What is your withdrawal rate ?

Only 2.4% overall

but much much more from my taxable account. I hope to avoid a 72(t) but if I need to, I will. My income will jump once I tap my deferred accounts, so I am not income leveling, but it simplifies things taxwise.

We're about $15K under what we're supposed to spend for this year. I'm committed to the 4% SWR so it's time to put my money where my mouth is.

Congrats Moemg for making it on 2.5%. As long as you weren't depriving yourself, I don't see any problem at all with staying under 4%. As you know, some years you will be at 4% or even higher if you have large capital expenses. Plus, you can always take the trip of a life time or a one time splurge on something special if you're consistently staying under 4%. To me, it's more of a treat to do something special once in a great while than it would be to force myself to withdraw 4% every year and get used to spending it on things of less value to me.

If last year's dividends and end of the year mutual fund distributions were typical, I should be able to live on that for my normal expenses, kind of like CFB's plan. I know some people here like using CD ladders, but personally I like this approach better.

As long as you weren't depriving yourself, I don't see any problem at all with staying under 4%.

But there could be a problem: getting to an older age, having much more money than you could ever spend, and regretting that you didn't do more stuff back when you felt more like doing it.

Ours is a not particularly scientific model.

Dividends, interest, capital gains and other income goes into the checking account. When the checking account drops below $20k, its time to slow down or stop major and unnecessary expenditures until it pops back up. When it hits $40k+ I start looking at doing major renovation projects/purchases or reinvesting the money.

CFB. If you spend your capital gains how do you grow your portfolio?

I think he just means he spends his capital gains distributions. He still has unrealized capital gains accumulating in his portfolio (one hopes).

Audrey

If you don't mind me answering this, I'll take a shot.

If your mutual fund holds 1000 stocks, and sells 200 of them (partial or full sale) during a year, you only have capital gains (or losses) on those 200 sales. I think a mutual fund must distribute at least 90% of those capital gains, as well as dividends.

The other 800 stocks can increase (or decrease) in value, but if they haven't sold them there is no cap gain and no cap gains distribution. So the mutual fund can increase in value (growing your portfolio) through the stocks it continues to hold AND also provide a flow of income through distributions on the stocks it sells and dividends the stocks pay.

It's all variable based on how much trading there is in the fund, and how profitable the trading was. Dividend distribution tends to be more steady but there's no guarantee the fund manager will stay with some of those dividend producing stocks. And a lot depends on the type of fund. Actively managed funds tend to have more turnover and generate larger distributions than index funds.

That's why I don't think I'll plan on those alone as my cash flow and won't necessarily adjust my spending based on having larger or smaller distributions.

But it is a way of getting a cash flow that seems to be more or less what I think I will need. Some years I may need to liquidate more assets, others I may need to reinvest some of the distributions based on how much I get, and I may need to rebalance assets, but I think it will take some of the decision making on which assets to sell out of my hands. Or rather, when I make those decisions, most of the time it will be because of rebalancing or doing it on the merits of the investments, rather than having to make a decision to sell because I need the cash, either immediately or to fund a CD ladder for the future.

Put another way, reinvesting distributions is literally buying more shares of the mutual fund. It's a good forced savings while you are accumulating a nest egg. But when you are needing income from your investments, it doesn't make sense to me to automatically buy more of the mutual fund and have to sell something else. I'll take the money from the distibutions and then decide whether I want to use the money as income, invest in something else, or invest it back into the same fund.

As far as rebalancing goes, generally in a good year a stock fund will both have more distributions and also grow in value, so it makes sense take the distributions away from it. And in a bad year it generally has a smaller distribution and may go down in value, so it makes sense to get income from another source that had been doing better. Lots of exceptions there, of course, but I think the strategy is consistent with trying to keep a portfolio balanced without have to exchange assets too much.

There's probably a flaw in there that distributions and dividends from bond and money funds may be higher and throw off the balance. I still need to study that and see if I need to adjust my strategy.

But there could be a problem: getting to an older age, having much more money than you could ever spend, and regretting that you didn't do more stuff back when you felt more like doing it.

Thats the thing. Except for rare occasions when our cash flow drops severely negative (let see...like buying a new house and pumping a bunch of money into it?) we do exactly what we want without artificial limits that force us to not do something we want or feel like we didnt spend enough. Although we usually underspend by about 20-30k per year on what the funds throw off, but I dont mind reinvesting that.

Good answer by RunningBum, but basically my two bucket approach lets me take all the "throwoff" paid out by the funds in the first bucket (hey, i'm paying taxes on it anyhow) and the small chunk of equities in that first bucket helps give me a bit of growth and capital appreciation. I'm not cashing out internal appreciation, just the capital gains paid out by the funds.

I only need that bucket to get me past another 15-20 years, at which time I'm okay with it being depleted...although it probably wont be. My second bucket is mostly equities of the high volatility/return type, if and when the first bucket gets skimpy we'll choose a good point to shift some funds from the second bucket to the first.

My wife still works a few days a week, so that helps give us a small but reliable cash flow through the checking account. Whatever wimpy amount we get from social security and a few pensions will replace that cash flow when we're 62.

My worst case scenario has us running out of money between 85-90. If we need more money at that point and we're still kicking, we'll either sell the house and rent or reverse mortgage the property.

And there goes those dang illiquid real estate thingies throwing off cash again!

My likely scenario has my son inheriting $1.5-2.5M in todays dollars when he's in his 40's.

We're about $15K under what we're supposed to spend for this year. I'm committed to the 4% SWR so it's time to put my money where my mouth is.

So Al what are you going to spend your money on?

We went out to a really nice restaurant last night, but we split the meal so we only blew through $39.

I'm about to schedule our Hawaii trip for next March. That trip cost $3,000 last year, and we'll try to get that up to $4,000 or more with lots of eating out at nice restaurants, maybe a helicopter trip? Maybe we should fly first class!

Maybe a super quiet, super efficient fridge.

I can't justify a quieter dishwasher, since we just run it when noise isn't important.

Run the space heater in the bathroom more.

Maybe we should fly first class!

Scratch that. Airfare goes from about $900 coach to $2,200 first class. I don't think I could do that.

I'm about to schedule our Hawaii trip for next March. That trip cost $3,000 last year, and we'll try to get that up to $4,000 or more with lots of eating out at nice restaurants, maybe a helicopter trip?
If you're visiting Kauai, I enthusiatically recommend taking a helicopter trip with Inter-Island. They fly the 'Porsche' helicopters instead of the 'Cadillac' helicopters (that's how our pilot described it).

Door off. Four passengers max. I think we snapped about 70 pictures.

They drop you down at a (small) waterfall on private land.

Well worth the bucks in my opionion!

P.S. - You probably already have it, but I also recommend the Ultimate Guidebook. We used the Kauai and Big Island guidebooks to plan our trip. Well worth it!

After reading that Trombone Al was going to spend to use up his 4% withdrawal I decided I would also .Well I've been doing a lousy job of it .I did spend $125 on a new floor scrubber and $100 at JJill and now I've realized there is nothing else I want so I guess the money just rolls over into next year's account .How sad !

Moemg,

I don't see it as sad... you know the level of spending that makes you happy and don't go beyond it to buy things that you wouldn't value. The extra money rolls back in as a cushion for bad times or savings for when you decide that some big purchase is worthwhile.:cool:

TromboneAl,

Pictures from our Kauaii helicopter trip:

Attachments

• Helicopter.jpg
    Helicopter.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Kauaii Coffee.jpg
    Kauaii Coffee.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Waimea Canyon.jpg
    Waimea Canyon.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 126
  • Jurassic Park Waterfall.jpg
    Jurassic Park Waterfall.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Private Waterfall.jpg
    Private Waterfall.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 124
I'm going backwards. I bought $100 worth of stuff yesterday but I returned $250 worth of stuff. :(

I went really crazy today and bought warm socks and gloves and microwave plate covers.

I'm about to schedule our Hawaii trip for next March. That trip cost $3,000 last year, and we'll try to get that up to $4,000 or more with lots of eating out at nice restaurants, maybe a helicopter trip? Maybe we should fly first class!
You could try:
- one of the brand-name chain hotels,
- renting a fantasy vehicle like a Woody,
- spending a day at a spa,
- tow-in surfing lessons,
- kitesurfing/windsurfing lessons, and
- glider/parachuting lessons.

As much as I'd enjoy an Oahu surfing encore, you might enjoy the Big Island more. You could rent a home/condo in the Pahoa area, stay at Volcano Lodge, or try out a Kailua/Kona resort. You might find the Volcano weather to be a bit like your area, especially when the sun goes down.

My thought on helicopter rides is that you shouldn't go with the low bidder. Generally the more you pay, the more room you have and the quieter the flight. But I still haven't figured out how they decide which ride is going to get swatted out of the sky by weather or equipment failure or pilot errors, so I've never ridden in one.

I did spend $125 on a new floor scrubber and $100 at JJill and now I've realized there is nothing else I want so I guess the money just rolls over into next year's account .How sad !
Coulda bought a Scooba.

Or you could boost your charitable contributions?

Roomba and Scooba rule! :cool:

Especially for households where both spouses work.

Back
Top Bottom