VG Wellington Down $1.53?

Happening all over this time of year. Does make your heart flutter, eh? ;)

I was just looking at that. It says reinvest date is 12/26 and payable date is 12/27. Our fund is definately down today. Will we see the payment in there tomorrow?

AlmostDone said:
I was just looking at that. It says reinvest date is 12/26 and payable date is 12/27. Our fund is definately down today. Will we see the payment in there tomorrow?
Probably, but I'd check newspapers headlines first in case the world has ended. Wellington down $1.53?!?

We go through this every 52nd week. It's best to not spend a lot of time on your ER portfolio between Christmas & New Years while the fund companies get their window dressing distributions straightened out.

You're lucky you asked on this board first. If you'd blurted out this question on FundAlarm you would've had to buy doughnuts for everybody...

Thankyou so much for being kind! I should have done a little more reading on the VG site to figure this out, but my heart did flutter and DH's nearly stopped!

Just for kicks I adjusted all my fund values to current values and my portfolio is down about $30K from Nov 30.

But after adjusting to the new number of shares held after reinvestment, I'm in the black.

It's going to be a bad tax year. :eek:

On or about 12/14, Wellesley was down $1.93 at one point during the day. The only reason I noticed that is because I was thinking about buying some. I blew it off at the moment, but by the end of the day, the fund's value ended gaining a few basis points.

I assume they distributed dividends and reinvested them so fast that the whole thing ironed itself out in hours.

retire@40 said:
It's going to be a bad tax year. :eek:
If you have the money to pay taxes then it's a good tax year.

A bad tax year would be when you exercised options and held on to tanking stock...

Rich_in_Tampa said:
because I was thinking about buying some.
I assume they distributed dividends and reinvested them so fast that the whole thing ironed itself out in hours.
The thought crossed their mind, too, and fund companies will make sure that your purchase goes through at their "fair value pricing" instead of at NAV. No distribution arbitrage possible, and you might even end up paying taxes on your purchase if your money gets into their fund the day before the record date.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
On or about 12/14, Wellesley was down $1.93 at one point during the day. The only reason I noticed that is because I was thinking about buying some. I blew it off at the moment, but by the end of the day, the fund's value ended gaining a few basis points.

Rich,

Mutual funds are only priced once a day, at the close. Any order to buy shares placed at any time during the day are bought at the Net Asset Value (NAV) calculated at the close. I don't know what pricing you were looking at during the day but you could not have bought at that price.

Grumpy

grumpy said:
Mutual funds are only priced once a day, at the close. Any order to buy shares placed at any time during the day are bought at the Net Asset Value (NAV) calculated at the close. I don't know what pricing you were looking at during the day but you could not have bought at that price.

It came across on the Yahoo! ticker, not the Vgd site. These numbers do very during the day even for other Vgd funds, too. Not sure where this comes from since, as you say, VGD sets prices at the closed.

Maybe they are tracking the ETF version??

It's at this time of the year, when all of the managed funds are forced to spill out all of the CGs that they have developed each year, that I am calmly joyed by my substantial TSM stake and it's lack of CGs each and every year. Of course I still have to deal with dividends but at less than 2% it's no big deal. One of the many reasons that Vanguard Total Stock Market has been my favorite fund for a number of years. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom