VG mix suggestions for ER cash

Rascal

Dryer sheet aficionado
I've decided to make the ER jump in a couple of months, at about 59. I have about 8 years of living expenses in post-tax cash to hold me over until I start tapping pre-tax and other assets.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a VG fund mix to allow me to make steady withdrawals, earn a little return and still allow for an emergency. Tax-free still looks good as my wife will continue working for 3 or 4 more years. Our joint income will likely be too high to get any SS until then.

I was looking at a page somewhere with a suggested VG mix that looked good for my purpose, but I can't find it now. I was sure I bookmarked it.

Do you want to pay more taxes than you need to? If so, then have mix for taxable accounts (post-tax) and a mix for your pre-tax accounts.

If you wish to minimize taxes, then have a single portfolio that combines both your post-tax and pre-tax assets.

See also: https://institutional.vanguard.com/iip/pdf/WP_TotalRet.pdf
Page 5 is where it writes about taxable and tax-advantaged accounts.

Good read, thanks. I can't do a single portfolio at this time, but I can keep the big picture. At any rate, I *will* be retiring in a couple months. Perhaps a visit to a tax expert is is in order.

Back
Top Bottom