Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
+1 Amazon credit with Coinstar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've noticed that not all Coinstar machines give Amazon credits, though their web site has an easy search to find which machines give which credits. There is also apparently a minimum, as I took in a handful of change and got no Amazon credit and was clipped a percentage on what I got from the cashier when I redeemed the slip.
My local wally world issues no fees store credit.

I have a problem with my 5 gallon penny only jug...I've been using it since the early 80s and I know there are collectable pennies that are twice face value
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I like it when the amount due in a small cash transaction is a small amount over a whole dollar amount. If it is $10.13, for example, I can quickly and easily get rid of 13 cents in small coins, usually pennies and nickels. This means I can get rid of 2 nickels and 3 pennies, making a dent in my small coin holdings. Anything under 30 cents I can count out quickly while being able to get rid of lots of pennies, nickels, and dimes.
That's true except that I do not usually carry coins on my person..it bothers me to have coins rattling around in my pockets...I keep them in the cupholder in my car, so typically I do not have coins to give to the cashier. Sometimes I do, like going through a drive through, or ocassionally when I bring extra change from the car inside of a store or restaurant for the purpose of getting rid of them, so I guess I should have been more precise in saying that I selectively use cash in those cases when I do not have change on me...if I do have change, then of course I will use it.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
My local wally world issues no fees store credit.
Thank you for this tip, I was not aware of that. Can you tell me how it works? Do you get a receipt and then you present the receipt to the cashier at checkout?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I have a problem with my 5 gallon penny only jug...I've been using it since the early 80s and I know there are collectable pennies that are twice face value
I have sort of the same issue, I have a glass piggy bank with "People's Drug Store" (east coast folks will remember the chain) molded into it that has pennies from the 1960's and early '70's in it. On anther thread someone suggested putting it up for action on Ebay. Shipping would be high as I think it weighs ten pounds.

If not full I could shake the bank and get coins to come out but now it is stuffed full and there is no wiggle room left for the coins to move so the only way to get to them is break the bank.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Audrey, unfortunately the Coinstar machine I used didn't offer any option other then cash after they took their cut :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Audrey, unfortunately the Coinstar machine I used didn't offer any option other then cash after they took their cut :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dang - too bad!
Old 08-02-2016, 01:02 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Quarters are the only useful coin so they go into the car for parking meters.

Many parking meters also like dollar coins. I keep a handful in the car for that purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #68

I collected the coins and when my sons were born I rolled them and took them to the bank to open an account for them. It was about $200 each. Now, I just keep the $$ for DW and me!!

DW had an uncle who died about 4 years ago. He had upwards of 50 jars of coins (mostly pennies) in size, ranging from mayo jars to 5 gallon jugs. I went through them expecting them to be from the 40's to present, meaning there would be some valuable coins. I got 72 wheat pennies and 3 silver coins after 4 hours of looking at coins . I took the coins to the coinstar machine and got about $100 of "silver" coins, and the final total on the pennies was 38500 coins!! The total take after the machine took its cut was about $445.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #69

Coinstar if available. Not all of the grocery stores in my neighborhood have them. If not I just roll while I watch Frankie and Grace.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I have sort of the same issue, I have a glass piggy bank with "People's Drug Store" (east coast folks will remember the chain) molded into it that has pennies from the 1960's and early '70's in it. On anther thread someone suggested putting it up for action on Ebay. Shipping would be high as I think it weighs ten pounds.

If not full I could shake the bank and get coins to come out but now it is stuffed full and there is no wiggle room left for the coins to move so the only way to get to them is break the bank.
Put a thin knife blade into the slot and invert the bank and shake a little. The knife blade will allow the coins to align vertically and you should be able to get a few to slide out. Once it's not so packed full this technique works even better. Just be careful not to chip the lip of the slot.

Don't ask me where I learned this!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #71

Rarely have any coins to deal with since I use credit cards for most everything. The few coins I do collect end up in the coin tray in my vehicle to be used for tolls, parking, vending, etc.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgrl View Post
Ugh since TD took the penny arcades away, what are you doing with your change? I have no patience to roll!!
for yrs. I put the change in a jar then another jar etc.

we moved last April and the coins were real heavy.

Now I roll them up every so often and bring to the bank
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #73

Coins go into a jar.
The missus rolls them if it starts to overflow.
I might grab and leave a handful in the missus' car for parking.
I rarely shop at Safeway but occasionally make a specific visit for some of their unique items I like. At their self serve check out, the machine takes coins and I'll dump bunch in it.
In the past, I used to bring the jar over to my sisters' homes and hand it over to my nieces and nephews. They're more into the bills now.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just took a close to full bank bag to the local bank - $277, mostly in change from our apartment laundry machines. Think I've managed $300 in all quarters in a stuffed bank bag. Happily, they stick the coins in their counter for us..

Down south we save quarters and dimes/nickles for drinking water machines and yard sales, but count me among the hates to carry change crowd.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #75

Unfortunately, I'm fond of the office vending machine and will buy chips a few times a week. At businesses where they have the bowl with the pennies on the counter, I get rid of my extras. Other businesses have jars for charitable donations. I seem to accumulate the most change when I'm on travel as I usually use a credit card when shopping in town. If it's a long trip, I may have to do laundry at the hotel and use coins for the machines.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Coinstar.

When I saw your post I thought you meant old coins. They have gone on Ebay.
Mine are in the safe
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Thank you for this tip, I was not aware of that. Can you tell me how it works? Do you get a receipt and then you present the receipt to the cashier at checkout?
Yep, it prints something you hand to the cashier.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #78

I never have more than a dollar in coin. I just keep it spent down all the time.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #79
Gone but not forgotten

It has been about 5 years since we last cashed in our coins. 3 or 4 gallon ziplocks full.
The small town where our camp is located has a bank with one of those really old (maybe 1920's) clattering sort machines. Last time we used it, there was no charge.
Don't want to guess how much our 'collection' is worth.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #80
gone traveling

I wrap em up and add em to my doughpile...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Doughpile is offline   Reply With Quote