Join Early Retirement Today

View of Retirement at 107
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

View of Retirement at 107

Okay, which one of you is Leonard McCracken?

view-of-retirement-at-107: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Excerpt:
At 107, after living in retirement for 41 years, he's still paying the bills and getting by on his own resources.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not me I hope. I bet his friends have all been dead for 20 years.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
McCracken bought and sold 35 houses in his life, including five that he built himself.
Yowza. Whaddya do all day indeed...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yowza. Whaddya do all day indeed...
That is, on average, probably less than one every two years. Hardly excessive (IMHO).

And he still follows the market - suggesting that people who buy now will make a lot of money.

If I live to 107, it means that I would have spent just over 60 years in retirement (assuming I FIRE on schedule). Maybe I should revisit my spreadsheets?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
That is, on average, probably less than one every two years. Hardly excessive (IMHO).
OK then, you get to load & unload the moving truck...

I thought 19 moves was more than enough for our military careers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Me, too. 20 moves in my life (13 in the military) made me so sick of the process that I want to stay put for as long as possible.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Me, too. 20 moves in my life (13 in the military) made me so sick of the process that I want to stay put for as long as possible.

I guess you and Nords did not move like my friend (who was in the Navy for 6 or so years).... he just packed his bags and left all the furniture.. he only bought cheap particle board stuff that only lasted a few years at best...

The first time I saw him move like this... I was shocked... I went to help him and we just moved a few boxes of stuff... his new apartment already had furniture he had bought an delivered..
Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I guess you and Nords did not move like my friend (who was in the Navy for 6 or so years).... he just packed his bags and left all the furniture.. he only bought cheap particle board stuff that only lasted a few years at best...
One of the legendary submariners in 1980s Charleston lived in a campground. He was paying something like 10% of his monthly housing allowance to camp in a tent, and banking the rest. He was probably fishing for half of his grocery bill, too.

Every three months, when it came time to fly to Holy Loch or bus down to Kings Bay for his turn on the boomer crew, he'd roll up his tent and store it in the trunk of his car (with all his other possessions) in the base parking lot.

I was impressed with his savings rate but of course he was considered to be somewhat less than a chick magnet.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought 19 moves was more than enough for our military careers.
Nah. 36 moves in the last eight months, seems to be about right for us. But then, it is a whole lot easier when the house is on wheels.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Nah. 36 moves in the last eight months, seems to be about right for us. But then, it is a whole lot easier when the house is on wheels.
I get the idea you guys are really enjoying your trek down the east coast.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've always thought military bases would be a lot better with RV parking near the housing area. A few of my assignment officers clearly shared that philosophy when it came to writing my orders...

Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I get the idea you guys are really enjoying your trek down the east coast.
Having a ball. We keep thinking that we'll settle someplace for a month or so, but every week to ten days we're on the move again. The country's so darned big I figure it will take us about three years to cover just the highlights even moving the way we are. We managed to get from Montreal to Key West in eight to nine months, but hardly scratched the surface of most states we passed through. We've been in FL since early December and will probably be here until late March, making about seventeen stops in that time. Not every state is as big, or has as much to offer, as FL but to cover every other state in as much detail would take us sixteen years . . . and then there's the rest of the world to cover.

So much to do, and so little time.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Having a ball. We keep thinking that we'll settle someplace for a month or so, but every week to ten days we're on the move again.
I, too, suffer from the "I wonder what's over that next hill" syndrome. We're usually ready to move on after a week or so.

I checked our travel log and found our longest stay in one spot in the past four years was eight days.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Having a ball. We keep thinking that we'll settle someplace for a month or so, but every week to ten days we're on the move again. The country's so darned big I figure it will take us about three years to cover just the highlights even moving the way we are. We managed to get from Montreal to Key West in eight to nine months, but hardly scratched the surface of most states we passed through. We've been in FL since early December and will probably be here until late March, making about seventeen stops in that time. Not every state is as big, or has as much to offer, as FL but to cover every other state in as much detail would take us sixteen years . . . and then there's the rest of the world to cover.

So much to do, and so little time.
wait till you get out west
Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
wait till you get out west
We know, we know. Most folks who do this make a b-line for the west, and with good reason. We thought a more deliberate north/south zig-zag east to west with the seasons made more sense. But now that we've covered the east coast, we're really tempted to just blow off the middle part of the country. I don't think we will, but it sure is tempting.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Nice article, thanks for the link. I hope to emulate Leonard except I don't plan to trade real estate and I sure hope I don't live anywhere near that long...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nice article, thanks for the link. I hope to emulate Leonard except I don't plan to trade real estate and I sure hope I don't live anywhere near that long...
"Ah, I don't care if I'm dead when I'm 100."

...And that's just the way you feel until you're 99.

Hopefully in fifty years people on the pension board are gonna be saying "When is Walt34 finally gonna die?" As long as I have my wits and reasonable health anyway.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
"Ah, I don't care if I'm dead when I'm 100."

...And that's just the way you feel until you're 99.
Certainly true for some. But I suspect if we had a socially acceptable, readily available, and painless way to 'retire', we'd be surprised to learn how many people would vote with their feet.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Certainly true for some. But I suspect if we had a socially acceptable, readily available, and painless way to 'retire', we'd be surprised to learn how many people would vote with their feet.
If it was all of those criteria then it'd also be all too easy for spouse to vote my proxy for me...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If it was all of those criteria then it'd also be all too easy for spouse to vote my proxy for me...
Assuming that were allowed. I see no reason why it should be.