Underwriting

Whisper9999

Recycles dryer sheets
I have this "fear".  I'll work hard for X years to reach ER and then I go to get health insurance and the underwriting department says, "Sure, we'll give you an individual plan, but I'm sorry all we can cover Mr. Whisper is your spleen, lower jaw and left knee.  But I think you'll be pleased with how reasonable our rates are..."  

I got that impression from the previous thread:  it sounds like most states allow vigorous underwriting so that different body parts and systems can be exluded?  Is there any solution at this time short of moving?  COBRA will only last so long you know and, from what I can tell, HSA's aren't quite here yet...

In Iowa BC/BS and any other company that sells health insurance is required to offer a couple of plans to all without underwriting. Problem is, there is no lid on the cost. Right now the premium is over $1,500 per month for reasonable coverage for a family plan. Few can afford it.

For information about your state, try Georgetown University's site: http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/

Back
Top Bottom