What do you splurge on

The above exchange reminded me that 3 years ago, when I bought a tux for my daughter's wedding, my wife encouraged me to get another regular suit at the same time. It had a younger style and tighter cut than all my old suits.

I don't recall wearing that 2nd suit ever. Even forget what it looked like. Darn!

Last edited:
I forgot to add one...

CHOCOLATE! It's my vise...second only to ICE CREAM!

Bakers Square Chocolate European Truffle Pie to be exact. When that pie is in season, I spend 100s on Pies lol.

Anything Reese's. But of course, in moderation!

Wait. The chocolate and the pies are two different things? Where can these be purchased? Inquiring minds want to know!

Style? I still wear double-breasted suits I had from more than 30 years ago. For a while, stores did not carry them, but maybe they are coming back in style now.

Just have them made for you!!! That was a splurge for me several years ago. Not sure why but I had two tuxes, an overcoat, 25 dress shirts, 10 ties, and seven suits custom tailored in Bahrain. Not sure why. I wore a military uniform everyday but thought I might need to look professional one day in the civilian sector. Three years later, I retired and have not put one on since. They linger in my closet hoping to come out. But Im good with my shorts, tshirts, and flip flops. Of course, DW, will make me put some on for the formal cruise photos next spring. I gotta get back to fighting weight for that.

My 2 brand new, related, splurges: I live just outside NYC, and DW and I go to 3 to 4 Broadway plays each year. We just started buying only Orchestra seats (vs Mezzanine or even higher). Primary reason is that the stairs in the old theaters are quite steep and it's silly to struggle with them for the few extra bucks Orchestra seats would cost; already overpaying so may as well dole out a bit more.
And, yesterday we went to the Phil Collins concert. Had a great time. Our seats (side stage) were fine, but not great. I have no interest in floor seats, but will spring for seats with better view than we usually buy.

Tell me, how could any hair dyer be “amazing”?

If you have shorter well-behaved hair, or even long hair you can just air dry and be happy with it - then it can't.

But if you're someone for whom their hair determines their mood for the day...If you have longer hair, and troublesome hair (frizzy, breaks easily, hard to get looking right):

Dries faster - instead of 15 mins fighting you spend half that
Styles easier - want it smooth and flat? Want some waves? takes out the guesswork, and does it nicely without damaging your hair like with hot irons and the like

If it means, I can have a good hair day everyday, then it's amazing it (for me).

If you have shorter well-behaved hair, or even long hair you can just air dry and be happy with it - then it can't.

But if you're someone for whom their hair determines their mood for the day...If you have longer hair, and troublesome hair (frizzy, breaks easily, hard to get looking right):

Styles easier - want it smooth and flat? Want some waves? takes out the guesswork, and does it nicely without damaging your hair like with hot irons and the like

If it means, I can have a good hair day everyday, then it's amazing it (for me).

Got you. Thanks for the explanation. I have straight longish Asian hair with zero issues, hence the question. I did get my hair permed a few times when I was younger and I remember my wavy hair going every which way.

Got you. Thanks for the explanation. I have straight longish Asian hair with zero issues, hence the question. I did get my hair permed a few times when I was younger and I remember my wavy hair going every which way.

I used a friend’s Dyson hair dryer a couple of weeks ago. I have long straight hair that I usually allow to dry naturally, but it doesn’t look particularly stylish. I dried my hair with her dryer and got loads of positive comments on a picture I posted on social media about how beautiful my hair looked. That was good enough for me! I ordered mine yesterday.

We are splurging on travel, for example we have booked a 2 week Viking ocean cruise.
This will be our fourth cruise this year, which is more than normal, and we take them for the destinations.
The other 3 cruises this year were with Royal Caribbean, and Carnival.

I used a friend’s Dyson hair dryer a couple of weeks ago. I have long straight hair that I usually allow to dry naturally, but it doesn’t look particularly stylish. I dried my hair with her dryer and got loads of positive comments on a picture I posted on social media about how beautiful my hair looked. That was good enough for me! I ordered mine yesterday.

Dyson...not only do they suck but they also blow. Who knew.

Just decided to head to Charlottsville with my 3yr old son after Xmas. Family and fun will be had

Wasnt really s splurge though...free after miles and credits. Maybe I'll upgrade to business. Nah I'm cheap.

What brand of tennis shoe do you prefer? I need a new pair and want to invest in something decent.

I prefer Asics. Usually a bit cheaper and feel great to me...but this is an individual decision.

Go to a running store and have them evaluate you. You'll get a lot of information to decide which to buy.

But what does the Dyson do that a regular blow dryer doesn’t do. I wasn’t particularly impressed with their vacuum so I’m curious about their hair dryer.

Well, a Whole Foods opened today within sight of my front door, so that should bankrupt me right quick.

$120 on a lb of fresh claw meat (now gone, lobster rolls) and (2) 12 oz tails. Free shipping on over a $100 order special - :)

January, February, and March in Florida, out of the NY State Winter.

January, February, and March in Florida, out of the NY State Winter.

Yeah, we are headed to Florida this winter also (for 2.5 months), to escape the worst of the Michigan winter. Where do you go in Florida? We will be near Crystal River...........first time in that area for us.

Yeah, we are headed to Florida this winter also (for 2.5 months), to escape the worst of the Michigan winter. Where do you go in Florida? We will be near Crystal River...........first time in that area for us.

WE are heading to The Villages.

This week I took my 4-year old granddaughter on an overnight from Des Moines, where she lives, to Chicago. (Last April I'd tested the waters by taking her for an overnight in a hotel close to home- no problems at all with being away from her parents.) I cut the cost a lot by using miles for one direction of the flights and redeeming Hilton points for the hotel, but really had to suspend all grasp of reality when it came to airport and hotel restaurant food.

It was truly priceless. We had a 7th-floor room with a view of planes taking off and landing- she was fascinated. She loved the plane rides (although she said the 1.5-hour flight was a long flight!). We checked out the dinosaur skeleton replica at the B gates at O'Hare. Lots of wonderful memories. We didn't have time to go into the ity and I plan to do it again in warmer weather with more time.

Back
Top Bottom