upgrade to a pricer version, for example last year they moved the help for employee stock purchase plans to the Premier version, when it was always in Deluxe before. Fine, I'll do the math myself for $20, but given the prevelence of ESPP programs this should be in deluxe.

I have been using Turbo Tax for last 6 years and intend to stay with it. I may consider switching if they go back to the copy protection a couple of years ago (2003?).

When I started doing our taxes about three years ago I got both TT & TC (from friends) and did my prior year taxes on both just to see how they worked and how they compared to each other.  I like TT a lot better.  I felt the questions were better and the flow was easy.   
I also found out that by having them done by someone else that I was shorted $400 in my refund and had to do an ammened return.

Did you hear about the constipated tax accountant that tried to use TurboTax ?

Well he ended up working it out with a pencil and paper ! :D

Someone did a review of a handful of tax packages a few years ago. Each came up with somewhat different numbers. IIRC the accountant they had review the results said that all were more or less correct depending on interpretations, how close you wanted to skid towards the edge of an audit, and how hard you were willing to argue your points.

Since at least the turbotax and taxcut people both warranty your return to be correct and at least claim they'll pay any associated fines...

Bottom Line... For the average return there isn't much difference. But if your return is complex or you have a 1120s to file then Turbo Tax is the way to go. They have more resources like their annual "Lassiter-like" help book. Kind of like "Taxes For Dummies" or maybe "Floyd R. Turbo Tax" :LOL:

get it? Floyd R. Turbo Tax:confused: Never mind. Perhaps I've had too much coffee :p

We used the Turbotax available thru the IRS website last year for free and it worked fine. Is that not available this year?

I switched to TaxCut after Intuit pulled that copy protection stunt a few years ago.

I like TaxCut even better now.   Why?   Because it's free:

Download it here

We use TurboTax at home. A colleague of mine bought TaxCut a couple years ago and asked me to help him do his taxes at home. So I got chance then to use TaxCut. I vote for TurboTax ... it just suited my style better.

I use TurboTax throughout the year to ask "What if?". One can use "SaveAs..." after making changes and keep these different scenarios around. For example, "What if I pay my 2005 property taxes in Jan2006 instead of Dec2005?"
I have found running scenarios has helped avoid AMT.

One thing I do not like is that in my area, TurboTax Deluxe is sold and not TT basic. With the deluxe version you pay for state return software. Only problem is that Texas has no state income tax and thus no need for the superfluous software.

I just bought Tax Cut, including the state tax program, for 19.99, at WalMart.

Better deal than I could get from Vanguard and better than from the other discount dealers in my area. It really is amazing, what some companies charge, for like services At Best Buy and Circuit City, they want 24.95 and up, for the same package.

Just thought, I'd pass this on. Don't think, I've ever used Tax Cut before. Seems to be just as good as TT, for basic ,uncomplicated returns.

As long as it gets me thru the &%@*^ mess with AMT, I'll be happy!

What a bag of %#@*&, that wonderful program is!!

The fun, is explaning how it works, to the DW :D

() said:
Taxcut, federal only no state, $19.99 with a $5 off coupon and a $15 "easy rebate" staples gift card back, making it free.

Why would you prefer this to the free version I posted above? No rebates, coupons, etc.

Back
Top Bottom