Vanguard and upcoming divis/interest

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Maybe someone can help on this.

I almost always go online to look at my Vanguard holdings.... well, I had a problem with a partial redemption where it appears that the money was not swept into my settlement account... they do not have a separate view of all activity in this account that I can find....

SO, I decided to take a look at a PDF of my paper stmt and what do I see? A listing of upcoming dividends/interest on my stock holding!!! Yep, a list of what I can expect to get... I did not look at how far in advance it was, but suspect it was a month...

I cannot find on the website this info.... I would love to be able to see this.. I do remember when I had a TD account there was a screen that estimated your annual income on what you owned but have never seen anything like this at Vanguard...

Does anybody know if they have this info on display? And if so, how do I get there?

On the Balances and Holdings page, go to your brokerage account and click on the Transaction history tab and select the settlement fund in the holdings box.

On the Balances and Holdings page, go to your brokerage account and click on the Transaction history tab and select the settlement fund in the holdings box.

Thanks for that...

That helps on my first problem, but still does not tell me what I can expect to get in the next month or more...

I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

I noticed the look ahead for the first time in this statement..but it only seemed to be those that had announced. So August statement would show any that had ex-Dividend dates in August, thus paying out in Sept, but not those in late Sept where the ex-Dividend date may be Sept 1st or after.

The projected dividends on vanguard funds has been showing up for maybe a year on statements but not seen elsewhere.

As for the settlement funds, I know vanguard funds have 3 different dates. ie day 1 the share price drops, day two it is distributed, day 3 it is paid out. I can't find the page on Vanguard I saw that but noticed when looking up last week the Wellington ex dividend dates they had the 3 dates listed and looked like cash payout took an extra day.

OK, I had a brain fart....

For some reason I did not notice they had combined the money I was looking for with something else and moved it... and I remember seeing that entry and adding them together but I guess I did not associate it with the transaction when I went back to look...

Good news is Vanguard called me to 'explain' it to me :facepalm:

As for the look ahead... I think it was TD, but could have been ETrade.... they would give an annual estimate of stock dividends based on prior ones... so IOW, if you owned XOM they would show 4 divis for the next 12 months at the same rate as the current one... I have no idea if they did anything with funds as I never owned funds in that account...

AFAIK, Fido has projected stock dividend income per month on the monthly statement only which is linked from account webpage. I think that's the same as you described for VG so I guess I don't feel any need to have it in two places. The local broker I use for muni bonds does show projected income on the web account summary.

AFAIK, Fido has projected stock dividend income per month on the monthly statement only which is linked from account webpage. I think that's the same as you described for VG so I guess I don't feel any need to have it in two places. The local broker I use for muni bonds does show projected income on the web account summary.

Well, when you never look at your paper stmt you do not know it was there...

BTW, I would think they would have stuff on the website that is not on the paper stmts... and this should be easy to provide...

Now, I can see the downside if you have most of your money in MF... there is no way to estimate so it is kinda worthless for that...

Yeah, I really don't look at em either but I did notice the handy income projection last time I looked
It's the one place to see dividend payment cycle for all my stocks without looking them up individually.

Dividends, reflections from more of a mutual fund perspective

After reading this thread this morning, I went to my Vanguard account (all mutual funds), and was thrilled to see that several of my funds had shed quarterly dividends in the past 2-3 days. Well, I knew they would but it was sooooo nice to record them and see how much my money market account has grown. I don't think of my dividends as actually being real, until they hit my money market account, KWIM?

In my case, I don't really need to know how much my dividends are in advance in order to decide how much I will spend, because I withdraw my year's spending money in January.

Last edited:
After reading this thread this morning, I went to my Vanguard account (all mutual funds), and was thrilled to see that several of my funds had shed quarterly dividends in the past 2-3 days. Well, I knew they would but it was sooooo nice to record them and see how much my money market account has grown. I don't think of my dividends as actually being real, until they hit my money market account, KWIM?

In my case, I don't really need to know how much my dividends are in advance in order to decide how much I will spend, because I withdraw my year's spending money in January.

I actually changed mine so it hits my bank account... they used to go into my ST bond fund but I kept selling from there and getting wash sales all the time... now that I have all divis go to the bank that has stopped..

I really do not care.... was just wondering why something is on the paper and not on the website...

I actually changed mine so it hits my bank account... they used to go into my ST bond fund but I kept selling from there and getting wash sales all the time... now that I have all divis go to the bank that has stopped..

I really do not care.... was just wondering why something is on the paper and not on the website...

It is also on statements downloaded from vanguard at the end of the month, look for the statements tabs and you can download the statements.

Now, I can see the downside if you have most of your money in MF... there is no way to estimate so it is kinda worthless for that...
It is pretty easy to estimate mutual fund dividends for me. I can either run a report of what I got the previous year, or I can look at this Distributions tab and calculate what I got in the past and extrapolate to this year.

BTW, that is all that those brokerage statements do anyways: They show estimated annual income based on past dividend payouts and current declared dividends. For instance, online at WellsTrade, I can show all my accounts and a column titled "Estimated Annual Income" and see the total for all accounts or any breakdown that I want down to the actual purchase lot level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom