What Does Your Portfolio Yield These Days?

I did even better in terms of chasing yield. I bought the KBE bank ETF when I was looking at 6+% trailing 12 months yield. And it was selling at a huge discount to what it traded at a year earlier.
Ouch... I remember selling that one for a big loss...

Ouch... I remember selling that one for a big loss...

Luckily I held on. The yield is basically non-existent, but it has performed acceptably (on a relative basis). I'm up a whopping 4% since I bought it (including reinvested divs). Maybe I bought your discarded shares? Like I bought your IJR (or IJS??) shares the other day! :D

Just checked KBE's yield - 0.3% on an annualized basis for the trailing 6 months. :D

Running my own permanent portfolio thru morningstar gives a yield of 2.23%.

My yield is easy. I only have <$50,000 in mutual funds. So I add mutual fund income distributions, interest, stock dividends and MLP distributions, ignore capital adjustments of TIPS, and divide this sum by current market value of entire portfolio.

Right now it yields 3.1%. I live on this, unless I should sell some higher yielding assets and move to cash for tactical reasons.

Ha

My yield is easy. I only have <$50,000 in mutual funds. So I add mutual fund income distributions, interest, stock dividends and MLP distributions, ignore capital adjustments of TIPS, and divide this sum by current market value of entire portfolio.

Right now it yields 3.1%. I live on this, unless I should sell some higher yielding assets and move to cash for tactical reasons.

Ha

Not surprising the my yield is very close 2.98%, to yours. My Berkshire position helps drag down the yield.

I also live of the income. Now some of that income is my IRA so I have no easy way to use it. I find that when I retired roughly 30% of my assets were in IRAs and now that has increased to 40%.

Not surprising the my yield is very close 2.98%, to yours. My Berkshire position helps drag down the yield.

I also live of the income. Now some of that income is my IRA so I have no easy way to use it. I find that when I retired roughly 30% of my assets were in IRAs and now that has increased to 40%.

Yes, we likely have a similar cast to our portfolios. I want mostly dividend payers that increase that dividend regularly, and are not speculatively financed. I also have smaller positions in non dividend payers, or small payers. As I get older, fewer and fewer true non payers.

My yield is being dragged down by the pretty hefty cash postion, in the neighborhood of $500,000. Partly I have been holding cash in case I need a big down payment for condo; but also because I am somewhat wary of valuations and world conditions. I think my overall cash yeild is less than 1%, because I have not wanted to move IRA funds away from my broker to a get a better CD rate. If the current stalemate continues, I will have to do that anyway. I do not like to be led into adding risk or duration by manipulated short term treasury rates.

A change like I mention above and I would immediately pick up $8000 or $9000 in interest.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom