Votes: 32 29.4%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • More than 50%

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
I'd be interested to hear why some folks have greater than 50% of their portfolio in foreign equity.

I'm at 50% foreign for retirement assets, 60% if college fund is included. That still leaves me with a healthy dose of home bias, since the domestic market where I am is only about 10% of world market capitalization.

I own 35% foreigh equities as a hedge against the falling dollar as I plan to retire to Europe. Once I ER and emmigrate I plan to move to 40% foreign equity, 30% US equity and 30% bonds
Just curious (not that it matters), if you are planning to retire to Europe, what is the reason for waiting until then to adjust your geographical/currency weightings, rather than starting to preparing now for your expected future consumption needs? Or is there a good chance you'll stay put?

Last edited:
Hmmm - to repeat what I have been saying recently - being in greater Kansas City - without looking I accept what's in my Target Retirement 2015 - aka da big dog on the porch.

Two more things - were I to move ex-pat somewhere, I would adjust -to what?? - I would have to do research. And my age 40's went in the 1980's when I went to AAII chapter meetings and held up to 40% Vanguard Trustee's co-mingled International.

Now I'm a 60 something old phart, don't read books, try not to tinker(except for a few Norwegian widow stocks), and drive south after ice storms.

heh heh heh - :cool: And they will adjust Target as I age to lower percent foreign stocks.

Just curious (not that it matters), if you are planning to retire to Europe, what is the reason for waiting until then to adjust your geographical/currency weightings, rather than starting to preparing now for your expected future consumption needs? Or is there a good chance you'll stay put?

The the probability is that I'll go to Europe which is why I'm at 35% foreign equities. I've been that way for the last 10 years. Over the next couple of years the %age of foreign will increase and when I'm in Europe I'm sure I'll probably be biased towards European funds.

My equities are still 50/50. I look at it as diversification. International markets are sometimes more, sometimes less non-correlated with US markets, and still produce good gains overall. (There are assets that are much more non-correlated to US markets, but they don't pay well overall. One of my rules is don't consider investments that don't pay well. I will take the swings.)

Back
Top Bottom