Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were paying DISH $77/mo with a lower tier 120+ channel package (about 100 useless channels) with 2 nine year old receivers and one DVR limited to two shows at a time. They informed us it would be going up to $88/mo with no upgrade of any kind. I would have cancelled a year ago but they gave us a $35/mo ($46/mo discount vs the proposed) discount to keep us, until this month.

So now we’re paying $45/mo for PS Vue including all local major networks and PBS Passport will be $5/mo. We have a 28-day cloud DVR that’ll record as many shows as we want, and we can view on up to 5 devices (TV, PC, phone, tablet) simultaneously. And our guide isn’t cluttered up with 80%+ junk channels. Picture quality is improved too, lots of compression on DISH, not really 1080p.

Who knows, we may spring for Netflix or another movie channel and still be ahead $372/year with far greater capability! We’re not power TV watchers, so it appears to be a no brainer for us.

Similar setup for me. I don't have PBS Passport but have Prime and Netflix. I have Vue and it is is great, but I actually like Hula's channel lineup a tad better along with their on demand library. It was $5/mo less than Vue but I experienced a lot of buffering. Perhaps a faster internet service is needed with Hula? Might give them another try down the road.

I’ll be surprised if they’re still around in 10-20 years, but who knows.
There's really no doubt they'll still be around: Linear television service may ebb and flow, but those companies are still among the best ways to get broadband service. Even Google Fiber hasn't caused the kind of disruption to the broadband market here in Atlanta that some folks were hoping it would.

And of course broadband becomes the next battleground. Now that those who cut the cord are beginning to see their streaming service early adopter advantage expire, there's going to have to be a new target. Clearly, it'll be the broadband services. "Why are they charging us what broadband service is worth instead of the lesser amount that we want to pay?" As I mentioned earlier, pricing always eventually goes back to what is dictated by value-based pricing.

The question will be what people are willing to do vis a vis broadband service. That's one of the biggest bits of silliness in all this: So many people have been cluelessly bashing cable companies, broadcast networks, etc., about being "monopolies" :rolleyes: when there is, in fact, effective competition in all those spaces, while failing to take effective action in response to how much less competition there is in the broadband space.

I think part of the reason is that people just want to complain, and really don't want to do what's necessary to confront lack of competition: Treating broadband the same way electricity is treated, i.e., the "R" word (regulation). Of course, that's not a panacea either: Turning broadband into a regulated utility means giving broadband service providers a regulated amount of profit, and thereby locking people into dependence on a service that will invariably cost more than people want to pay with no real way to hope for a better deal.

I think many people would rather hold out baseless hope that suddenly the cost of stringing fiber to every home in America will become so cheap that a dozen companies will all string their own fiber (which is silly given that so much of the upfront cost involved is labor, and labor is really expensive - heck, how many different companies have strung electrical distribution wiring into your community?), and completely ignoring their experiences with subscription video that I outlined earlier in the thread, i.e., even in a competitive marketplace, "pricing always eventually goes back to what is dictated by value-based pricing".

Last edited:
Cable and satellite have much higher hardware costs and armies of techs, so they can’t possibly take on new customers without contracts. I’ll be surprised if they’re still around in 10-20 years, but who knows.
There's really no doubt they'll still be around: Linear television service may ebb and flow, but those companies are still among the best ways to get broadband service. Even Google Fiber hasn't caused the kind of disruption to the broadband market here in Atlanta that some folks were hoping it would.
Fair enough. I didn’t mean the companies, I meant cable and satellite TV as we know it. Dish and Direct TV already provide streaming with Sling TV and Direct TV Now which tells me they know satellite isn’t going to survive.

So now we’re paying $45/mo for PS Vue including all local major networks and PBS Passport will be $5/mo. We have a 28-day cloud DVR that’ll record as many shows as we want, and we can view on up to 5 devices (TV, PC, phone, tablet) simultaneously.
Are you leaving out the internet service cost? Still trying to wrap my mind around this stuff.

Right now we pay Comcast (internet + video) $131/mo which includes ~250 Mbs speeds. Our internet connect costs without the video package would be $80/mo for 150 Mbs, and $65/mo for 60 Mbs. Not many connection options where we live.

I was looking at the Roku Ultra and thought maybe I'd try it. Should try it before our Comcast 1yr contract expires. Not at all familiar with PS Vue.

We generally watch PBS specials like Nova, Masterpiece, etc. Don't watch the old network stuff. Very rarely watch sports except for the upcoming Olympics. No matter what we chose, we'd still want Amazon and Netflix.

Are you leaving out the internet service cost? Still trying to wrap my mind around this stuff.

Right now we pay Comcast (internet + video) $131/mo which includes ~250 Mbs speeds. Our internet connect costs without the video package would be $80/mo for 150 Mbs, and $65/mo for 60 Mbs. Not many connection options where we live.
A fair point, thanks. But we’d have and use an internet connection with or without TV, so it’s not an additional expense for us - unless we find we need a faster internet connection, then we’d add the upcharge for comparison. But I’ve been streaming with my smart TV for a long time without buffering or resolution problems, so I’m not expecting an issue. It’s just DW and I, but faster internet may be needed in households where many people are online at the same time.

For us, there’s no way a faster internet + PS Vue will cost nearly as much as comparable Dish, Direct TV or Comcast cable TV for us - anytime soon at least. Net neutrality or some other development will likely change the landscape again one day...

Last edited:
Midpack thanks.

What is your internet speed if I may ask and is it sufficient for your streaming needs? I'm not sure that I need all that much speed to get decent web and streaming experiences.

Last edited:
Midpack thanks.

What is your internet speed if I may ask and is it sufficient for your streaming needs? I'm not sure that I need all that much speed to get decent web and streaming experiences.
IME 10 Mbps over WiFi is plenty for one stream at 1080p with only occasional buffering or resolution issues, and I’ve read 15 Mbps for two streams. If you want to venture into 4K resolution, you’ll undoubtedly want a more robust connection. And make sure you’re router isn’t a bottleneck, could be if it’s really old. From my experience, I think the quote below is a little strong unless you’re planning to watch 4K.

I haven’t needed to hardwire to get a good connection, but I’m planning to buy one Roku with an Ethernet connection in case. I’ll have a Roku Streaming Stick + and a Roku Ultra, with a cheapo Chromecast in the basement.
TechRadar said:
If you have a slow internet connection – let's say, 5Mbps or less – you can probably expect a lot of hiccups, stuttering and low-resolution video. Stepping up to around 10Mbps will net you a solid connection and will almost guarantee a solid connection, but a lower-than-average resolution.

It's not until you get to the 15-20Mbps range through a wired connection to your router that things really start to look good on PlayStation Vue. If you already have that level of internet service coming into your home, great. Just make sure your PS4 is either in range of the router or you have the ability to hardwire your system.

Last edited:
So it sounds like 60 Mbps might do for our needs. I have a kind of long distance through some walls from the router to the TV. Even with a booster the signal is attenuated quite a bit and I don't know how to estimate the streaming quality with that issue. I guess I'd just have to see it in action.

So it sounds like 60 Mbps might do for our needs. I have a kind of long distance through some walls from the router to the TV. Even with a booster the signal is attenuated quite a bit and I don't know how to estimate the streaming quality with that issue. I guess I'd just have to see it in action.
60 Mbps is more than we have.

You probably know this, but do you have a smart TV now? If you can stream YouTube, Vimeo, or any HD video apps, that should be an indication how streaming TV will perform. Or if you can stream YouTube over WiFi (with cell service off and not hardwired) to a desktop, laptop, smartphone or tablet, that’s another indication.

And there are streaming devices with Ethernet connections if you don’t trust WiFi and you can wire to it, Roku Ultra is just one.

Last edited:
60 Mbps is more than we have.

You probably know this, but do you have a smart TV now? If you can stream YouTube, Vimeo, or any HD video apps, that should be an indication how streaming TV will perform. Or if you can stream YouTube over WiFi (with cell service off and not hardwired) to a desktop, laptop, smartphone or tablet, that’s another indication.

And there are streaming devices with Ethernet connections if you don’t trust WiFi and you can wire to it, Roku Ultra is just one.

The TV is just a dumb plasma unit. But we do stream Amazon via a Sony Blueray DVD player. Generally it is OK. We watch Netflix now via the Comcast cable which seems to be more reliable. I would guess that a Roku Ultra would have as good or better streaming reception then the DVD.

I could buy a Roku Ultra from Amazon and have a month to test it out before the Comcast contract expires. If it isn't good enough for us, can always default back to Comcast.

If you buy the Roku or Fire TV, use PlutoTV to test. Free cable with a quirky set of movies and channels. Completely free and has some interesting content.

If you have Netflix, you can test with that. Netflix has a setting for each profile (on your pc) that lets you step down the stream bandwidth. I have ours down one notch so we don't use Super HD. Still looks good. Just not going all in to use every bit of download speed.

If you have Netflix, you can test with that. Netflix has a setting for each profile (on your pc) that lets you step down the stream bandwidth. I have ours down one notch so we don't use Super HD. Still looks good. Just not going all in to use every bit of download speed.

Cool, it's at the bottom of the Account page. Was set to Auto and I'll leave it there for now.

YoutubeTV is going up to $40 on 3/12/18. They added a bunch of channels and put the price up. Those who sign up before 3/12 will lock in the $35 rate.

I did the 30 day trial and liked it. It is almost a cable replacement with a DVR capability. Dropped it due to price. But with the added channels @ $35 it is not a bad deal.

I bought the Roku streaming stick and it did not disappoint as it has excellent wifi reception for our signal which goes through a few walls to reach the living room from the router location. But I'm disappointed in the PBS app and even with Passport apparently does not offer same day early evening news. I imagine that will change. I'll keep the Roku because it does Neflix and Amazon better then the Comcast X1 box.

Comcast has (for the moment) changed its offerings in our area. Now I can get a high speed connection for $82/mo if you own your own modem. Or for $130 I can get basic cable with an X1 box on a month to month basis for the next year. I'll stick with cable for the present.

I bought the Roku streaming stick and it did not disappoint as it has excellent wifi reception for our signal which goes through a few walls to reach the living room from the router location. But I'm disappointed in the PBS app and even with Passport apparently does not offer same day early evening news. I imagine that will change. I'll keep the Roku because it does Neflix and Amazon better then the Comcast X1 box.

Comcast has (for the moment) changed its offerings in our area. Now I can get a high speed connection for $82/mo if you own your own modem. Or for $130 I can get basic cable with an X1 box on a month to month basis for the next year. I'll stick with cable for the present.

You can download the Xfinity stream app on your Roku and use your Comcast credentials to activate it. I am assuming that you are talking about two different TVs - one with Comcast cable and one with a Roku stick. You can also download the individual channel TV everywhere apps and activate them with your Comcast credentials.

But I'm disappointed in the PBS app and even with Passport apparently does not offer same day early evening news. I imagine that will change. I'll keep the Roku because it does Neflix and Amazon better then the Comcast X1 box.

We get PBS Newshour sometime after 9pm same day. I usually watch at 10pm and it’s always been there to view.

We also use Comcast, but we pay $50/mo for 25 Mbps which has been perfectly adequate for us. We’ve had both TV’s going and with both iPads occasionally without issue. We can bump it up to 100 Mbps for only $5/mo more - so we’ll add that if necessary.

We’re saving almost $50/mo or $600/yr vs Dish, love it. Even DW has come around...

Last edited:
I find that between FREE OTA TV and a Tivo (yes, I realize a lot of people don't live close enough to the broadcast towers to get a good signal), Netflix, Amazon Prime video and DVD's from the public library, I have more stuff to watch that I have time for.

Paying $20-$40 a month for another subscription is not in the cards for me. To each his own, YMMV.

Here is our cord cutting update:

We cancelled our Dish account, which was about to rise to ~$140/month. We switched to PS Vue and Netflix and we already had Amazon Prime. We are not able to get local channels via PS Vue at our location so I mounted an antenna in the attic and bought a Tablo 4 tuner DVR attached to a 4TB drive. I was skeptical going in but I have been very impressed with how well it works.

We are using Fire TV on the main TV and have Fire sticks on the other TVs.

Our current costs are: $45/mth (PSV), $12/mth (Netflix). And of course, Amazon Prime at $99/yr. We did have initial hardware costs for the Tablo and the 3 sticks but the payback period is less than a year.

We have so many viewing choices now that it's crazy. DW is still learning to navigate things with the new setup but as Midpack said, "she's coming around".

We get PBS Newshour sometime after 9pm same day. I usually watch at 10pm and it’s always been there to view...

Same here. I'm not exactly sure when it's made available on the PBS app, but we watch it at 10pm every night and it's always there.

...We cancelled our Dish account, which was about to rise to ~$140/month. We switched to PS Vue and Netflix and we already had Amazon Prime. We are not able to get local channels via PS Vue at our location so I mounted an antenna in the attic and bought a Tablo 4 tuner DVR attached to a 4TB drive. I was skeptical going in but I have been very impressed with how well it works.

We are using Fire TV on the main TV and have Fire sticks on the other TVs.

Our current costs are: $45/mth (PSV), $12/mth (Netflix). And of course, Amazon Prime at $99/yr. We did have initial hardware costs for the Tablo and the 3 sticks but the payback period is less than a year.

We have so many viewing choices now that it's crazy. DW is still learning to navigate things with the new setup but as Midpack said, "she's coming around".

We have same setup except we get all the locals via PSV. So no antenna, DVR, etc. My only complaint about PSV is no 5.1 surround sound and the HD is 720P. So with your antenna, you probably get full 1080P and 5.1 surround sound. I'd use an antenna as well but we are too far away.

Our internet is Frontier FiOS 50/50 for $54/mo. We love the Fire TV platform especially the tight integration with PSV and Netflix... and obviously Prime. We also use an Amazon Echo for voice control of almost everything, including volume control of our AVR.

We get PBS Newshour sometime after 9pm same day. I usually watch at 10pm and it’s always been there to view.

I guess this just shows how we all have different needs. We're generally just going to bed at 10pm. Early risers.

I guess this just shows how we all have different needs. We're generally just going to bed at 10pm. Early risers.
Don’t know when you go to bed or which time zone, but it was there at 9p CST the one time I looked and watched then. I will admit it was nice to see PBS Newshour at 6p, but I can set up our OTA if we really want that. I’m still hoping and expecting PBS will appear on PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu Live, YouTube TV, Sling or another streaming package eventually. It’s not as easy as cable channels, but it should be lot like negotiating for live local majors like CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc. - and those are now becoming available to more areas faster and faster.

Last edited:
My only complaint about PSV is no 5.1 surround sound and the HD is 720P.

Ouch... that seems like a deal breaker for me. I had been thinking of giving PSVue a try, but if they don't even have 5.1 surround and 1080i, that's a major problem. Seems like there still isn't a "good enough" TV streaming service that checks all the key boxes on my list. Of the ones I've looked into recently, probably YouTube TV comes the closest, although apparently it also lacks 5.1 audio support. :(

Don’t know when you go to bed or which time zone, but it was there at 9p CST the one time I looked and watched then. I will admit it was nice to see PBS Newshour at 6p, but I can set up our OTA if we really want that. I’m still hoping and expecting PBS will appear on PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu Live, YouTube TV, Sling or another streaming package eventually. It’s not as easy as cable channels, but it should be lot like negotiating for live local majors like CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc. - and those are now becoming available to more areas faster and faster.

We are in PST timezone and can get the PBS news before 6pm PST.

My guess is that all this stuff is converging on a better solution for the customer. As time goes on I may go with just streaming from Comcast (our only real choice in this area besides Dish).

I'm not going to go through too many hoops to optimize this situation. But I do get the best Comcast price by talking with the right reps.

We are in PST timezone and can get the PBS news before 6pm PST.
You do go to sleep early. From my experience you’d have the PBS Newshour at 7-8p PST thru Passport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom