What financial radio show do you listen to regularly?

Alan123

Confused about dryer sheets
Surfing the internet I have found that may cities have at least one financial radio show hosted by their local investment guru. What is your favorite show? Please include the name of the show and the radio station call letters for those who would like to tune in.

For those who haven't tried creating your own pod cast, you can install software such as Replay AV or Red Button which will record the show automatically over the internet and create a MP3 which you can listen to on your computer or MP3 player.

Last edited:
I like MarketPlace on NPR. 1/2 an hour of light, meaningless talk intended to entertain instead of educate. Perfect. Also Car Talk.

Any "serious" financial show just p*sses me off. I can't listen to them. Our local guy is Ric Edelman, who has become pretty famous. He's so full of cr*p it drives me crazy. It's all "I'm so wise, worship me" stuff. I listen to music. For financial info I read.

Harley

I used to listen to Bob Brinker if I was in the car when he was on, but haven't for years. Recently saw that his batting average was about 53%, basically coin toss. Never listened to any others.

And used to watch CNBC every morning and Wall St Week years ago, wouldn't watch either anymore (I gather WSW is no longer aired anyway), why bother? Basically the financial equivalent of white noise IMO...

Honestly just Dave Ramsey's 1 hour podcast available on ITunes for free. I enjoy his show because it's very simple, straight forward and accessible.

That said, all good reading and interacting is argumentative. i.e. I like that he said this but I dont like that. I find myself with him on LBYM, work hard, invest, avoid debt.

For my money he is a bit strict and too conservative on the debt avoidance and too much of his show is about people in really terrible financial situations. The "i'm debt free!" and "gazelle intense" shtick is a bit cheesy for my tastes too heh.

I'd like to find someone who is just as down to earth but deals more with people who arent saddled with 40k in credit card debt and making 24k a year. Higher earners looking to invest wisely ideally.

Clark Howard (syndicated, widely available). He's more "consumer oriented" than strictly investing, and he's not very charismatic, but I've never heard him give a caller bad advice, and he/his staff does a good job of finding interesting topics of wide applicability (e.g. how to freeze your credit info to avoid identity theft, bargain travel techniques, low-cost investing, etc).

He's got a good we site, too.

clarkhoward.com: Save more, spend less and avoid rip-offs

Between these five you will really know what is going on in the world. I love them all. You will learn more from these five than going to college.

Alex Jones
Chuch Harder
Dave Ramsey
Clark Howard
Jim Puplava

Last edited:
Back in the 80's when I was young my dad used to listen to a financial / law program with Bruce Williams. He seemed smart, at least to 12 year old.

Nowadays I enjoy Dave Ramsey. And yes, I am debt free! :p

I am a fairly regular listener of Bob Brinker probably 1-2 hours per weekend.
I am also a rare watcher of Dave Ramsey show. I think he gives could advice just nothing I don't already know.

Sound investing, team based out of Seattle that focuses on asset allocation and no-load mutual funds. They have a pod-cast available at FundAdvice.com - Radio

It get's a little repetitive week after week but they drive home the basics. They do a good job of balance between pushing the idea and their company (Merriman Berkman Next) funds they push.

Back in the 80's when I was young my dad used to listen to a financial / law program with Bruce Williams. He seemed smart, at least to 12 year old.

Nowadays I enjoy Dave Ramsey. And yes, I am debt free! :p

I was older than you in the 80s but I really enjoyed listening to Bruce Williams. He gave good advice because he had had so many good and bad financial and legal experiences of his own to look back on. He admitted to starting quite a few businesses that failed and some that were successful. I listen to Dave Ramsey today mostly because of the people who call in and are in unbelievable financial messes.

I listen to Dave Ramsey today mostly because of the people who call in and are in unbelievable financial messes.

I like Dave Ramsey, but it's so emotionally painful to hear about some of these people's situations that I have a hard time listening.

Harley

I listen to Dave Ramsey's podcasts. He is good at personal finance but I suggest ignoring most of his investment advice. He suggests 100% stocks for everyone and assumes a 12% annual return.

I listen to Bob Brinker when I have time. He gives good advice about the need to diversification and asset allocation. I would ignore is timing advice. I finally realized that he couldn't time any better than anyone else so I cancelled his $180 per year newsletter a few years ago. I do appreciate him for helping me gain the confidence to stay in the market even when things look bad.

No radio for me, but I do podcasts. My regulars are Dave Ramsey and Marketplace Money (this is weekly, not to be confused with the daily "Marketplace"). I also started listening to Brian Preston, "the money guy." This is a weekly show, sensible advice from a CPA and financial planner.

Thanks for the other recommendations...I just downloaded some Clark Howard.

Ray Lucia's broadcast and podcast offers the occasional tidbit, but is pretty well stuffed with ads, self-promotion, and hype. Still, his actual advice on retirement planning is usually worth listening to - you just have to put up with a lot to get there.

I don't listen to any. I listen to car talk whenver I can [mostly to piss off my libertarian FIL :D].

I listen to myself, and avoid the noise..........of course a Tanqueray and Tonic makes me feel smarter after I drink it.........:)

I listen to Dave Ramsey podcasts. He on the radio from 2pm-4pm but the station is weak and I can only hear it in the car. So I download the podcasts and listen on the computer or on the iPod. Here's a link to the radio station - NewsTalk WCER 900 - Taking Back America! If you knew me you'd be laughing over me listening to a Christian Radio station!

His TV show is a little different than the radio show. The radio show is a little bit more random, the TV show seems more prepared, but I like both.

While some of the stories are heartbreaking I enjoy hearing about people making a modest wage and having success getting out of debt. You hear a lot of stories that make you think the world isn't all that bad.

Dave Ramsey is very basic and practical in his advice and just about anyone can make a difference in their situation. He seems to have a soft spot in his heart for families and hard workers. I don't always agree with everything he says. He's correct in that many money problems come from buying too much car or house and paying payments you cannot afford. He's always telling people to get rid of the expensive car and big car payment and replace it with a $1000-$2000 "beater" car. In my world a beater car would be a safety hazard and a constant repair hassle. I heard him tell a woman from Minnesota with 4 kids under age 6 to trade in her family minivan and get a cheap beater car. There's got to be a compromise that would be reasonable for a family in a Minnesota winter.

Yeah, the assumption that you can get 12% return is a little optimistic!

Most times I'm nodding my head in agreement with him, but sometimes I have to shake my head!

Last edited:
Dave Ramsey is very basic and practical in his advice and just about anyone can make a difference in their situation. He seems to have a soft spot in his heart for families and hard workers. I don't always agree with everything he says. He's correct in that many money problems come from buying too much car and paying payments you cannot afford. He's always telling people to get rid of the expensive car and big car payment and replace it with a $1000-$2000 "beater" car. In my world a beater car would be a safety hazard and a constant repair hassle. I heard him tell a woman from Minnesota with 4 kids under age 6 to trade in her family minivan and get a cheap beater car. There's got to be a compromise that would be reasonable for a Minnesota winter.
And if you think about it, the stories we hear in his radio show about out-of-control debt causing economic problems for households is being repeated at the macro level throughout the entire economy now. The entire economy is seeing a hangover from too much debt -- sadly, even hurting those who weren't in too much debt.

Although he talks a lot about increasing income, he seems to shy away from that when it comes to having moms stay at home. I sometimes think he allows his callers to struggle a little too much with "not enough income" in order to enable it.

And yes, that 12% ROI assumption on stock funds is ridiculous.

I listen to myself, and avoid the noise..........of course a Tanqueray and Tonic makes me feel smarter after I drink it.........:)

Where can I get your podcast / newsletter / gin and tonic guidance?

Although he talks a lot about increasing income, he seems to shy away from that when it comes to having moms stay at home. I sometimes think he allows his callers to struggle a little too much with "not enough income" in order to enable it.

I think his fundamentalist Christian perspective may influence his advice to callers regarding Mom staying at home. Also, while I don't want to open up a can of worms here, I think telling a family that is in desperate financial straits to keep paying their 10% tithe to their church is both unrealistic and irresponsible. I understand that others may feel differently about this (just as some people choose to trust in supernatural healing rather than modern medicine to cure their diabetic children), but it is not advice that I would give.

I like to listen [on radio] and watch [on FOX Business network] Dave Ramsey...
although I don't agree with him on debit cards vrs credit cards... I have no
debit card and put most fixed expenses on my cc, pay it off every month
and get free rewards.

Here in the DFW area, I listen to Ken Moraif on radio [KRLD 3pm Sat/ WFAA 3pm Sun]

~

Where can I get your podcast / newsletter / gin and tonic guidance?

Go to the store and buy the LARGEST bottle of Tanqueray you can find. Buy two bottles of Canada Dry tonic, and six of the largest limes you can find.

Liter glasses work best, after one of those, I'll share my investing strategy.........:D

Dave Ramsey: simple advice and sometimes wrong. Believes all debt is bad
and you should always pay off your mortgage. Mainly a "get out of debt"
cheerleader.
Ric Edelman: simple advice but rarely wrong. Believes you should not pay
off the mortgage and get the largest mortgage you can. Likes ETFs and
not index funds.
Both above use 12% as the return you'll get from stock market, I like to
see both in a good old fashion debate.
Ray Lucia: by far gives the best and more complex advice, but does have
some blind spots (loves real estate). Talks about corporations for small
businesses and goes beyond the rule of thumbs. Doesn't like bonds or
index funds, loves non-traded REITs.

All 3 are running commercials for their books, only Lucia's is worth
listening to on a regular basis IMOHO.
TJ

I think his fundamentalist Christian perspective may influence his advice to callers regarding Mom staying at home. Also, while I don't want to open up a can of worms here, I think telling a family that is in desperate financial straits to keep paying their 10% tithe to their church is both unrealistic and irresponsible. I understand that others may feel differently about this (just as some people choose to trust in supernatural healing rather than modern medicine to cure their diabetic children), but it is not advice that I would give.
Yea, I notice that too, one of many reasons why I would rather listen to
Susie O than Dave R.
TJ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom