TurboTax: Now what?

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I missed the part prior to purchase where installing TurboTax on my PC from disk now requires an Intuit account. I don't have one, nor do I want one. Just more invasion into personal privacy. Assuming I don't want to continue, what are other options? I've been using TurboTax since 2000.

Edit 1: Apparently, my TurboTax online account I created years ago and used once carried over to Intuit. It had my username, phone number, and email address. I just needed to create a new password as the old one didn't adhere to their password rules.

Edit 2: The activation screen is just spinning dots without going further. I haven't entered in the license code yet. Been doing this for 3-4 minutes so far.

Last edited:
So, I missed the part prior to purchase where installing TurboTax on my PC from disk now requires an Intuit account. I don't have one, nor do I want one. Just more invasion into personal privacy. Assuming I don't want to continue, what are other options? I've been using TurboTax since 2000.

Edit 1: Apparently, my TurboTax online account I created years ago and used once carried over to Intuit. It had my username, phone number, and email address. I just needed to create a new password as the old one didn't adhere to their password rules.
Once your info is on the net, you are toast.

Edit 2: The activation screen is just spinning dots without going further. I haven't entered in the license code yet. Been doing this for 3-4 minutes so far.
Seems I am required to execute TurboTax in administrator mode for Windows. Thankfully, I found that advice in the FAQ rather than wait for a response from customer service.

I have the online version and-- so far --- haven't had any problems. Is this because you're installing it instead of online?

I have the online version and-- so far --- haven't had any problems. Is this because you're installing it instead of online?
Desktop installation. Purchased from Costco.

Every year, TT requires more info to prevent fraud. Entering your drivers license issue date, number, and expiration date are this years' final verification steps! P.S. State and Federal returns filed, and taxes paid and refund applied to this year's estimated taxes!

Every year, TT requires more info to prevent fraud. Entering your drivers license issue date, number, and expiration date are this years' final verification steps! P.S. State and Federal returns filed, and taxes paid and refund applied to this year's estimated taxes!
Yeah, we've been entering in the drivers license information for several years now with TurboTax.

Yeah, we've been entering in the drivers license information for several years now with TurboTax.

Me also... is that a TT requirement or a IRS one?

TT updates constantly as they find bugs, the law changes, etc. You need an account to get the updates. You do want to file an accurate return I assume. Also, if you file electronically, you need an account.

How is it possible that you've already filed? I can't get my numbers from Vanguard until after February 15th.

If you want to stay somewhat clear of private party grabbing your data, you can

Get the current filing year’s forms, instructions, and publications for free from the IRS.

Download them from IRS.gov
Order online and have them delivered by U.S. mail
Order by phone at 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676)
You can also find printed versions of many forms, instructions, and publications in your community for free at:

Libraries
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers

Then you can mail them in. But perhaps somebody will steal either your return or your refund. Take the lesser of 2 evils, whatever that might be for you.

I don't think it was a matter of avoiding an e-filing for our taxes. It was a gripe I have (maybe I'm the *only* person on this forum that gets annoyed by this) about having yet another online account that requires a password, personal information, and one more avenue that can be hacked. It wasn't required before to file with TT.

Anyway, the taxes have been filed and the Federal return approved for a small refund.

Off thread, but here's what bugs me about TT:

They have a generally awesome program and the whole thing is laid out in easy to understand questions and so on. I really love using it!

So, why do they ask me if I'm of RMD age, when they already have my birthdate information?

In one or two instances, it asks my age...seems like an odd thing for such an otherwise highly sophisticated system.

I got my numbers from Vanguard in the mail last week.

Vanguard's 1099s are available on the website now, but the info isn't available for downloading until next week. Same with eTRADE. I've entered everything else manually, but prefer to download from those sites if I can.

Vanguard's 1099s are available on the website now, but the info isn't available for downloading until next week. Same with eTRADE. I've entered everything else manually, but prefer to download from those sites if I can.

Instead of waiting to upload the forms directly from Vanguard, you could download them now and then have TT read them from your computer. It's one of the options right next to "I'll enter it manually ". It's the same as uploading them from the provider's site.

Last edited:
My Vanguard 1099 downloaded earlier this week. Schwab said to wait until later in February.

Back
Top Bottom