Join Early Retirement Today

Valuing pension for a divorce
Old 05-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Valuing pension for a divorce

i am in the middle of a divorce and wondered if anyone can tell me how to figure out the value of my pension. My soon to be ex-husband is entitled to 1/4 of it but i'm at a loss on how to figure out what that would be.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Valuing pension for a divorce
Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are specialized services that do this (for a fee). Poke around on the web and I am sure you will find them.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would think your benefits department could give you that information since they will have to calculated it for the QDRO for the court. (Qualified Domestic Relations Order). Been there done that and have the scars to prove it.

Your 401k is also on the table as are stock options and any other financial "benefits" which have a defined value in current dollars.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #4

In my divorce and in my state, if you and your STBX and the associated attorneys could agree on a split of the finances, then the court would pretty much go along with it.

So one approach would be to contact the pension folks and ask them what the lump sum value is today, then see if your STBX would accept transferring 1/4 of that lump sum amount to him.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The calculations aren't that difficult; it's the assumptions involved. It would be a quarter of the net present value of a future life annuity discounted to the present day. The discount rate used and age to retirement are important. The amount which you would currently be credited with rather than the amount you would eventually be entitled to. The start date and life expectancy would set the duration.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #6

Another thing that would affect it would be the pension choice she makes. I had a pension once that gave me a choice of a single life annuity or a couple of joint life annuities with the payout equal to 100% or 50% of the initial amount once the first person died. I dunno if the OP has such a choice, but I know that when I was valuing my pension this decision made a difference in the NPV.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to work for pension actuaries, and they were hired by divorce lawyers to work out the value of the pensions. This was back when the earth was cooling and I was still young, so I'll report just what I remember...

They just used the formula that the pension itself used -- years of services x last three year's salary, or whatever. They usually ran a variety of calculations using various assumptions, as SecondCor521 points out -- full joint and survivor, half joint and survivor, etc. along with various assumptions as to how long you'd work -- 55, 60, 65, etc.

Then the lawyers argued about what number to use, and how it weighed against other factors (the house, the car, yada yada.)

One note -- I have a friend at work here who divorced recently. She traded away the house to her husband so that she could keep full rights to her pension once she retired. What did our Megacorp employer do this year? Tell us that at the end of 2007 they'd stop making contributions to the pension. She's not happy. So whatever the actuaries decide, it seems that you'll want to make your own calculation as to how likely the pension is to grow as you expect it to.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #8

My divorce was a little more congenial - no lawyers involved.
I assigned values to everything, she chose half based on
the assigned values. It semed fair to both of us.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #9

I would think you could get a pretty good estimate by pricing an equivalent annuity. You can find several at:
http://www.golio.net/My_Homepage_Files/Page13.html

under Section 5.4.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor
Ditto, you'll save THOUSANDS of dollars in lawyer fees. Lawyers, being slimy scum
sucking maggots will try to convince each of you it's in your best interest to fight
to the death. Tried to avoid the lawyers, otherwise you can easily blow 50K before
you know it.
Assuming no kids, just sit down, add it all up, divide by 2, try to not dip into the
retirement accounts (sell stocks!!! especially now!, sell house or take a 2nd mortgage),
but leave the 401k/IRAs alone if you can. Also, whatever you brought into the marriage
should be off the table.
good luck,
TJ
Old 05-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor
That is a great way to do it. It is kind of like the sharing deal with kids - kid one cuts the cake, kid two chooses the slice.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Please see my PM. Potential value of pensions can be huge and writing an accurate QDRO ensures that you make the agreement you intended to make.

I agree with comments to limit input from attorneys - they have an inherent conflict of interest. That said, a good attorney can save you from making a technical error that will cost you in the long run.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

See your human relations office: in my DH situation with his ex, it was a straightforward math problem: take retirement formula as if retired that day and prorate half based on years married.

I was able to figure this, took me 10 minutes, but the court required an attorney to do it - he charged $400+ and we were within $1-$2 of each other.

I suppose if DH had had other assets he could have bought her out, but that was not the case. So, she will get a portion of his retirement when he retires.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Teejayevans said: "Ditto, you'll save THOUSANDS of dollars in lawyer fees. Lawyers, being slimy scum
sucking maggots will try to convince each of you it's in your best interest to fight
to the death. Tried to avoid the lawyers, otherwise you can easily blow 50K before
you know it."

And what is your honorable profession, my man?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownds
i am in the middle of a divorce and wondered if anyone can tell me how to figure out the value of my pension. My soon to be ex-husband is entitled to 1/4 of it but i'm at a loss on how to figure out what that would be.
Ouch

he wants that 1/4??

What a jerk!

Hey it didn't workout sorry but I would never want or take any of my wifes pension if I happened to break up.

Ya know what I mean.?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Ouch

he wants that 1/4??

What a jerk!

Hey it didn't workout sorry but I would never want or take any of my wifes pension if I happened to break up.

Ya know what I mean.?
In my state, a 50/50 division of marital property is considered de facto (<-not quite the right legal term) fair. If any part of the pension was earned during the marriage, it would be considered marital property and thus subject to division.

Two things confuse me about the OP, though. Why only 1/4 and not 1/2? And what does she mean by "entitled"?

2Cor521
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #17

How do the actuaries and laywers account for years of service in the pension as that's critical to
calculating the pension. Do they just say the spouse gets a certain fraction at retirement, I can see that as being an issue in acrimonious divorces where people just want to cut off all contact.

I was lucky in my divorce, we split all liquid assets 50/50, house proceeds, after tax stuff and flipped a coin to see who got first choice of houshold goods. I represented my self, she had a lawyer to file the paperwork, but we wrote our own separation agreement. She didn't want any of the pensions or 401ks, I told her to think long about that and to talk to her lawyer, she just didn't want the bother....I was 36 and she was 30 so maybe retirement seemed a ways off. Anyway 10 years later its almost enough for me to retire on now.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by none
How do the actuaries and laywers account for years of service in the pension as that's critical to
calculating the pension. Do they just say the spouse gets a certain fraction at retirement, I can see that as being an issue in acrimonious divorces where people just want to cut off all contact.
I think normally they calculate a lump sum value at the time of the divorce, so any increase in pension value due to years of service that occur after the divorce would only accrue to the pension holder and not the ex-spouse.

The spouse only gets 1/2 of that lump sum value (either from the pension itself or from other offsetting assets) at the time of the divorce, not 1/2 of the future pension benefits.

Of course people can write up any separation agreement they want, so they could entangle themselves that way if they wanted. I personally wouldn't. I know someone getting divorced now who is heading towards owning rental vacation property along with the ex-spouse-to-be, and is adding in all sorts of clauses about what happens if one wants to sell, or if one dies, and who gets to vacation there when, and so forth. I think it's going to be a nightmare personally.

2Cor521
Old 05-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521

Of course people can write up any separation agreement they want, so they could entangle themselves that way if they wanted. I personally wouldn't. I know someone getting divorced now who is heading towards owning rental vacation property along with the ex-spouse-to-be, and is adding in all sorts of clauses about what happens if one wants to sell, or if one dies, and who gets to vacation there when, and so forth. I think it's going to be a nightmare personally.

2Cor521
Agreed, I carn't imagine sharing a vacation home after a divorce, but as the Ben Stein thread implies the vacation home is now a necessity so maybe some folks just carn't give it up :-).

Now you mention it, its obvious that the pension would be valued at the time of the divorce and I assume its value
is accounted for in one spouse getting a greater portion of things like 401ks and house proceeds.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

if i were eligible to retire today, i would get about 1500 a month. A quarter of that is $375.

What would I multiply that 375 by? The number of months we were married or try to figure out how many years i would live until?

that is what is confusing me.