Variable Annuity, Has anyone purchased and why?

True, and neither strategy resulted in a successful defense of an indefensible product. (Note we are referring to the many pseudonyms for variable annuities here, not about SPIA's.)
I agree that the VA type products are indefensible.

I personally would not take money and buy a SPIA especially at the current interest rates. When I've looked at them, the payout seems to be based on the purchaser living around 5 to 10 years longer than their mortality table predicts (mean). I did have a small pension offer to cash-out with a lump sum. I didn't take the cash because if I went to Vanguard for pricing the lump sum would only buy about 2/3 of my pension.

Second, these annuity sales people are likely prepared with all sorts of round-a-bout answers. What's the point? And if he/she delivers a superior product (note I said "IF"!), then he//she deserves a great commission.
As we all know that in the world of financial products the superior products are only those with very small or non-existent commissions.

Go to page 10 of the prospectus ( http://www.annuities.prudential.com...ruannuities_investor/ppr_pros_2.pdf?siteID=25 ).
Have a look at expense examples for L class.
If you invested $10000 with them, they will have $6374 of it at 10 years mark, regardless if you surrender or annuitize it.
Do you still think this it's a good deal for you? (Hint: it's a great deal for the salesman and insurance company)

Over 10 years at 5%, $10k compounds to $16.3k, if you pay $6374 in expenses your return is zero. If you bought an index mutual fund with an ER = 0.1% instead your annual return would be 4.9% and you'd end up with $16.1k. That's a lot to pay for "guaranteed income".

The only VA I'd ever consider (I actually have some) are those from TIAA-CREF, they are part of university retirement schemes. Some have ER's of 0.4%, but I also have a chunk of money in TIAA-Traditional which is a deferred annuity currently paying 4.38% interest with a minimum guarantee of 3%. The fees are never quoted as I presume they are taken out prior to declaring the interest rate.

Last edited:
Over 10 years at 5%, $10k compounds to $16.3k, if you pay $6374 in expenses your return is zero. If you bought an index mutual fund with an ER = 0.1% instead your annual return would be 4.9% and you'd end up with $16.1k. That's a lot to pay for "guaranteed income".

The only VA I'd ever consider (I actually have some) are those from TIAA-CREF, they are part of university retirement schemes. Some have ER's of 0.4%, but I also have a chunk of money in TIAA-Traditional which is a deferred annuity currently paying 4.38% interest with a minimum guarantee of 3%. The fees are never quoted as I presume they are taken out prior to declaring the interest rate.

Nun-As I recall, your AA and investing approach are relatively conservative, which, I presume, is the reason you own annuities. Without revealing any private details, I'd like to know what annuities you purchased, why you purchased them, if they're performing the function intended, and if you'd make the same decision in today's low rate environment. Thx.

Last edited:
Please Listen to Running Bum

Watch out for high fees, and return of capital masked as part of the annual return rate.

How about a Target Retirement Fund from a low cost company like Vanguard or Fidelity? You could just invest and forget. Or even a simple mix of a total stock market, total international, and total bond fund should take very little of your time to manage and can be done anywhere you have internet access. Rebalance once a year or even less often.

It only took me about 20 years to learn what he is telling you in just one post.

The short version of my story: back in the '90's I was so busy teaching, doing all the extra-curriculars teachers are asked to do, child-rearing, and then planning a move to Ohio with my husband, that I had little time to figure out that a variable annuity was not serving my future interests. However, I did want to shelter income in a 403B, and VA's were all that were available through my school district.

After we moved, and I had time to learn more, I wanted to move that 403b money into investments with lower fees. Nope, couldn't do that, unless I wanted to pay 7% in surrender charges. So, trying to make the best of the situation, I spent the next 7 years managing the sub accounts to make as much profit as possible. But never could figure out why those fees were higher than what I would have been charged at places like Fidelity or Vanguard. Through Scott Burns and various investment writers, the high cost of insurance products became obvious. When my 7 years were up, I was able to roll that $ over into IRAs that have performed much better.

Now, my sister-in-law is in a VA of the type the OP describes. After poring through the half-pound book provided by that insurance company, she and I can see that she's paying about 2% a year just to keep her $ there, PLUS an additional average of about 1.5% on each of her sub accounts. She's making very little $ on this venture; plus, when she signed up, the insurance agent said nothing about a 7% surrender charge. (She didn't ask.) When I asked her about it, we again dug through that half-pound book: yup, there it was. It would cost her 7% to change her mind and get out of this product.

It would have been nice if I could have "gotten to her" before she made this decision..........but she was in the middle of family crises my husband and I were trying to help her with. Her financial challenges had been on the sidelines when she trusted an insurance agent with her fears about her future. I wish I could have saved her the high cost of that VA.

:(

......... It would cost her 7% to change her mind and get out of this product..........

I wonder if by some coincidence the agent makes a 7% commission?

Nun-As I recall, your AA and investing approach are relatively conservative, which, I presume, is the reason you own annuities. Without revealing any private details, I'd like to know what annuities you purchased, why you purchased them, if they're performing the function intended, and if you'd make the same decision in today's low rate environment. Thx.

I'd say I'm pretty middle of the road in my AA it being 50/50 overall. But I have arrange things so that my basic income can come from pretty stable sources like rent, SS, pension and annuities. I'm very glad I bought my TIAA-Traditional deferred annuity years ago as it just keeps plugging away giving me good tax deferred interest and it's part of my income foundation.

As I have retirement money with TIAA-CREF it's by default invested in annuities. However, the TIAA-CREF variable annuities in a 401a or 403b account function just like mutual funds with ERs around 0.4% or 0.5%. There are no other fees or withdrawal restrictions and they can be rolled over into IRAs. TIAA-CREF does encourage you to turn the VA accumulation into a one or two life annuity at retirement to provide income for life, but you can ignore that and just live of the gains etc if you want, or roll it over to a Vanguard IRA to save money on fees.

As well as the VAs, TIAA offers a deferred annuity called TIAA-Traditional. I bought this 27 years ago and have put money into it as part of my fixed income allocation, today it's only 5% of my portfolio. It has access restrictions and if you want to take money out you either do it through a life time annuity or in equal amounts over 10 years. But you do get good interest rates for giving up control; 3% minimum, but today it's paying 4.416%. Actually money inside the annuity gets different interest rates depending on when it was contributed, so today's contributions get 4.416%, but contributions made earlier get higher rates. Costs etc are taken out before the interest rate is declared, so it basically acts like a tax deferred high interest savings account or CD, but you can't get at your money. At retirement you turn it into an income stream or it pays out over 10 years. I got a quote for a single life fixed annuity for a 55 year old male and the payout rate was 7% which is about 1% higher than other quotes I've seen.

Because I have access to TIAA-CREF's annuities and they seem to give far better deals than most annuities I would not buy one from another company. I will probably leave my TIAA-Traditional to compound after I retire and use it as longevity insurance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom