what are you doing with your coins (change)?

I take accumulated change to Coinstar for iTunes credit.

They have several options.

We have gotten so good playing the credit card points game that we rarely have any coins. What we do have goes in a jar and then to the bank which still offers counting for free.

Chase banks or at least some of them have coin sorter/counters. I saw a girl bring in a shopping bag (doubled or tripled up) that was 1/2 full of coins, and the teller put it through the machine in back.
It's not available for public use, but ask and they may have one in back.

When home in Paradise, most change ends up feeding the parking meters at $.25/10 min. On the mainland, I just leave it in a small dish and DW takes it and spends it - she loves giving exact change. But, don't worry. She has it figured out just about as quickly as the cashier gets the final figure. No counting out pennies like the little old lady: uh ...one....two...three - oh dear, i've already lost count. YMMV

TD has pulled its Coinstar machines in Canada as well and is being sued over the machines not being accurate... and not in a Monopoly sort of way.

ir.ashx

Grocery stores now in my area had self checkout. I would periodically annoy checkout people by paying with lots of coins but self checkout computer just takes whatever I throw in. So any change I have goes in then you can pay for the rest of your transaction with credit. I love this split pay option.
You could shift a lot of coins this way over time. This solved the coin problem for me.

Ugh since TD took the penny arcades away, what are you doing with your change? I have no patience to roll!!

What! No! I love the TD counters b/c if you have an account they are free. Coinstar charges some percentage.

Didn't know you could just cash it in by standing in line. Although that's not as much fun.

What is this "coins" you speak of? LOL

I can remember wrapping and turning in a couple of quarter rolls a month. Don't think I've seen a quarter in a couple of years.

I throw it into a cup when I wash the pants and I load some into the pants before I go shopping. I just spend it.
+1. I just spend it:confused:

Another +1 for coinstar - I usually put the money on a Starbucks card or Amazon - there are a lot of choices.

After it spits out the Canadian coins I pocket them and try to pawn them off a little at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have a half filled 5 gal water bottle of change, one of these days I will lug it to the coin counter.

You will be surprised how much it will be worth... Last week I had to drag a 5 gallon bucket myself into the bank for my aging dad. They have a self serve coin counter there. The bucket was between half and 2/3's full and it was almost $850. Very heavy bucket, also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I save mine in a tin but it takes me 8 years to fill it with the use of debit cards. Then I take it to the credit union.

I've used Coinstar several times but don't like that they withhold a % cut.
Just took the last full jug to NFCU. They have a coin machine and it auto deposits to my account. The recent trip resulted in close to $300 :)

You will be surprised how much it will be worth... Last week I had to drag a 5 gallon bucket myself into the bank for my aging dad. They have a self serve coin counter there. The bucket was between half and 2/3's full and it was almost $850. Very heavy bucket, also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$850. Outstanding. I might get motivated after all.

We have 2 tall plastic containers. One is used for pennies the other for silver. We collect all our coins daily and add to these containers. I don't take them to the bank or Coinstar because I've heard you don't get the full value due to miscounting. So, when I'm not doing anything or just watching/listening to the tube, I'll roll them. Just rolled $345 in coins. We just add it to our vacation savings fund.

I saw a guy with one of those big 5 gallon water bottles full of coins wheeling it into a bank on a hand truck. It had to be heavy.

Vowed that would never be me. I could see myself injuring myself bad wrestling with this enormous heavy jug and spending way more than it was worth at the hospital.

Nah, just going to spend it as I go. It not hard either, when the check comes I count the change first and then hand over the bills.

I've used Coinstar several times but don't like that they withhold a % cut.
Just took the last full jug to NFCU. They have a coin machine and it auto deposits to my account. The recent trip resulted in close to $300 :)

Well that's why many of us take the amount in the various options of store credit, because there is no cut - you get the full amount from the coins.

Well that's why many of us take the amount in the various options of store credit, because there is no cut - you get the full amount from the coins.
I've noticed that not all Coinstar machines give Amazon credits, though their web site has an easy search to find which machines give which credits. There is also apparently a minimum, as I took in a handful of change and got no Amazon credit and was clipped a percentage on what I got from the cashier when I redeemed the slip.

Usually I throw any change in the tip jar at the register. We still accumulate coins though. I've taken it to coinstar to get an Amazon credit, but there was a problem and instead the machine gave me a full credit voucher.

I keep change in the armrest of my car. Use it for the car wash, or give exact change when we go fast fooding.

Grocery stores now in my area had self checkout. I would periodically annoy checkout people by paying with lots of coins but self checkout computer just takes whatever I throw in. So any change I have goes in then you can pay for the rest of your transaction with credit. I love this split pay option.
You could shift a lot of coins this way over time. This solved the coin problem for me.

I do this, too. Every so often, when the number of low-denomination coins (penny, nickel, dime) I have gets a little too large, maybe 20 coins minimum, my next trip to the supermarket or other store which has self-checkout will become a receptacle for my coins. My purchases are small in general. I don't like to part with quarters because I need them for the washing machines. As long as I insert the coins first, because otherwise the machine will stop taking coins once I hit the balance due.

I read today that a 2 liter bottle filled with dimes will get you $700. I am going to try it... probably take me 20 years to fill.

Back
Top Bottom