Vanguard deal on Turbo Tax 2013 now available

DW has some Schedule C stuff and I've used Delux for that. But I'd check what TT says about this. On there site they probably have a comparative chart that shows what you get with each version.

I went there a few minutes ago and TT tries to push you into Home and Business with a sole proprietorship. When I had my S Corp, I needed that version, but now I only will see Schedule C (for the first time). I was hoping some folks here have prior C experience on a version less than Home or Business.

I was hoping some folks here have prior C experience on a version less than Home or Business.

Certainly!
I've done my C (sole proprietor) for years using Deluxe. No problem at all. When TT tells you to use a higher priced version, it normally just means the more expensive one has more hand-holding.

Thanks for the heads up! I just downloded the discounted TT 2013 through Vanguard and found out that I need to send an extra $30K to the Feds. :nonono:

Ouch! What went wrong? I use a dummy return of 2013 using the 212 version of TT until the 2013 version came out and my numbers were very close.

Ouch! What went wrong? I use a dummy return of 2013 using the 212 version of TT until the 2013 version came out and my numbers were very close.

+1

The 2013 version does have accurate tax brackets so I will be converting some more tIRA to ROTH to fill up the bracket, as soon as Wellesley spits out the final dividends and Cap Gains.

It looks like a combination of factors. Slight under-withholding on DW's regular paychecks (engineered that way), better than expected year for passive income (especially in the last quarter), and a late year unexpected bonus for DW that was withheld by payroll at 25% while we are in the 39.6% FIT bracket. Plus we are now in ATM territory thanks to our large California income tax liability this year (2013 is our first full year in CA. We never had to pay the AMT when we lived in a low tax state in the south).

This is just for the online version, correct?

Am I the only one that would have major reservations about inputting personal data and my SSN 's online that are kept on a server somewhere in cyberspace?

This is just for the online version, correct?

Am I the only one that would have major reservations about inputting personal data and my SSN 's online that are kept on a server somewhere in cyberspace?
You can download the desktop version for free or use the online version for free. I choose the desktop version, partly for the reason you state. Also I help my son with his taxes and we use the same desktop version for that as well. And this year there's the difference on schedule D in the deluxe version, where it's included in the desktop version but not online.

You can download the desktop version for free or use the online version for free. I choose the desktop version, partly for the reason you state. Also I help my son with his taxes and we use the same desktop version for that as well. And this year there's the difference on schedule D in the deluxe version, where it's included in the desktop version but not online.

+1

My son comes round and uses it for his return as well.

So if I understand you , there's a desktop version that you download onto your PC and run totally on your local drive and its also free for Vanguard account owners?

So if I understand you , there's a desktop version that you download onto your PC and run totally on your local drive and its also free for Vanguard account owners?

Correct. See the posts above in this thread to see where to find the link for the desktop version.

It is free only if you are Flagship or higher....

Free for Flagship and Asset Management clients. Discounted for other clients, but I'm not sure whether you can get a better deal elsewhere.

I'm really annoyed with Turbotax about the online versions being chopped down to near useless. I have always done mine online assuming that if I have a program on my computer that gets downloads it is subject to hacking just like the online version. I guess I just upgrade to the premier edition-no biggie. Bad marketing on their part..they should have dropped the deluxe name for online.

For those of us with the bulk of our money not at Vanguard... and who want/need premiere

I compared the non-flagship discounts to Costco and to turbotax.com.
Costco has the best price, followed by Vanguard. Buying direct from TT was the most expensive.

For those of us with the bulk of our money not at Vanguard... and who want/need premiere

I compared the non-flagship discounts to Costco and to turbotax.com.
Costco has the best price, followed by Vanguard. Buying direct from TT was the most expensive.

I always purchase from amazon.com. I haven't checked with Costco yet, so thanks!

Last time I looked, Costco and Amazon had the same price, and Amazon offered free shipping.

For non-Flagship, the Vanguard price is not the cheapest. If I understand the Amazon deal, if you buy TT from Amazon, you can apply some of your federal refund to an Amazon gift card and they will add an extra 10%. Normally, I try and have a zero dollar refund, but this year, because of things beyond my control, I may have a pretty hefty refund. So, if I apply $1,000 to this, I will get an extra $100. I am not so good at shopping and understanding deals. Can y'all (or youse guys) see if I have it right?

For non-Flagship, the Vanguard price is not the cheapest. If I understand the Amazon deal, if you buy TT from Amazon, you can apply some of your federal refund to an Amazon gift card and they will add an extra 10%. Normally, I try and have a zero dollar refund, but this year, because of things beyond my control, I may have a pretty hefty refund. So, if I apply $1,000 to this, I will get an extra $100. I am not so good at shopping and understanding deals. Can y'all (or youse guys) see if I have it right?

Amazon and Costco have the same price.
But Amazon has the deal where they'll "up" the refund by 10% if you apply your refund (or part of a refund) to an amazon card. So it limits what you can do with the money (has to be spent at Amazon) - but if you shop at amazon a lot it's a good deal.

I'll probably owe, so the deal won't do much for me.

Amazon doesn't cost any gas money or wear and tear on your car or require you to stand in lines.

I'm not a big shopper and really did not enjoy the Costco experience. I was frustrated by the need to buy more to save as Costco seems to push this model. But for a big family maybe it works out well.

I just compared the TurboTax Vanguard deal to Costco's price, Costco was cheaper .. "hands down" particularly when you need file a state return like I do.

How do they do it?
Volume!
:LOL:

Brings back memories of working in pricing. Nothing was considered funnier than the sales folks arguing to sell a product at a loss, always saying "We'll make it up on volume". One pricing manager took that and made it into a wall plaque, then painted a giant red "X" across it.

:LOL:

Brings back memories of working in pricing. Nothing was considered funnier than the sales folks arguing to sell a product at a loss...........

Yes, it does bring back memories...we used to do this with copper water tube when I worked in the metals manufacturing business.....all those plants are closed now.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom