Vanguard download to Quicken-update required!

THANKS for the fix! I noticed this problem as well!

It's strange that they didn't send us something directly about this, but perhaps electronic banking is just not that popular yet. (Or perhaps they were just figuring that we'd see the warning pop up in Quicken.)

Last edited:
As an FYI if the instructions don't work out, didn't for me and seem like on the quicken forums people were having issues this is what i tried and seemed to work.

Here is what worked for me in Quicken 2014 for Windows.

1) In each of the Vanguard accounts in Quicken , I right-clicked, Edit / Online services, and clicked "Deactivate"
2) In one Vanguard account in Quicken, I right-clicked, Edit / General and typed "Vanguard" under "Financial Institution"
3) In that same account, went to Edit / Online services, and clicked "Activate"
4) The institution list will pop up and you will see 'most common' initial list. The zzz-vanguard will show up along side handful of other institutions. Type in 'Vanguard' in the search institution line, Vanguard will show up w/o the zzz- prefix. Click and enter user name password. You will need to re-link your account(s).

I was able to figure out which was which by logging in to vanguard.com, click "My accounts", then "Balances and holdings" and looking at the last 4 digits of each account number.

We will see tomorrow if this temporary fix hold up.

It worked for me.

But it seems like every six months, I have to fix something wrong with the vanguard update - the last one was the 301 error (or something close to that). I hope they've fixed all their issues this time.

Have had this problem with Quicken on a Wells Fargo and Fidelity account in the past. Go to accounts, click on the one that is not working, click on online services, deactivate the account and then reactivate it. Fixes it every time.

I just KNEW I'd come here and find a thread about this. I got an email about it while I was at w*rk today. I printed off all 9 pages, followed the instructions and it isn't working for me. I think I'll go get a beer and try again later. :)

As a last resort, I followed the instructions:). Initially, I did not notice that they had changed from zzz-vanguard to Vanguard. This appears to me to be the only change.

When in doubt, shut down the program, and try again. It worked this time.

As an FYI if the instructions don't work out, didn't for me and seem like on the quicken forums people were having issues this is what i tried and seemed to work.

Here is what worked for me in Quicken 2014 for Windows.

1) In each of the Vanguard accounts in Quicken , I right-clicked, Edit / Online services, and clicked "Deactivate"
2) In one Vanguard account in Quicken, I right-clicked, Edit / General and typed "Vanguard" under "Financial Institution"
3) In that same account, went to Edit / Online services, and clicked "Activate"
4) The institution list will pop up and you will see 'most common' initial list. The zzz-vanguard will show up along side handful of other institutions. Type in 'Vanguard' in the search institution line, Vanguard will show up w/o the zzz- prefix. Click and enter user name password. You will need to re-link your account(s).

I was able to figure out which was which by logging in to vanguard.com, click "My accounts", then "Balances and holdings" and looking at the last 4 digits of each account number.

We will see tomorrow if this temporary fix hold up.

I haven't fixed it yet but the wonderful instructions from Vanguard didn't include changing from zzz-vanguard back to vanguard. When I tried to fix it, I repeatedly got a screen that said something failed but it wasn't my fault. I thought that it may have just been an overloaded system. When I get home I'll see if this fixes it.

When in doubt, shut down the program, and try again. It worked this time.

Vanguard's systems may have been overwhelmed yesterday. It did not work for me the first time either, but did on my second attempt about an hour later.

Back
Top Bottom