What do you splurge on

I am currently spending money unexpectedly having my exterior trim repainted. The job keeps growing. Not exactly a splurge but lots o’ bucks! I splurge on fun clothes that I wear all the time, having food delivered from restaurants... kind of minimal. I don’t deny myself anything, but my desires aren’t that expensive. I used to splurge on hand-made silver jewelry but I misplaced it during the move. I’m trying not to replace it since I know it’s not stolen, just can’t find it.

:dance::dance::dance:

+1 and also great for Pickleball.:D

in anticipation of my first snowbirding winter in The Villages I started playing pickleball up north.

My first time on the court I ruptured my right achilles tendon. World's shortest pickleball career.

Bocce, anyone?

This week I took my 4-year old granddaughter on an overnight from Des Moines, where she lives, to Chicago. (Last April I'd tested the waters by taking her for an overnight in a hotel close to home- no problems at all with being away from her parents.) I cut the cost a lot by using miles for one direction of the flights and redeeming Hilton points for the hotel, but really had to suspend all grasp of reality when it came to airport and hotel restaurant food.

It was truly priceless. We had a 7th-floor room with a view of planes taking off and landing- she was fascinated. She loved the plane rides (although she said the 1.5-hour flight was a long flight!). We checked out the dinosaur skeleton replica at the B gates at O'Hare. Lots of wonderful memories. We didn't have time to go into the ity and I plan to do it again in warmer weather with more time.

Priceless memories! Our GD is now 7 and we take her somewhere yearly and she thinks hotels are a big deal! This year we took her to a treehouse and spent the night just before school started. We hope to take her by train to Glacier national park in the next couple years.

I just splurged on 1 year of ad-free access to wunderground.com
Considering paying for a premium subscription to Pandora too.

in anticipation of my first snowbirding winter in The Villages I started playing pickleball up north.

My first time on the court I ruptured my right achilles tendon. World's shortest pickleball career.

Bocce, anyone?

OUCH!!!! :facepalm:

I used a friend’s Dyson hair dryer a couple of weeks ago. I have long straight hair that I usually allow to dry naturally, but it doesn’t look particularly stylish. I dried my hair with her dryer and got loads of positive comments on a picture I posted on social media about how beautiful my hair looked. That was good enough for me! I ordered mine yesterday.

What was so different about your hair with a Dyson? Did you style it? I personally don't do anything to my hair. My hair has less volume when I dry it naturally than when I blow dry it. I do not style my hair, I just put my head down and dry it while I move my fingers through my hair, and that's it. My hair is very straight and heavy (typical hair for a Japanese). I cannot imagine anything would happen to my hair with any blow dryer. When I go to a beauty salon, they dry my hair with a blow dryer, but the hairdresser uses some kind of curling brush, so my hair turns out looking differently, but that's because of the curling brush and not the hairdryer.

An inquiring mind wants to know ;)

Saatva mattress and pillow. 3 month trial period for bed, 45 day trial period for pillow. Excellent customer service, delivery and highest quality bed/pillow ever had.

What was so different about your hair with a Dyson? Did you style it? I personally don't do anything to my hair. My hair has less volume when I dry it naturally than when I blow dry it. I do not style my hair, I just put my head down and dry it while I move my fingers through my hair, and that's it. My hair is very straight and heavy (typical hair for a Japanese). I cannot imagine anything would happen to my hair with any blow dryer. When I go to a beauty salon, they dry my hair with a blow dryer, but the hairdresser uses some kind of curling brush, so my hair turns out looking differently, but that's because of the curling brush and not the hairdryer.

An inquiring mind wants to know ;)

My hair looked sleeker when I blow dried it with the Dyson. As my hair has grown longer, my usual hair dryer causes it to tangle as I dry it. I have to turn the speed down to low to minimize this and even still it does tangle. The Dyson dried my hair without as much apparent heat or “wind” so it doesn’t do as much damage and my hair doesn’t knot up. The end result is straight, very soft, sleek-looking, thick & lush hair.

If you’re curious, order it from Dyson or Amazon and if you don’t see the value, return it. Maybe it would benefit you or maybe not, but you can try it risk-free.

WE are heading to The Villages.
Could you explain how you found it and how long you are staying. Do you get to participate in all the activities that someone who lives there full time can? Are there places like the Villages for 2-3 month rental but not in Florida?

Paying someone to replace two broken fence posts.
I used to enjoy that type of work, but last time I dug up that 80b pounds of concrete and dragged it to the curb I was sore for a week.

Could you explain how you found it and how long you are staying. Do you get to participate in all the activities that someone who lives there full time can? Are there places like the Villages for 2-3 month rental but not in Florida?

I'll PM you so as to not hijack the thread any further than I already have.:)

Fish lunch every week at my favorite Italian place. I no longer buy fish from Costco, they smell to high heaven for some reason. Plus I get my fix of gluten free pasta Bolognese. It’s going to be my source of lycopene for me and my husband.

Oh, another Splurge I forgot to mention. DW and I after some deliberation, joined a local golf club. The deal was that if we paid next year's dues up front, we'd get to enjoy the autumn season for FREE!! So we did!
We handed over the check on Thursday, August 30. The next day I popped the achilles.
Never got one round of golf in.

Ain't life freeking hysterically funny? You really can't make some of this stuff up.

Bocce, anyone?

Yes, I remember your post. Feel bad for you. Did the doctor say you can play again when healed, or that's all for you?

Just finished this week a second floor renovation including a bathroom gut, carpeting, painting the second floor, and painting the exterior of our little old house. Perfectly awesome for us. Total spent: $57K. DIY percentage: 0%. Happiness percentage with contractors: 100%. Like W2R, I can now call this our dream house.

Just finished this week a second floor renovation including a bathroom gut, carpeting, painting the second floor, and painting the exterior of our little old house. Perfectly awesome for us. Total spent: $57K. DIY percentage: 0%. Happiness percentage with contractors: 100%. Like W2R, I can now call this our dream house.
:clap: :clap: :dance:

I'm so happy to read this! And $57K is peanuts, comparatively speaking, when you consider that you ended up with what is now, your Dream House. :D

:clap: :clap: :dance:

I'm so happy to read this! And $57K is peanuts, comparatively speaking, when you consider that you ended up with what is now, your Dream House. :D

Yes! Five years ago we spent twice that on the first floor and now I just see it as $20K per year to this point. I am loving my house so much—we will hunker down this winter and enjoy it every minute.

Reactions: W2R
My hair looked sleeker when I blow dried it with the Dyson. As my hair has grown longer, my usual hair dryer causes it to tangle as I dry it. I have to turn the speed down to low to minimize this and even still it does tangle. The Dyson dried my hair without as much apparent heat or “wind” so it doesn’t do as much damage and my hair doesn’t knot up. The end result is straight, very soft, sleek-looking, thick & lush hair.

If you’re curious, order it from Dyson or Amazon and if you don’t see the value, return it. Maybe it would benefit you or maybe not, but you can try it risk-free.

Thank you for your explanation. I was just curious. My hair never gets tangled by the way. I don’t have fine hair. And naturally sleek, I guess. And heavy. I buy a blow dryer with the highest wattage and use the high setting and I’m done in less than five minutes. It’s nice that you found something that works for you.

I’ll be lucky if I blow dry my hair, too lazy. Thanks to swimming, I’m now naturally highlighted in light blonde color. My sister just asked me if I did anything special and I said none.

Last edited:
I had my hair dried with a new Dyson at a salon yesterday. I thought about this thread so I asked the stylist why she bought it. She said although it weighs a lot, the weight is well distributed and her hand doesn’t get tired or in pain after using it on several clients a day unlike her previous dryers. She said she paid a little over $250 at a convention for a $400 list price appliance. She didn’t say anything about it being a better hair dryer though and my short thick hair didn’t feel any different. She did say Dyson replaced a colleague’s new dryer in two days when it broke after a month, which is either good (customer service) or bad (it broke in such a short time). I imagine it’s great for longer hair and certainly qualifies as a great way to splurge!

I'm splurging on my cancer treatment. I will definitely hit the max out of pocket this year and next. It looks like prescription drugs do not count for out of pocket max so that adds some more on top of the max. So thankful I have a decent stash and have lived on less than I earned for many years.

Finally bought an entry-level robot vacuum (not a Roomba) with a Wi-Fi/remote. Everyone who has it says it broke in a few years, so I was on a fence for a long time, but with two adult cats now, I decided to splurge. It's been great so far. I just hope it lasts.

And oh, we're doing a kitchen reno.

These are things we don't need, but we wanted.

Style? I still wear double-breasted suits I had from more than 30 years ago. For a while, stores did not carry them, but maybe they are coming back in style now.

I have not worn a suit in 10 years, since before I retired. We downsized when retired and I went through all my clothes and had to decide what to do with my business clothes. I had a very expensive Nordstrom suit and I was reluctant to toss it so I asked Ms. 2x4 if I should keep it, perhaps for my funeral (I was joking actually). She opined that I should toss it. Actually I gave it to the Goodwill.

Thank you for your explanation. I was just curious. My hair never gets tangled by the way. I don’t have fine hair. And naturally sleek, I guess. And heavy. I buy a blow dryer with the highest wattage and use the high setting and I’m done in less than five minutes. It’s nice that you found something that works for you.

Lucky you! My hair is very fine but also very thick. It tangles extremely easily. Very annoying. Hopefully the Dyson will help.

Good for you! I think it’s important to love your home. Remodeling is a great way to fall in love with it all over again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom