Join Early Retirement Today

Warning: Some Retire Early
Old 06-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Warning: Some Retire Early

A quote from the Marketwatch article entitled "Work late in life? Only for Some":

"Certainly statistics show more older Americans are opting to work later in life, but there remains a hefty portion of older people who consistently retire early, some economists are warning."

I think we may have been found out....

REW

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...eid=mktw&dist=
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Warning: Some Retire Early
Old 06-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I read the article and it is depressing. It says that many people profess that they are going to work to 65 or later, but end up retiring earlier. And it often isn't because they are rich. There may be health problems. They may get laid off and are unable to find another job. They might not be able to keep up with their hectic job, but are unsuccessful at finding another. Etc.

Upping the Social Security age "will help the Social Security problem, but it won't help the problem of real people."

The article also says that if we want people working longer as a society, then maybe we need to increase the first eligibility age for social security above 62, so people are forced to work.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I read the article and it is depressing.
Yes, it is depressing. It reinforces the importance of placing yourself in a financial position that will allow you to retire early, even if you love your job and want to work until you are age 99.

REW
Old 06-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I met a guy hiking the other day - 62 with an artificial hip and 3 bypass operations. Works 3 nights a week as a security guard and gets 1200 per month from social security. . . but his apartment cost 1250 per month. He says "I'd be on the street if it weren't for my brother kicking in" Are we all prepared to kick in for our brothers/sisters?

Can some post a better link to the article - I get waylaid to everything but the article on marketwatch.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I read the article and it is depressing. It says that many people profess that they are going to work to 65 or later, but end up retiring earlier. And it often isn't because they are rich. There may be health problems. They may get laid off and are unable to find another job. They might not be able to keep up with their hectic job, but are unsuccessful at finding another. Etc.
Thats where the great stats that people who retire early get sick and die come from. Other way around
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse

Can some post a better link to the article - I get waylaid to everything but the article on marketwatch.
Try this:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...eid=mktw&dist=
Old 06-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
I met a guy hiking the other day - 62 with an artificial hip and 3 bypass operations. Works 3 nights a week as a security guard and gets 1200 per month from social security. . . but his apartment cost 1250 per month.* He says "I'd be on the street if it weren't for my brother kicking in"* Are we all prepared to kick in for our brothers/sisters?
Not until he gets a cheaper apartment!

Beachbumz 8)