Join Early Retirement Today

Was that the quickest correction or what ?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I really don't know if this last market downturn meets the strict definition of a correction or not but the turnaround sure was fast. Glad I don't get too emotional about the market moving either way.

Did anyone make/lose any money in the last couple of weeks ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
gone traveling

Daily ETF Flows | ETF.com

Looking at historical data for past 30-40 days.

For most part people sell when market is low and buy when its high . That is why investor returns are almost always below fund returns.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Administrator

All better! Well, maybe...

I didn't do anything. I do a lot less juggling of my portfolio now (in retirement), than I did in accumulation phase.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I stayed put and pretty much tuned out the noise news.

Then looking at the headline today about all time highs again and went "Well, how about that?"
Old 11-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

I didn't do anything, and I'm back to the same level as late September. That was about 1.5% off the peak (the peak I measured*, that is).

*the timing of my pulls is erratic...I can pull my numbers, but it takes 20 minutes, so only do it when I'm bored or the market seems to be doing something.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Definitely made lots of money.

10% dips and recoveries happen routinely, so this one was not that bad nor that unusual. Perhaps folks just haven't paid attention in the past.

How about May 6, 2010? That one lasted a few minutes if I recall correctly and even added "Flash Crash" to our vocabulary. I know I submitted a limit order 10% below an early afternoon quote and it was filled!

But a more normal one occurred in June 2013 and another around Sept 2012. Recovery can be shorter or longer.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Definitely made lots of money.

10% dips and recoveries happen routinely, so this one was not that bad nor that unusual. Perhaps folks just haven't paid attention in the past.

How about May 6, 2010? That one lasted a few minutes if I recall correctly and even added "Flash Crash" to our vocabulary. I know I submitted a limit order 10% below an early afternoon quote and it was filled!

But a more normal one occurred in June 2013 and another around Sept 2012. Recovery can be shorter or longer.
What happened to people with Stop-Loss Orders during Flash Crash?
Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

^They learned a painful lesson.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #9

I was wishing for a bigger & longer correction than 10% (I think it was actually 9.9% but that's splitting hair). Bigger correction could have shook out the weak hands and gotten more long term investors to commit. But this will do/work.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I took no action, other than yawning.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #11

I was able to rebalance into energy funds, we'll see how that ends up, but it was all sticking to the plan.
I also Roth converted additional shares of two or three funds that had dropped more than 10% since the original conversions at the start of the year. Each fund into a new Roth account. I'll recharacterize the old losing conversion accounts next year.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #12

I had been pondering my AA and wanted a bit more in equities (from Bonds) so I took advantage of the dip and moved some funds in both my taxable account and my 401k. The downturn gave me a bit more "guts" to do it.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

During the last 45 days I lost about 7% on a mark to market basis from my personal peak as of Friday 31 OCT close. Overweight oils, and on margin - it was tough to dodge a 25% move straight down. I tried to trade it as best as I could. At several points in October I was seriously considering a hot bath and substituting the straight razor for the soap bar. Was fortunate that I also had a big stake in Apple, which held up rather well.

Overall now up 40.8% YTD time weighted return including dividends, margin interest and brokerage commission and not including withdrawals or additions to principal.

"When you run with the big dogs, you better be able to sh*t with them too"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
During the last 45 days I lost about 7% on a mark to market basis from my personal peak as of Friday 31 OCT close. Overweight oils, and on margin - it was tough to dodge a 25% move straight down. I tried to trade it as best as I could. At several points in October I was seriously considering a hot bath and substituting the straight razor for the soap bar. Was fortunate that I also had a big stake in Apple, which held up rather well.
You need to dial it back, more than a little.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I did nothing, although I was hoping for a more prolonged downturn. I wanted to max two IRA's and make a $12000 contribution to my solo 401k, but it looks like I missed the bottom. Oh well, I might just sell something in taxable and use the proceeds to contribute to IRAs and 401k.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Did nothing....which was dumb as I'm in the mode of monthly buys anyway. I decided to stick with my discipline of buying once a month. That has screwed me several times this year!

Of course the minute I change it and shove more money in on a dip will the time the market is going to actually drop 30% and I'll be the schmoe who tried to catch a falling knife. LOL.

I'll buy more tomorrow as is my habit...
Old 11-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
All better! Well, maybe...

I didn't do anything. I do a lot less juggling of my portfolio now (in retirement), than I did in accumulation phase.
Was waiting for your "Wheeee" on rebound!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Worked out great for me, of course I am an un-repentant market timer and a sometimes day trader so I look for pull backs all of the time, its what allowed me to ER in the first place. After last several days, actually almost 100% in cash....(till the next oppty <g>)
Old 11-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Was waiting for your "Wheeee" on rebound!
I'm being good this time, aren't I?

To be honest, with my 45:55 (equities:fixed) allocation it hardly made a dent in my portfolio. So, it's hard to get too excited when things gradually undulate back to where they were.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I saw my investment return dip to the return I use in predicting our IRA return long term which caused me pause, but I did nothing. I still have a major portion of our MRDs to withdraw so am considering selling one international fund which has been stinking up my portfolio if it fails to maintain an upslope in the next 30 days.