Was that the quickest correction or what ?

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I really don't know if this last market downturn meets the strict definition of a correction or not but the turnaround sure was fast. Glad I don't get too emotional about the market moving either way.

Did anyone make/lose any money in the last couple of weeks ?

Daily ETF Flows | ETF.com

Looking at historical data for past 30-40 days.

For most part people sell when market is low and buy when its high :). That is why investor returns are almost always below fund returns.

All better! :D Well, maybe...

I didn't do anything. I do a lot less juggling of my portfolio now (in retirement), than I did in accumulation phase.

I stayed put and pretty much tuned out the [-]noise [/-]news.

Then looking at the headline today about all time highs again and went "Well, how about that?" :)

I didn't do anything, and I'm back to the same level as late September. That was about 1.5% off the peak (the peak I measured*, that is).

*the timing of my pulls is erratic...I can pull my numbers, but it takes 20 minutes, so only do it when I'm bored or the market seems to be doing something.

Definitely made lots of money.

10% dips and recoveries happen routinely, so this one was not that bad nor that unusual. Perhaps folks just haven't paid attention in the past.

How about May 6, 2010? :) :) That one lasted a few minutes if I recall correctly and even added "Flash Crash" to our vocabulary. I know I submitted a limit order 10% below an early afternoon quote and it was filled!

But a more normal one occurred in June 2013 and another around Sept 2012. Recovery can be shorter or longer.

Definitely made lots of money.

10% dips and recoveries happen routinely, so this one was not that bad nor that unusual. Perhaps folks just haven't paid attention in the past.

How about May 6, 2010? :) :) That one lasted a few minutes if I recall correctly and even added "Flash Crash" to our vocabulary. I know I submitted a limit order 10% below an early afternoon quote and it was filled!

But a more normal one occurred in June 2013 and another around Sept 2012. Recovery can be shorter or longer.

What happened to people with Stop-Loss Orders during Flash Crash? :(

^They learned a painful lesson.

I was wishing for a bigger & longer correction than 10% (I think it was actually 9.9% but that's splitting hair). Bigger correction could have shook out the weak hands and gotten more long term investors to commit. But this will do/work.

I was able to rebalance into energy funds, we'll see how that ends up, but it was all sticking to the plan.
I also Roth converted additional shares of two or three funds that had dropped more than 10% since the original conversions at the start of the year. Each fund into a new Roth account. I'll recharacterize the old losing conversion accounts next year.

I had been pondering my AA and wanted a bit more in equities (from Bonds) so I took advantage of the dip and moved some funds in both my taxable account and my 401k. The downturn gave me a bit more "guts" to do it.

During the last 45 days I lost about 7% on a mark to market basis from my personal peak as of Friday 31 OCT close. Overweight oils, and on margin - it was tough to dodge a 25% move straight down. I tried to trade it as best as I could. At several points in October I was seriously considering a hot bath and substituting the straight razor for the soap bar. Was fortunate that I also had a big stake in Apple, which held up rather well.

Overall now up 40.8% YTD time weighted return including dividends, margin interest and brokerage commission and not including withdrawals or additions to principal.

"When you run with the big dogs, you better be able to sh*t with them too"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
During the last 45 days I lost about 7% on a mark to market basis from my personal peak as of Friday 31 OCT close. Overweight oils, and on margin - it was tough to dodge a 25% move straight down. I tried to trade it as best as I could. At several points in October I was seriously considering a hot bath and substituting the straight razor for the soap bar. Was fortunate that I also had a big stake in Apple, which held up rather well.
You need to dial it back, more than a little.

I did nothing, although I was hoping for a more prolonged downturn. I wanted to max two IRA's and make a $12000 contribution to my solo 401k, but it looks like I missed the bottom. Oh well, I might just sell something in taxable and use the proceeds to contribute to IRAs and 401k.

Did nothing....which was dumb as I'm in the mode of monthly buys anyway. I decided to stick with my discipline of buying once a month. That has screwed me several times this year!

Of course the minute I change it and shove more money in on a dip will the time the market is going to actually drop 30% and I'll be the schmoe who tried to catch a falling knife. LOL.

I'll buy more tomorrow as is my habit...

All better! :D Well, maybe...

I didn't do anything. I do a lot less juggling of my portfolio now (in retirement), than I did in accumulation phase.

Was waiting for your "Wheeee" on rebound!

Worked out great for me, of course I am an un-repentant market timer and a sometimes day trader so I look for pull backs all of the time, its what allowed me to ER in the first place. After last several days, actually almost 100% in cash....(till the next oppty <g>)

Was waiting for your "Wheeee" on rebound!

I'm being good this time, aren't I? :D

To be honest, with my 45:55 (equities:fixed) allocation it hardly made a dent in my portfolio. So, it's hard to get too excited when things gradually undulate back to where they were.

I saw my investment return dip to the return I use in predicting our IRA return long term which caused me pause, but I did nothing. I still have a major portion of our MRDs to withdraw so am considering selling one international fund which has been stinking up my portfolio if it fails to maintain an upslope in the next 30 days.

Shift only a small portion of cash into equity about a week ago, pondering why I did not do more. We have too much cash on the sideline.

Rarely do I have much cash sitting in my Roth IRA, but I was building up for a regular purchase of the VFINX (Vanguard S&P 500 Index) throughout the Summer that I usually dollar cost average into my account. Well, the downturn began and I did my best to monitor the situation and I bought at the closing price on 8/15, which as I understand it was the bottom of the correction.

I'm up almost 8% on that order in just two weeks. A little bit of planning and a lot of luck I suppose.

That was fun! :clap: I didn’t think I’d see a return so quick.

I’ve been selling a little here/there all year as the market was going up from funds that I was over allocated in.

During the dip, I bought funds that I was under allocated in all the way down and part of the way back up. Of course not all $$ was put in at the bottom – most was put in before hitting the bottom. The market has been so stingy with it’s pull backs this year I was a little eager to pull the trigger. But due to the possibility that it may continue dropping – I just buy a little at a time. I was ready to buy more if it continued down.

One fund that I’m over allocated in is back up to a lifetime high and I’ve already started selling again.

A cool :cool: thing about the recovery is not everything is recovered. So some funds are at a point that I am selling and others are at a point that I’m buying. For the most part US large cap equities are more than recovered. Most of my US small cap funds still have a little way to go yet. My international funds still have quite a bit of ground to make up from the dip (I’m still adding to some of those).

I’ve recently (this year) added some specialty funds (small % of portfolio) for diversification (something other than bonds that might not go the same way as the rest of the market). The equity specialties I currently have are energy, utility, REIT (US), REIT (global), and Precious Metals.

The shining star through the dip was the utility play. It didn’t really participate on the down side at all, but it has soared upward during the recovery.

The REITs also provided some assistance during the dip – they didn’t follow all the way down – they started recovering sooner than the rest of the market and are well above were they were before the “correction”.

My energy fund tanked hard. It was already down 10% before the US market correction started. I’ve added to that fund 4 times during it’s decent including at the bottom (23% off peak). It has started to push back up a little, but it has a long way to go.

Precious metals started the downhill slide early and is still tanking. I sold a little in August around this year’s high and have bought 4 times on the way down (may buy more if it keeps trending down). May or may not be the right move, but it is currently down 26% from where I sold and I can’t help myself (do I need to call the GA hotline?). If it recovers, I’ll sell some of it because I probably have more in it than I’d like (currently a little over 1% of total portfolio value). I’m definitely not a “gold bug” – never owned a fund like this until this year. Of all the funds I own, I might need to call this fund gambling instead of investing (I don’t know the rational of why it does what it does except for emotion or maybe the roll of the dice). The volatility it has shown this year is fun, so I’ll keep it for the sheer entertainment value. It didn’t help at all for this dip, but I still think it offers a diversification potential for upward movement if (make that when) something happens to really rattle the markets.

Last edited:
Given my 10% rebalance band (45 _ 55 % for equities) it was kind of heart tumping to watch it meander from about 53.5 to 52 and back up again over the last few weeks. Talk about sweaty palms!

I got both our roths funded for '14 and bought pretty darn close to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom