10-20% 31 28.44%
20-30% 32 29.36%
30-40% 18 16.51%
40-50% 12 11.01%
More than 50% 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm about 25% Foreign. I'm also thinking that the run on the US dollar is over and 2008 won't be so good for Foreign stocks. We also got the bubble with emerging markets - this has made me a bit scared. I might reallocate 5% back to US stocks, because I think it's safer over there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I'd be interested to hear why some folks have greater than 50% of their portfolio in foreign equity.
Well i'm right at 50%. I just think it is risky to hold more than half your nest egg in one country. Look at what happened in Japan the last 20 or so years. Or in the US from 1966-82. We are currently in a similar stretch 2000-07. And givin that our economy is about half the global, 50% feels about right.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 42% of my market investments (stocks and stock/bond funds) in foreign, but if I figure from my entire portfolio it is 32%.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only at about 10%. I've bought mostly individual stocks, and I don't have any understanding of foreign markets. I've been ramping up my foreign exposure for about the last year by buying international mutual funds in my 401k, as well as VEU in my taxable account.

I don't want to be the guy jumping into the hot asset class at the end of a giant run, so I'm going in slowly. I'll probably stop when I get to 20-25%.

It isn't as bad as it sounds, since my big US companies have a lot of business overseas (JNJ, MCD, MMM, and Berkshire).

People have been saying that the US is falling apart since Revolutionary war. Wasn't Japan supposed to own our country by now?

I suspect that talk of our decline is a little overdone.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I'm surprised by the initial results of the poll; the %age of foreign equities is higher that I'd imagined.
Out of sixty-six voters so far, 31% have between 20-30% in foreign equities. To me, this was a surprise because most investors seem to experience home bias syndrome. Perhaps the importance of global diversification is finally getting through to the investing world.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I just watched that youtube post. It is related to the fall of the $.
What is your opinion?

Here is another one:
Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear why some folks have greater than 50% of their portfolio in foreign equity.
I'm at 50% foreign for retirement assets, 60% if college fund is included. That still leaves me with a healthy dose of home bias, since the domestic market where I am is only about 10% of world market capitalization.

Quote:
I own 35% foreigh equities as a hedge against the falling dollar as I plan to retire to Europe. Once I ER and emmigrate I plan to move to 40% foreign equity, 30% US equity and 30% bonds
Just curious (not that it matters), if you are planning to retire to Europe, what is the reason for waiting until then to adjust your geographical/currency weightings, rather than starting to preparing now for your expected future consumption needs? Or is there a good chance you'll stay put?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - to repeat what I have been saying recently - being in greater Kansas City - without looking I accept what's in my Target Retirement 2015 - aka da big dog on the porch.

Two more things - were I to move ex-pat somewhere, I would adjust -to what?? - I would have to do research. And my age 40's went in the 1980's when I went to AAII chapter meetings and held up to 40% Vanguard Trustee's co-mingled International.

Now I'm a 60 something old phart, don't read books, try not to tinker(except for a few Norwegian widow stocks), and drive south after ice storms.

heh heh heh - And they will adjust Target as I age to lower percent foreign stocks.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post

Just curious (not that it matters), if you are planning to retire to Europe, what is the reason for waiting until then to adjust your geographical/currency weightings, rather than starting to preparing now for your expected future consumption needs? Or is there a good chance you'll stay put?
The the probability is that I'll go to Europe which is why I'm at 35% foreign equities. I've been that way for the last 10 years. Over the next couple of years the %age of foreign will increase and when I'm in Europe I'm sure I'll probably be biased towards European funds.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My equities are still 50/50. I look at it as diversification. International markets are sometimes more, sometimes less non-correlated with US markets, and still produce good gains overall. (There are assets that are much more non-correlated to US markets, but they don't pay well overall. One of my rules is don't consider investments that don't pay well. I will take the swings.)

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote