Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I listen to Bob Brinker when I can - I like him and subscribe to his newsletter. He successfully called the 2000 market meltdown before anybody else (contrary to Cramer's claim). He did miss this meltdown but said that there was such panic that no one could have predicted it. He expects a market turnaround sometime in the last half of 2009. Contrary to what some conservative pundits are saying, Brinker thinks that Obama's ideas on bailing out all these industries is a good and positive thing for the government to do.

Brinker also says that if you are retired and find yourself needing extra cash, there is no shame in getting a part time job for awhile.

After the hit I've taken in my portfolio, and my worrying about having to go back to work at a career again, there is some comfort in his words.

I did not like Suze Orman; I thought her callers were rather simplistic. Then I heard her say, a few years ago, that you should pay off your mortgage before you contribute to your 401(k) - that way, if you lose your job, you will still have a house to live in and can get a job bagging groceries to pay your utilities.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Sweet, he has Podcasts too! I'm so there!

Bruce Williams Official Website

Thanks for posting - will also start listening to his podcasts.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've listened to them all over the years and what inevitably turns me off to any particular one is this pompous attitude that creeps in. Suzy O and Ramsey definitely fit into this category. Can't tolerate their attitude when I listen to them. Good advice or not. The advise is alway rote anyway.

Over that past 4-5 years I've listened to Jim Puplava on finacialsense.com. He is definitely slanted towards precious metals/energy and is a big proponent of the Peak Oil theory. I don't see many mentions of him here, but would suggest a listen given our current environment.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Direct thru WLS in Chicago's Adam Bold Show..on Saturday Mornings on 890 AM. He keeps up on Fund Mgrs. status and gives me a heads up on what they're upto and is more Positive about things than Boring Brinker and his Politics.. I think BB has just gotten too old for the game and should retire.. But AB is more of a Aggressive Growth type and not for conservatives..and of course, EVERYONE Listens to RUSH! Right?

;->) hehe
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I listen to Squawk Box on CNBC and The Street on BNN.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #46

A CFP/CPA in Atlanta does a nice podcast...name is Brian Preston, show is The Money Guy. I download it weekly from iTunes. I also get Steve Pomeranz's On the Money show via podcast. He's a CFP and wealth manager down in Florida. I enjoy both of these.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Listened to Brinker for years ... then got his news letter and stopped listening (he doesn't "work" that often anymore and his fill-in is TERRIBLE).
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
I've listened to them all over the years and what inevitably turns me off to any particular one is this pompous attitude that creeps in. Suzy O and Ramsey definitely fit into this category. Can't tolerate their attitude when I listen to them. Good advice or not. The advise is alway rote anyway.

Over that past 4-5 years I've listened to Jim Puplava on finacialsense.com. He is definitely slanted towards precious metals/energy and is a big proponent of the Peak Oil theory. I don't see many mentions of him here, but would suggest a listen given our current environment.
I am a big fan of Puplava the last 7 or 8 years he seems to be on course.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I have not heard him in many years maybe 15 or 20.
I will have to add him back to the list after many years.

Between these six you will really know what is going on in the world. I love them all. You will learn more from these six than going to college and it is free.

Alex Jones
Chuch Harder
Dave Ramsey
Clark Howard
Jim Puplava
Bruce Williams
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What financial radio show do you listen to regularly?

The one playing in my head...and I'm getting really tired of all those callers who want to make comments!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Direct thru WLS in Chicago's Adam Bold Show..on Saturday Mornings on 890 AM. He keeps up on Fund Mgrs. status and gives me a heads up on what they're upto and is more Positive about things than Boring Brinker and his Politics.. I think BB has just gotten too old for the game and should retire.. But AB is more of a Aggressive Growth type and not for conservatives..and of course, EVERYONE Listens to RUSH! Right?

;->) hehe
Adam Bold has a shady past. Did he talk about that?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I listen to Squawk Box on CNBC and The Street on BNN.
Why do you torture yourself so? :confused:

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #53

I like Click and Clack on "Car Talk". Does it qualify as a financial program if it saves me money on car repairs?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Sweet, he has Podcasts too! I'm so there!

Bruce Williams Official Website
I also listened to him many years ago and always found him to be informative and entertaining. I found him again some months ago and listened for a while but stopped. Maybe I'll give another shot.

He's becoming even more crotchety and crabby in his old age and comes across as rather arrogant and impatient many times. But overall he's down to earth and good to learn from.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I was older than you in the 80s but I really enjoyed listening to Bruce Williams. He gave good advice because he had had so many good and bad financial and legal experiences of his own to look back on. He admitted to starting quite a few businesses that failed and some that were successful. I listen to Dave Ramsey today mostly because of the people who call in and are in unbelievable financial messes.
Not to hijack the tread, if you guys aren't aware of it, Bruce Williams is still on XM radio, channel158 around 7 or 8 oclock eastern time. Jerry
Old 01-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRABBY JERRY View Post
Not to hijack the tread, if you guys aren't aware of it, Bruce Williams is still on XM radio, channel158 around 7 or 8 oclock eastern time. Jerry
How about Bernard Meltzer.I know he passed on, but I learned alot from him also.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #57

I listen to Jim Meredith's Your Money and You.

KDKA 1020 AM on Sunday mornings, 9-11am.

It is a call-in show. He is pretty knowledgable and a skillful listener.
Also, he not afraid to go out on a limb and express specific opinions on investments / financial advice (which of course exposes him to Mr. Market's humbling randomness).

Free
Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Listened to Brinker for years ... then got his news letter and stopped listening (he doesn't "work" that often anymore and his fill-in is TERRIBLE).
Agree - don't like his "fill-in" either.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Why do you torture yourself so? :confused:
Torture would be Jim Cramer. These other guys are like the weather channel. They have no idea why things are happening and keep giving lame reasons as the cause.

Quote:
The markets went down today because:
a) the price of oil went down, or
b) the price of oil went up.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #60

Frankly, I think most of the posters here know more than any of those 'radio advisors.' Whenever I hear Suze Orman or Dave Ramsey or Ric Edelman, I see them as advisors to beginners. My husband was watching Suze one day and realized we were so far ahead of what she was advocating. Once you reach the habit of LBYM and have significant assets, the game plan changes and I've yet to find anyone on the radio who helps with that - reading more complex books and coming here and reading about asset allocation is best. Tax management is another area I've yet to see adequately covered. Again, these are more complex topics.

Heck, the most interesting things I've read are the interviews they do with celebrities and financial advisors in the Dollar Stretcher website/email newsletter as well as one recent article in the WSJ. They talk about their own asset allocation...most are *very* conservative. And many who give the advice don't follow it themselves......