Was that the quickest correction or what ?

Except for a few good stocks which I've neglected to sell - and (I didn't watch the Saint's lose in overtime), pretty much 'hurry up just stand there' - like a good Boglehead.

Went Target Retirement 2015 in 2006 so I don't even watch that much anymore. My Pals the computers at Vanguard rebalance and my Buds at the IRS take out the RMD every Jan leaving me a balance in MM after taxes.

heh heh heh - If mad money piles up in MM after RMD a few good stocks or a sport's car or ? :)

I did nothing... I switched a few non-performing stocks to my index ETFs, but that is just normal allocation stuff.

I have went to many trading schools. InvestTools, Online Trading Academy, Ino.com, etc. I have watched more videos and studied more charts than one could even imagine. Candle stick patterns, Bollinger bands, Elliot Wave Theory, etc. I have played with options. I have used Sink or Swim, TradeStation, and Fidelity and tried a few others.

I found my 401K out performed my individual accounts, year after year. I could not 'monkey around' with my 401K like I could my individual account. If I would have just stayed the course, that I set out in my 30s rather than tinker, I would be already RE by now.

I heard it wasn't a correction at all. Just a return to volatility that we had been absent from for an extended period.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Uh, no, I don't think it can be dismissed as such. Even during the much higher volatility of 2011 and 2012, we still didn't manage a sell off of more than 7% since 2009. 10% this year (well, 9.9%) is significant.

Except for a few good stocks which I've neglected to sell - and (I didn't watch the Saint's lose in overtime), pretty much 'hurry up just stand there' - like a good Boglehead.

Went Target Retirement 2015 in 2006 so I don't even watch that much anymore. My Pals the computers at Vanguard rebalance and my Buds at the IRS take out the RMD every Jan leaving me a balance in MM after taxes.

heh heh heh - If mad money piles up in MM after RMD a few good stocks or a sport's car or ? :)

I think you should get a sports car if you want one! :D

Uh, no, I don't think it can be dismissed as such. Even during the much higher volatility of 2011 and 2012, we still didn't manage a sell off of more than 7% since 2009. 10% this year (well, 9.9%) is significant.

A true correction is a decline of at least ten percent, and usually more over a time period of no more than two months and often of shorter duration. So when did that happen this year?? I still am at an overall gain this year so thats no where near a market correction. Thats just volatility. I have pretty good long term memory, so this is nothing new. Its the old normal actually. We might be seeing a correction down the road, but that was no correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

A true correction is a decline of at least ten percent, and usually more over a time period of no more than two months and often of shorter duration. So when did that happen this year?? I still am at an overall gain this year so thats no where near a market correction. Thats just volatility. I have pretty good long term memory, so this is nothing new. Its the old normal actually. We might be seeing a correction down the road, but that was no correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

9.9% is close enough to 10%. It just happened in Sept and October. We already recovered, that's why you aren't down for the year.

Did you check your portfolio on Oct 14?

Was not 10% drop. The drop occurred on Oct 8 and Oct 16 it started to regain. The drop was less than 6%(closer to 5%) on the S&P. You a looking at the swing between the lowest and highest so far from the drop until now. That's not what you look at. It's the overall drop from the value of the market the day before the downturn started until it bounced back to where it was.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom