Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Although he talks a lot about increasing income, he seems to shy away from that when it comes to having moms stay at home. I sometimes think he allows his callers to struggle a little too much with "not enough income" in order to enable it.
I think his fundamentalist Christian perspective may influence his advice to callers regarding Mom staying at home. Also, while I don't want to open up a can of worms here, I think telling a family that is in desperate financial straits to keep paying their 10% tithe to their church is both unrealistic and irresponsible. I understand that others may feel differently about this (just as some people choose to trust in supernatural healing rather than modern medicine to cure their diabetic children), but it is not advice that I would give.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like to listen [on radio] and watch [on FOX Business network] Dave Ramsey...
although I don't agree with him on debit cards vrs credit cards... I have no
debit card and put most fixed expenses on my cc, pay it off every month
and get free rewards.

Here in the DFW area, I listen to Ken Moraif on radio [KRLD 3pm Sat/ WFAA 3pm Sun]

~

Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Where can I get your podcast / newsletter / gin and tonic guidance?
Go to the store and buy the LARGEST bottle of Tanqueray you can find. Buy two bottles of Canada Dry tonic, and six of the largest limes you can find.

Liter glasses work best, after one of those, I'll share my investing strategy.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dave Ramsey: simple advice and sometimes wrong. Believes all debt is bad
and you should always pay off your mortgage. Mainly a "get out of debt"
cheerleader.
Ric Edelman: simple advice but rarely wrong. Believes you should not pay
off the mortgage and get the largest mortgage you can. Likes ETFs and
not index funds.
Both above use 12% as the return you'll get from stock market, I like to
see both in a good old fashion debate.
Ray Lucia: by far gives the best and more complex advice, but does have
some blind spots (loves real estate). Talks about corporations for small
businesses and goes beyond the rule of thumbs. Doesn't like bonds or
index funds, loves non-traded REITs.

All 3 are running commercials for their books, only Lucia's is worth
listening to on a regular basis IMOHO.
TJ
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think his fundamentalist Christian perspective may influence his advice to callers regarding Mom staying at home. Also, while I don't want to open up a can of worms here, I think telling a family that is in desperate financial straits to keep paying their 10% tithe to their church is both unrealistic and irresponsible. I understand that others may feel differently about this (just as some people choose to trust in supernatural healing rather than modern medicine to cure their diabetic children), but it is not advice that I would give.
Yea, I notice that too, one of many reasons why I would rather listen to
Susie O than Dave R.
TJ
Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #26

I can easily filter out the Christian perspective, so far I have found none of it to be offensive. But yeah, the tithing thing really surprised me! I didn't know that it was a standard 10%, with no wavering for income level, size of family or circumstances. That 10% off the top could go quite far in these families paying down their debt and later being able to contribute to whoever they want.

I also like Suze Orman. She says some debt is ok, while Dave Ramsey says no debt except for a house. Suze Orman is FICO score oriented. Get and keep a high FICO score and use it to your advantage. Dave Ramsey says to ignore FICO, you don't need it if you don't borrow.

Of course, both stress LBYM, which is the heart of it all anyways.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I go to cnbc.com for some of the keynote speeches, e.g. Barnanke/Paulson. I try to catch Marie Bartiromo once in a while. Erin Barnett is worth a look.

For Canadian perspective, I go to bnn.ca - some of their regulars like Stars & Dogs are entertaining.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I subscribe to Bob Brinker on demand from here in Germany. Also have a pod cast of the Dolans every weekend.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to watch Louis Rukeyser, mostly for his optimism, and levelheaded approach to the markets. (and great puns!)
I would listen to Bruce Williams if I was driving at night to keep me alert. Since I retired, I seldom drive at night.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

What financial radio show do you listen to regularly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwill8 View Post
I used to watch Louis Rukeyser, mostly for his optimism, and levelheaded approach to the markets. (and great puns!)
Louis was my favorite.

I listen to no radio financial people and don't have any favorites on tv.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Back in the 80's when I was young my dad used to listen to a financial / law program with Bruce Williams. He seemed smart, at least to 12 year old.

Nowadays I enjoy Dave Ramsey. And yes, I am debt free!

I listened to Bruce Williams when I was a kid, at night sometimes after I went to bed. I think he's still around, isn't he? Seems like I heard him on the radio awhile back. He must be getting on up there, though.

update: Apparently Bruce Williams is still on the air doing live broadcasts!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwill8 View Post
I would listen to Bruce Williams if I was driving at night to keep me alert. Since I retired, I seldom drive at night.
I miss Lou. It was nice to get relatively sane commentary on financial news without the hype and without the pushing of irrational exuberance and panic.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Back in the 80's when I was young my dad used to listen to a financial / law program with Bruce Williams. He seemed smart, at least to 12 year old.

Those were the days. I used to listen to BW while working in DC area. Usually, came on very late at night. Learned a lot from him and he probably, more than anyone, woke me up to saving. Was in the time frame of 80-85. Wonder what happened to him.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

WOR News Talk Radio 710 HD - The Dolans - Audio Archive for two hours of the Dolans on weekends.

Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard seem to be constantly talking about credit card debt. Are Americans really that bad off?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #35

Quote:

Those were the days. I used to listen to BW while working in DC area. Usually, came on very late at night. Learned a lot from him and he probably, more than anyone, woke me up to saving. Was in the time frame of 80-85. Have not listened lately. Here is the current web site: http://www.brucewilliams.com/
Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #36

I like Clark Howard, although he is a little boring and tends to S... T... R... E...T... C... H everything out and of of course too many Adds.

Suzie Orman now seem to focus on Women's finances although she does talk a lot of sense.

Most simply spout off the obvious, but Clark H. is the exception. He is innovative.

I find that Dave Ramsey while perhaps good for those who have nothing and mountains of debt, does nothing for me. He implies far too many religious undertones for my liking that have no place in financial situations. God will not get you out of debt or prevent you from going into it. He/She may make you feel a little better while you are there, but no more.

One religious saying I do stand by I suppose is: My Fault, My Fault My Own Grievous Fault, that works.

SWR
Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #37
Administrator

I like to listen to just about all financial radio shows that I happen to come across. But since I don't listen to the radio much, I seldom come across any. My radio listening is generally limited to my commute times, on weekdays from 5:50-5:55 AM (news/talk) and 3:30-3:45 PM (swamp pop station out of Golden Meadows).

Maybe after ER I will be able to fit radio shows into my hectic ER schedule.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I listened to Bruce Williams when I was a kid, at night sometimes after I went to bed. I think he's still around, isn't he? Seems like I heard him on the radio awhile back. He must be getting on up there, though.

update: Apparently Bruce Williams is still on the air doing live broadcasts!
Sweet, he has Podcasts too! I'm so there!

Bruce Williams Official Website

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Sweet, he has Podcasts too! I'm so there!

Bruce Williams Official Website

I have not heard him in many years maybe 15 or 20.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Harley is so right to list “Car Talk.” I listen to it sometimes even thou I sold my car in 1980. It’s very entertaining and I really do feel I learn a lot of useless stuff. I have listened to Bob Brinker since that fateful Super Bowl Sunday so many years ago. I like Rob Black when I run into him on KRON TV. I hear a lot of talk on radio but act only on my inner voices.