Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
.... I think it's time for me to get on board with Vanguard's 2-factor authentication. I have held off in the past.... I'd hate to have my Vanguard account hacked, only to realize that 2-factor authentication could have saved me.
I just did this for all my accounts (mine, DW and Mom). I set it up so it recognizes the computer I usually use. I was concerned that if I did the every time I log on thing and lost my cellphone that I would have a problem that I didn't want logging on.

So in order to access my accounts a scoundrel would need to steal/access my personal computer, know my Windows password, know my Vanguard user id and my Vanguard password.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Same thing happened to me, I have access to DWs account, my account and a joint holding at VG. I was logged in in her system and was adding $ to our joint account and posed a question to VG which sent them all off in a tizzy. and here I was ADDING to our JOINT account. VG Sent out a letter saying to not let anyone have access to her account, geeez, I wish I could get her to manage her account.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
None of these fund or brokerage companies want to see their name in the WSJ saying "they lost my retirement money".
I'd much rather get the privacy notice than the one the Anthem Health Care customers are getting today.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #44

Of course it is recommended to always use your own login. If you can't perform a transaction, then you need to get the appropriate access level. Impersonating another online, especially in a financial transaction could turn into an embarrassing situation.

But, for argument, let's say your spouse logged in, and you both were putting together a question for spouse account. He/She had to get up and answer a call, and on the way out said, "Ok, just send the message it is good to go." So you absent-mindlessly typed your name at the bottom and hit SEND. There was no intent on your part to deceive, was there?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Of course it is recommended to always use your own login. If you can't perform a transaction, then you need to get the appropriate access level. Impersonating another online, especially in a financial transaction could turn into an embarrassing situation.
Of course you're referring to circumstances unlike the OP.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'd much rather get the privacy notice than the one the Anthem Health Care customers are getting today.
Yeah, one security guy was asleep in the server room...

According to Joe, they got his stuff too, so he is hurting just like us.

http://www.anthemfacts.com/
Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was speaking in a general way not specifically applicable to any one internet personality. Sorta.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Took me a minute to see your point.
It would be uncomfortable for me, to receive warning as you did, very naturally embarrassing for many. If it was a different kind of use of someone's id, embarrassment wouldn't describe what would happen next, at least for me. I just don't look good in orange. probably the least of my worries).

I know you understand that they're just doing standard security checks and double dog sure-ing. They don't want to pay out against the written gaurentee. Publicity, no thanks.

This is the first thead I rember where a poster saw firsthand what goes on in these companies for fraud, er frog detection. Thanks again Midpack
Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
so do I since my DW is pretty clueless when it comes to investments. And when I try to do a little bit of education, her eyes become glazed in about 3 minutes.
Are we married to the same woman?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #50

Couple of ideas:

I really recommend POA for accounts you want to manage on behalf of someone else. Most financial institutions prefer their own paperwork for this (Schwab definitely). Easier to do than the formal state kind, too.

I am an authorized agent on a student loan for a friend. It was also easy to set up, but there are a handful of things they want to talk to him about, and he has to sign any forms that they require. This can be an easier way to monitor stuff and be able to talk to them about the account.

Other than that, electronic communications have made it easier than ever to handle this stuff, and I can understand why you'd want all the correspondence going to one email address. But, just today I had our service team at Schwab question an email address for a married client, as it was her account and his work email. They wanted it changed to one that was only hers. This is new to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Took me a minute to see your point.
It would be uncomfortable for me, to receive warning as you did, very naturally embarrassing for many. If it was a different kind of use of someone's id, embarrassment wouldn't describe what would happen next, at least for me. I just don't look good in orange. probably the least of my worries).

I know you understand that they're just doing standard security checks and double dog sure-ing. They don't want to pay out against the written gaurentee. Publicity, no thanks.

This is the first thead I rember where a poster saw firsthand what goes on in these companies for fraud, er frog detection. Thanks again Midpack
Orange is the new black, you had to be there.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
just today I had our service team at Schwab question an email address for a married client, as it was her account and his work email. They wanted it changed to one that was only hers. This is new to me.
We actually set up a group email address where any email sent to it get forwarded to both our email accounts.

It slightly annoys my DW but every time I touch her accounts (or mine for that matter) I always mention it to her. She doesn't pay much attention, but does appreciate the heads up.

I don't know if it's typical, but she handles all the short term money - bill paying and such - and I handle all the long term money.

Works for us.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #53

mp, I'd say your money handling is typical in many families. I handle all of it in my house, but that's the intersection of interest and aptitude. At least I don't have to work on the car!
Clever idea on the group email, though. And good to keep your DW in the loop. I try to remember to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
It slightly annoys my DW but every time I touch her accounts (or mine for that matter) I always mention it to her. She doesn't pay much attention, but does appreciate the heads up.

I don't know if it's typical, but she handles all the short term money - bill paying and such - and I handle all the long term money.

Works for us.
+1, exact same arrangements & sentiments in our house.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote